looking for a 2.8 zoom for fashion/beauty work.

I just picked up an a711 as a spare system to compliment my canon 5d mark 3. i bought it thinking that the metabones adaptor would be simple way of keeping my canon lenses and not having too many lenses and weight in my kit for travel. The bad surprise is that the metabones autofocus is completely useless...for fashion...it's way too slow...and it really has problems hunting in many lighting conditions...especially in back light and shadows...which is frequently the light i shoot in. 

So i purchased the 24 70 f4 sony lens hoping that this single lens would be adequate...and grabbed a 55 1.8, for a faster alternative for portraits.

Sadly the 24 70 is so bad compared to my canon glass.  Very digital looking, f4 is just too slow, and the Bokah is not pretty.  Colors change radically with different light conditions, and the distortion is horrendous.

I'm desperate for a decent lens for this system.  I really want a 2.8 24 70 zoom. I just can't believe there is nothing out there?  does anyone have a pro solution for this.  I'm not fast enough to manually focus in every situation i shoot in...so that's not an alternative...sadly. 

The only best fit from your description is probably to get the 24-70 for the Sony alpha range and the adapter, that apparently gives virtually native auto focus (the more expensive adapter of the 2 Sony do).

However, toy might be missing the advantages of the system?

My previous setup was 5Dm3 + 24-70 F2.8, and other canon L lenses. I have kept the Canon and a long lens for sports, but everything else is now with an A7S and prime lenses, plus the 16-35.

For the weight of a DSLR 24-70F2.8 lens I can have the A7S and 2 lenses! With the FE 35 on it fits in my jacket pocket, and a small bag adds the 55, 135 and (soon) a 15mm.

It depends on your usage, but the type of lens you are used to isn't really available for the A7s, but people don't seem to mind to much...

Shame re manual focus, which I find is a game changer in the A7ii.... pixel peaking, zebra's for exposure and most importantly focus magnify in the viewfinder !!!, together with the IBIS.  

I also own a Canon 6D, and I shoot Canon primes (and Zeiss Contax and Leica primes (MF only)).  I struggled nailing manual focus on the Contax/Leica glass with the 6D, and just couldn't do the live view when hand held to focus assist.  I fitted the matte precision screen, which just didn't help enough. So (hand held) MF with Canon didn't work out for me.   

With the Sony I'm hitting critical focus (I shoot predominantly stationary stuff), and if i was after a 2.8 zoom in the range you're after, I'd suggest the Contax 35-70 f/3.4...or the Sonnar 85 2.8, (with EF adaptor) or the Canon 100L,  but only for MF on the Sony.

If you haven't already done so, try assigning Focus Magnify to the (AEF AF/MF) soft button, I find that sits nicely under thumb to bring up focus magnify through Custom settings, making MF respectably fast (esp with Pixel peaking on (set to Hi and Red) to rough focus)...give it some time, I find I'm getting fairly proficient, and am not limited by AF points...  

Having said all that, stick with the Canon for AF.  

The only best fit from your description is probably to get the 24-70 for the Sony alpha range and the adapter, that apparently gives virtually native auto focus (the more expensive adapter of the 2 Sony do).

Yeah that's the only choice for now alas. There are a few such lenses available with the alpha mount, this website does a nice comparison of a few:

http://kurtmunger.com/tamron_sony_28_75mmid141.html

I just picked up an a711 as a spare system to compliment my canon 5d mark 3. i bought it thinking that the metabones adaptor would be simple way of keeping my canon lenses and not having too many lenses and weight in my kit for travel. The bad surprise is that the metabones autofocus is completely useless...for fashion...it's way too slow...and it really has problems hunting in many lighting conditions...especially in back light and shadows...which is frequently the light i shoot in. 

So i purchased the 24 70 f4 sony lens hoping that this single lens would be adequate...and grabbed a 55 1.8, for a faster alternative for portraits.

Sadly the 24 70 is so bad compared to my canon glass.  Very digital looking, f4 is just too slow, and the Bokah is not pretty.  Colors change radically with different light conditions, and the distortion is horrendous.

I'm desperate for a decent lens for this system.  I really want a 2.8 24 70 zoom. I just can't believe there is nothing out there?  does anyone have a pro solution for this.  I'm not fast enough to manually focus in every situation i shoot in...so that's not an alternative...sadly. 

It's an adapter that's using contrast AF so it will be quite slow and hunting for focus.

Are you shooting at wide apertures for your fashion & beauty work?

Although the 24-70 is the weakest optically in the lineup; I like the lightweight yet metal exterior. The 28-70 is pretty good too surprisingly but probably not wide enough aperture for you.

Best bet is the 55 1.8 you have now. There is currently the 70-200 f4, 35mm 1.4 or 2.8, and the 85 1.8 coming in July.

The A7 raw files have a cool color palette in general which is probably where you're "very digital looking" is coming from? Adjust the white balance & color grade in post if you have to.

Yeah that's the only choice for now alas. There are a few such lenses available with the alpha mount, this website does a nice comparison of a few:

http://kurtmunger.com/tamron_sony_28_75mmid141.html

thanks for they replies...I guess you mean the zeis 2.8 lens.  that sounds like the only choice to me too.  theres not much info out there about that lens...no one is raving about it. but i guess i should try that one out...it does sound like it might work. 

Just wanted to add that if you check my link above and scroll down a bit, they compare the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 to the Sony 28-75mm f2.8 to the Zeiss 24-70mm f2.8. Oddly the cheap Tamron did very well, this one:

http://kurtmunger.com/tamron_af_28_75mm_f_2_8id144.html

I did a quick check on ebay and that lens can be had for around $250, then you'd need another $350 or so for the Sony LAEA4 a-mount to e-mount adapter. The lens weighs 507g compared to 426g for the standard e-mount Zeiss 24-70 f4.0. Not too shabby for an f 2.8 lens assuming 28mm is wide enough for you. It doesn't have OIS but if you want it purely for photography then maybe that won't matter. I've never used the LAEA4 but I've heard that it autofocuses well. I think you maybe lose 1/3rd of a stop of light with it because of the mirror, but not 100% sure on that.

The only alternative to Sony 24-70 f2.8 CZ (and your Canon L) in terms of optical quality and range is the Tamron SP 24-70 f2.8 Di USD.

Can be used to autofocus fast with the LAEA4 and you have IBIS in your A7II. You should use it along with a battery grip to get a more balanced setup.