A99 Flash sync problem above 1/200s

If anybody out there has an a99 (not an a99II or ANY other Sony camera) please test it with a non dedicated Sony flash at 1/250s shutter speed and tell me if you get a shutter-shadow as if you set your camera above the maximum advertised sync speed of 1/250... like the shadow you would get if you set it at 1/320s (without HSS). Feel free to use both the hot shoe and/or PC connection on the side of the camera. Both connections produce the same result for me.

I have two a99s with this problem and after searching (a99 flash sync problem) on the web it appears I'm not alone, several people have had this problem.

I've been told this is normal If I'm not using a dedicated Sony on-camera flash. I don't think this is normal. You shouldn't have to use a Sony on-camera dedicated flash to achieve the 1/250s spec advertised sync speed. This is the first Sony/Minolta camera to have a standard universal hot shoe to use aftermarket lighting, it'd be ridiculous to limit the sync speed for doing so.

I have previously received input, theories and comments regarding this issue but no actual testing. And some people have said after testing all their Sony cameras they don't have this problem... but they didn't test an a99...  So I'd greatly appreciate it if a few people did some testing with their a99. Please do the test indoors in a dimly lit room. It probably won't be noticeable outdoors in daylight.

I appreciate any help.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!