Help with Sony a6000 Portrait Photo

I been trying to take picture of model portrait and having trouble of getting the right color down and the hair is only shinny or clear as it should be. any help is appreciated. example is this one picture where the color is total different and really bright.

I been trying to take picture of model portrait and having trouble of getting the right color down and the hair is only shinny or clear as it should be. any help is appreciated. example is this one picture where the color is total different and really bright.

Lots of variables here, but adjusting white balance needs to be addressed.  Using a gray card can help set it, otherwise experiment with the different white balance settings available.  Sharpness depends upon point of focus, lens focal length,  depth of field, aperture settings, and lighting.  There is no easy quick fix.

Okay thanks so much for you response tinplater. This help is a lot as to know what i need to adjust so far. I usually only always set my white balance to auto white balance. Now i will have to try different ones. Which metering mode will i use for this type shot, back of hair and front of head to chest portrait. is it best for my to keep my iso at 100 ? my aperture i keep at 3.2 with  2.8 being lowest. my current lens is the sony 30mm 1:2.8 dn046

Guest Jaf-Photo

I don't see the example. But the lighting conditions are the biggest variable. You have to shoot differently if you shoot in the bright midday sun, with studio lighting or with office lighting.

The best thing is to start with lighting conditions that you are comfortable with and can manage.Tne best natural source of lighting is actually a window which is out of the sun.

As to the photos you already have, select the Camera Neutral profile. Then adjust the colour temp and tint sliders carefully back and forth until the colours look natural. Then you can increase saturation a litte and decrease vibrancy a little.

That should give you a more natural looking portrait.

The nice thing about digital is you can take scores, hundreds of test images and many of the variables are embedded in the exif data so you can later check on what worked and what didn't.  You might start with the "portrait" mode for just a base test image.  Then move on to manipulate the various settings and draw your own conclusions.  When I am shooting a portrait of my daughter, for example, I use either my 50mm 1.4 or 90mm 2.8 at widest aperture possible, lowest ISO possible in aperture priority mode.  I generally use AWB and adjust it later if necessary.  Eye autofocus is very helpful.  Generally use a tripod if convenient.

You hafta hit the "more reply option" button and then 

you will see controls below the text-entry field.   

First you "choose" an image file, then you "attach" it.  

You usually hafta upload copies that you specifically 

make with greatly reduced pixel count and file sizes 

for purpose of posting to the forum. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a sigma 30 mm 2.8 lens. Can someone help with video configuration ? I own the sony a6000. Still learn this camera.

I would suggest you go to youtube and do a tutorial search for video with the a6000.  It is quite complicated with many options.  Settings are more camera dependent than lens dependent but you should get excellent video with the Sigma lens.