Sony A9 - Yes or No?

I currently use the A6500 (mostly for sports/action), the camera works great for me and I'm completely happy with it. Having said that, reading the specifications of the new A9 are making my mouth water; Mostly the 20fps with silent shutter, I can only get 3fps silent mode on my A6500.

I'm not going to commit to buying one until I see some real world samples of it in use, but was wondering if anyone is thinking of jumping to the A9 ?

If at some point they offer a trade-in deal, for an existing A7, I would have no trouble ordering one.

Otherwise, I wait for the high res version, or an A7mk3 with similar ergo changes.

I think the camera will be a hit.

Guest Jaf-Photo

A very nice camera but unless you can make practical use of the high speed, there are cheaper options that may be better for your needs.

A very nice camera but unless you can make practical use of the high speed, there are cheaper options that may be better for your needs.

Agreed; For the sport that I cover I could definitely use that 20fps, and having it silent helps to reduce the distraction level for the competitors as I know they can hear the shutter.

I currently have an A7S1, and and A7R2. 

While some features appeal to me, it looks like less high iso performance than the A7S.  As a nightlife photographer that's my single most important criteria.  

I want better high iso performance, or more megapixels at the same performance as the S. 

Sony has a habit of releasing improvements one model at a time, so its usually better to jump 2-3 upgrades than buy whatever the newest thing is.

I don't feel like I am outshooting the ability of either body.  I am still the weakest link. 

I am much more interested in the 16-35 GM...

JCC

As to "yes or no" .... YES :-)   

It's just my feeling about it. I don't actually need it.  

Acoarst I don't really NEED a camera. But, when 

it comes to using one, given my druthers I druther  

use that one. 

Also I'm not in the least sooprize to see how many 

replies indicate that "only 24MP" misses the mark

for them. "We" are quite amused at that.  

To me, 20FPS is a great tool .... and I don't shoot  

sports or other action things. I could use 100FPS.

The less delay between nearly identical images, 

the more nearly identical they will be .... and the

less total time needed to produce several frames.  

The biggest take-away I have from the latest reviews is that the AF and FPS are exactly what I am looking for. The battery life that some reviewers got is more than enough for still shots; I've seen reviews mentioning 8K shots on one battery.

I don't do video so the loss of picture profiles does not bother me, I'm willing to bet that Sony will issue a firmware update very soon to put them in anyway.

The big issue seems to be the slow write speed once that buffer fills up. I do wish Sony would put a hi-speed 128GB memory chip into the camera itself and store all the images on that, then it could write to SD card on-demand or in the background when no photos/video were actually being taken. Using that method we wouldn't need dual card slots. A single SD card could be used as a backup for the on-board memory chip instead. That would also allow faster uploads from camera to computer too.

I'm seriously thinking of getting one… the price though… 

https://youtu.be/VTL453yF5BQ?t=21s

Nope, not for Me, I need the better dynamic range and resolution from my a7r2, as impressive as the 20fps is it doesn't really serve much use to Me, if and when the need arises I can see myself hiring the A9 for the odd assignment but I can't see myself investing in this model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've seen a few reviews of A9 that mention a drop in image quality over the A7… I am wondering what RAW converter they are using, as I understand it may be different from other Sony cameras. Perhaps someone with some in-depth knowledge of the Sony RAW formats can chime in.

The biggest take-away I have from the latest reviews is that the AF and FPS are exactly what I am looking for. The battery life that some reviewers got is more than enough for still shots; I've seen reviews mentioning 8K shots on one battery.

I don't do video so the loss of picture profiles does not bother me, I'm willing to bet that Sony will issue a firmware update very soon to put them in anyway.

The big issue seems to be the slow write speed once that buffer fills up. I do wish Sony would put a hi-speed 128GB memory chip into the camera itself and store all the images on that, then it could write to SD card on-demand or in the background when no photos/video were actually being taken. Using that method we wouldn't need dual card slots. A single SD card could be used as a backup for the on-board memory chip instead. That would also allow faster uploads from camera to computer too.

I'm seriously thinking of getting one… the price though… 

https://youtu.be/VTL453yF5BQ?t=21s

Sony sells special cards pretty much equal to the built-in 

that you desire. They cost about $200 from retailers. 

• 4 weeks later...