Will the a6500 be updated within the next 90 days?

• 1 month later...

With an August vacation date you're going to run out of time before you get your answer.

Do you really believe Sony intends to continue with an APS-c line?

They are certainly very cautious about enlarging their Sony E lenses.

On the other hand, they've been pushing out full-frame cameras and FE lenses like pancakes at a church fund-raiser.

Up to a wek ago I would have said the 6xxx lines would fade away but there have  been a series of new discounts to the 6000 and 6300. That's usually a sign of a new model being introduced. And too, it will be a year this October when the 6500 was introduced. October  is also when a  large photo expo will take place.

Bottom line, there's no point to your waiting but there's a chance that a new 6000-series camera and/or lenses will be annunced.

Suspect no new a6x00 anytime soon. With the exception of the a9 the a6500 has most of Sony's newest sensor and processing tech. a7ii line is coming up on 3 years old and is due for a refresh. Signs are for this fall. Expect it will get most of a6500's tech, like 4d focusing and features in ff. FWIW, a6500 makes a7ii feel sort of dated. A9s has been rumored since its release. If that also shows up late this year along with a7iii it is enough for this year without walking on each other.

FWIW, I have liked the a6500 very much, so much so my a7ii has not been out if the bag since I got it. I have too many Minolta and Sony A mount lenses so IBIS is what sold the a6500 for me. With focus motor in lens lenses the a6500 and LA-EA3 adapter is just about as fast focusing as with native E lenses. With older screw drive A mount lenses the LA-EA2 works very well, not quite the amazingly quick focus and tracking of native E, but pretty good. Used A mount lenses are dirt cheap these days. They are a lot of capability without breaking the bank on glass. LA-EA3 (abt $150) and a Sigma 18-250mm (another $150) has made a good walk around combination, as does the adapter and a Sony 35mm f1.8 (abt $125) a nice prime on the a6500. Curiously the A mount 35mm f1.8 rates higher and is cheaper than the similar lens in native E. I like the collapsible 16-50mm kit lens, although some people do not. It is very compact and flaws are mostly corrected in camera so you never see them in JPGs if that's what you shoot. Corrections are easy in post with raw. More than you wanted to know, but one inexpensive way to configure an a6500 system.

Up to a wek ago I would have said the 6xxx lines would fade

away but there have  been a series of new discounts to the

6000 and 6300. That's usually a sign of a new model being

introduced. ............

Yes, things do follow a pattern such as you describe.   

Except, IMNSHO, the new 6xxx model is not over the 

horizon ... it's the recently delivered a6500. All other 

Sony models now need to play catch-up to the a6500.  

The current discounts are simply typical.  a6000, and

6300, production is surely all finished, and they'll just 

gradually shave the price until inventory is depleted. 

IOW, look to the a7 [original] as a recent example of 

the pattern.  

Personally, the a7-II is my 'Goldilocks' camera, and I 

look forward to getting a 2nd body when inventory of 

its generation is cleared out at about $1100 :-) 

You may both be right. We may know better after October.

But Sony is unpredictable (as in he case of the a6500 pushed out so quickly after the a6300). It's not a  traditional camera manufacturer as  in he case of Canon and Nikon. 

And yes, the a6500 specs are awesome. But the camera can still be  improved. The touch scree LCD is only half as functional as Panasonic's, Canon's, etc. The menu screens are still awkward and there are still functions missing that other cameras have.

And marketing-wise, "new ad Improved" works in everything from automobiles to toothpaste.

In any case I'm delighted what Sony has made available to us photographers.

Hi Stratis, I pretty much agree, and with your earlier observation that Sony has been pushing ff really hard too. Their recovery strategy from a couple of years ago focused on introducing "disruptive technology" to increase their market share and profitability. They certainly have done that with vigor and success. Nikon is on the ropes and Canon is treading water while Sony is making good money.

Most Sony model releases have had a major distinguishing technology feature, for example in the a7ii and a6500 it was IBIS. That makes the next releases likely hinge on dramatic "disruptive technology". A7iii gets that with the a6500 sensor technology in ff, data path and 4D focus tracking. The a6500 likely waits for an update until Sony figures it is time for a9 technology to run downhill when it has dramatic new stuff for the a9. I will bet that every new release will have the new battery out of the a9 and that the other features fall out here and there secondary to dramatic features that mark new model releases.

I don't believe Sony will take its foot off the gas while it has its biggest competitors on the run and is changing the technology of photography for fun and profit.

Wonderful isn't it? Each new Sony camera brings more delightful features.

• 1 month later...

With an August vacation date you're going to run out of time before you get your answer.

Do you really believe Sony intends to continue with an APS-c line?

They are certainly very cautious about enlarging their Sony E lenses.

On the other hand, they've been pushing out full-frame cameras and FE lenses like pancakes at a church fund-raiser.

Up to a wek ago I would have said the 6xxx lines would fade away but there have  been a series of new discounts to the 6000 and 6300. That's usually a sign of a new model being introduced. And too, it will be a year this October when the 6500 was introduced. October  is also when a  large photo expo will take place.

Bottom line, there's no point to your waiting but there's a chance that a new 6000-series camera and/or lenses will be annunced.

I agree with much of what you stated. I do believe that Sony is committed to the APS-C line without question. Video! They have to be present at that price point below FF. Video though. The a6500 is a really good option for most people shooting video. I am about to dump my a7iii and pickup an a6500 or wait on the next a7s update. Both the a7R and a7ii are ready for retirement. Those cameras don't make any sense in the line up.