Sony A7II + Minolta APO 100-300mm

drasko2015

Got my new Lense and Adapter :-)  The Lense cost me only 70€. This old Tele Lense is pretty lightweight for its focal length and i´m quite surprised how good the results are :-)

No sharpening on those samples, just usual LR workflow, but you have to boost the contrast and saturation quite a lot.

Again this is a very good bargain if you are looking for a tele lense!

Here are some Pics i made today with Sony A7II + Minolta APO 100-300mm:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

don´t know about a maxxum, its the Minolta APO 100-300mm F4,5-5,6

here are some pics how it looks

some more

Nice pictures! That's the Minolta AF mount (aka Maxxum) that was later renamed to Sony Alpha when Sony bought that department of Konica Minolta. If you had the LA-EA4 adapter (or LA-EA3, i'm not sure about that one) you could have full autofocus on that lens!

I bought a Sigma 70-300mm f4-5 6 Macro yesterday (i'm pretty sure it also says that it's APO) for about 36 euros! That was a steal, and hopefully it'll perform similarly to yours (but the weather is really dull here in Norway now, so I haven't gotten to test it that much yet). It's made for the Sony Alpha mount, so it has full autofocus on the LA-EA4.

What's the closes focus distance you get on that lens?

thx :-) i´m using this cheap adapter here from xcsource EUR 16,99 it´s manual only and has an aperture dial, the lense itself has no dial for aperture http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B008H2HYJS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

i had the Tamron AF 70-300mm 4-5.6 Di SP VC USD which has quite the same quality, maybe a tack sharper and has better contrast, but still costs a lot more and heavier

i will test the focus distance soon

here are some more of my first testshots:

Minimum Focus Distance @ 100mm is about 1,30m

here are some more shots:

I use the Minolta APO 100-300mm "D" lens on my sony A77. Works great and for traveling much prefer it to the SONY 70-300 G.

smaller, lighter, works  as well as the G lens but for the focus noise. The "D" version was the latest version, larger focus ring and 8 pin connection

so works with ADI or TTL flash

Hello drasko2015

I came across this thread and your really nice photos taken with the 100-300mm APO, linked from the Sony Alpha Rumors site.  I too have the new A77II and as Gene above posted, mine is also the "D" version.  I also love shooting with this lens for its reach, light weight and I feel quite decent sharpness.  Attached is a photo I took in Feb on a tripod at slower exposure at dusk.  BUT I have a question for you with your lens and your A77II.  One of my other cameras I use a lot for family and convenient shooting is my original NEX 5N.  And one of my favorite lenses period, that I use with that camera is the Sony SEL18-200 fat boy.  Sony Alpha SEL18200 E-mount 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Lens (Silver).  With the crop factor this is also 300mm at full telephoto.  The stabilization is off the charts with this lens as it was produced for video as well and has a little extra going for it from what I have read.  Hand held at 300mm FL if you get relaxed the image just floats incredibly slowly to allow plenty sharp shots with not super fast shutter speeds.  

After reading all the hype on the 5 axis IBIS on the A7II, I have to say I am not seeing anywhere near that kind of smoothness with the APO lens and the A7II.  The focal length manually entered space is grayed out, so it is reading and the EXIF files show my correct FLs.  Plus like Gene mentioned it's the D model with 8 pin connection.  I'm wondering if my IBIS is working correctly or working.  I don't think I'm even seeing much stabilization if at all with my 135mm Minolta "Pocket Rocket" prime.  With my 55mm FE mount Sony Zeiss prime, yes I can see stabilization, but it's not blowing me away like I am with that fat boy silver lens above.

So I am wondering how smooth your image looks at 300mm or less with your A77II body?  I got mine from B&H in December and am wondering if I need to send it in to Sony to have checked out.

Well..... questions above remain, but at this point I cannot figure out how to upload the photo??  Maybe if you see my questions and reply you could kindly let me know on that too.  I don't see how to upload to my Media folder as well.  Feeling dumb.  And what is max file size and/or resolution you can upload?

Thanks much

Ron

thx :-)

i´m using A7II (Not a77II) the IBIS actually is only working on 3 Axis when an adapter is attached, saying that the IBIS still works amazingly good.

Heres how i´m taking pictures all of the time with all lenses i have:

I only use my adapted lenses full manual, i´ve set a custom button on the back of the a7II so i can use it as a backbutton focus, when i press the button the ibis is really working excellent and i can hold it quite for a while still that way without even touching the shutter

then i press a custom button again for the magnifier and focus manual on the lense till i see the picture 100% sharp in the viewfinder, keep as still as you can and again press and hold the backfocus button, again hold still and press the shutter

the "smoothness" you mentioned is nothing really special i make: but i always shoot in raw and i´m trying to keep the ISO as low as possible. Often i´m using ISO100 where i should not probably but because of the IBIS working that good i still can hold the cam still, and in lightroom i just pump up the exposure when the picture is too dark. In lightroom i´m always trying not to sharpen the pictures (lightroom detects some kind of sharpening by itself, depending on the lense, i never touch that) Also don´t overdose the clarity and not too much luminance when you used high iso

also keep in mind when you are exporting your pictures in lightroom for facebook or forums to resize your images, check sharpening for screen (don´t check this if you have not croped your image or changed the size) in the export dialogue, for forums use size 1200px on the longes side, for facebook 2048 px on the longest side

here are some more pictures from today with this lense, it´s a real joy using it: