A7 with Flashpoint Xplor 600TTL and R2 Transmitter Issues

I wanted to pass along some initial observations regarding the Flashpoint Xplor 600 TTL and the R2 transmitter used with my Sony A7. I just got this yesterday and have not had much time with it, however I did run into some issues right off. 

First off, I believe both my units have the current firmware. Version 2.3 for the Xplor 600 and version 1.4 for the R2. It's gonna be fun when a new firmware is released since the firmware update software is only supported on Windows platforms. So if you're one of these old diehard Mac users, such as myself, you're going to have to borrow a Windows PC or laptop. 

With that out of the way, let me just say that I'm excited to get to working with this strobe. I think for the money, you can't go wrong. I went with the TTL version simply because the non-TTL was on backorder and I did not want to wait. It will be nice to have the TTL capability, but I won't be using that most of the time. Once I got everything setup and verified that both my transmitter and strobe were on the same channel and in the same group, I started testing. I immediately ran into issues in both TTL mode and manual. In TTL, the flash would not sync with the shutter. It seemed to fire early and resulted in very dark exposures. In manual mode, the strobe would not fire at all. The transmitter was talking to the strobe, but would not fire with a shutter press. The flash Mode set on my A7 was wireless, which is the recommendation I had seen in several reviews of the Xplor 600. After perusing the forums, such as this one, I saw someone mention that the transmitter would also work in fill flash mode. As soon as I switched the A7 over to fill flash mode, everything started working. Switched back to wireless and nothing. I know some of the reviews I watched were with an A7RII, so perhaps wireless flash mode works on that, but not on my A7. 

I'm sure I'll have more issues to work out moving forward, but for now I'm able to shoot with the Xplor 600 and I'm ready to challenge the sun! 

you have the A7 and I recently got the Sony A7R and for the life of me i cant seem to get it pass the flash sync speed of 60. I want to know if it is default to that speed or there is something in body that i can fix to get rid of it. Was on a photographers link up and i used my Nikon version of the Godox trigger and it fired each time and i am sure i was over 60, All Lights used was the Godox AD600. Now i am trying again and its not working, i want to know if there is a setting that i can change inbody to move the shutter from default 60 to atleast 1/160 i am also trying HSS and its not working and i know my Godox have that capability as i used it all the time with my Nikon D750. Dont want to be buying different flashes and triggers all the time as i have the YN flash and Triggers too suited for my Nikon. So is it a case where as i need to get the Sony Version of the AD600 trigger as my friend suggested then i can do that or i can just use a filter instead to get the results that i need, even tho i will be shooting action soon & will need that HSS Capability.

• 1 month later...

There are many good You-Tube videos on using these inexpensive TTL/HSS transmitter with Sony cameras...I bought the Neewer - which s the same as Godox or Flashpoint...I use them with the inexpensive Neewer flashes which connect via radio control....from the one transmitter...They work great. My only complaint is the flashes will use batteries. Apparently, the newer large 800 series flash from Neewer now has a lithium battery with it and I assume it works on the Sony ar7ii. 

• 1 month later...

If you haven’t figured it out already, you do NOT want the Sony in wireless flash mode. Leave it in normal mode. I moved from Nissin flashes which required wireless mode to Godox and learned very quickly that the Godox flashes and strobes were not set up for Sony’s wireless protocol. There is an enormous wealth of Godox info in the Godox users group on Facebook, they would know much more on flash performance. It’s a great resource. https://www.facebook.com/groups/godoxusergroup/