Best Camera for Large Prints 2'x 3'

I don't think there is such a beast as the best camera. Possibly more important is to specify the type of work you (want to) do and what lenses you might want to use. Ultra fast autofocus, an "arty" look or insane "scientific" resolution? Low natural light or highly controllable studio lighting? I use an MP240 to print 1.2x2m but that camera is useless for most of my (hobby only) needs - low light video (I use an A7s). Budget is important - but more important are your ideas and how best to achieve your goals.

Tim

I have to agree with Snowfun above.  There really isn't a "best camera", only the best for a specific purpose.  Sticking with Sony, if all you want is a camera to turn out large prints you probably want high resolution.  If so, the Sony A7R or the next generation A7R II probably fits the bill.  

However, the A7R might not meet your demands if those large prints are going to be of sports/wildlife where you need fast autofocus, or your large prints are going to be shot in nightclub, wedding, etc. environments where you're shooting in low light, or ...

How large of prints is also a consideration?  For 2'x3' prints the best camera might be the A7 II if you're not planning to paper a whole wall.  Or even the A7S if you need low light performance over and above simply large prints; a large, blurry shot in a low light environment is far worse than a sharp lower resolution print.

Maybe a Sony camera is not the right match for your demands?  Maybe the latest 50 MPixel cameras to hit the market are what you need?

Many things to consider...

• 2 weeks later...

My son is an trekking enthusiast! He was traveling with an bridge camera FUJI HS30 all over the world! 

From each trip, he select one picture, and gets it enlarged on canvas to an poster size of 120 x 80cm in an stunning quality!

This 16MP camera has an comparable small sensor, but the image quality is quiet stunning!

So I guess, it is not always required to shoot with heavy calibers onto little sparrows!    ;)

The two images where shot at Mongolia!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I saw many A7S (12MP) images printed at 3' x 2' recently at the World Photography Awards. At this "extremely" low resolution, Portraits looked perfect, Landscapes were not distracting, only Architecture was a little compromised.

Therefore, while the highest MP camera would seem the obvious choice for large printouts, any modern camera is usable at that size.

If however extreme detail is what you want, A7R + 55mm FE (else Nikon D810E + Otus).

You already own a camera fully capable of very

excellent 2x3 foot prints, or even much larger.

Any modern APS or FF will make 2x3 foot prints,

even with a moderate amount of cropping. But if

you usually shoot at 5-digit ISO, then the field is

gonna narrow considerably. But as far as simply

print size, here's a sample.

We made this for a noob who feared he needed

several thousand dollars for a project involving

5 foot prints of celebs [he has access]. He said

you gotta be able poke your nose on the print

and still see no digital artifacts. Our sample shot

is not for nose poking. But it's flawless at 1 foot

viewing distance from a 5 foot image size: 

http://www.sonyalphaforum.com/gallery/sizes/448-nick-sample-crop-e2-w/large/

There are limits to the quality of files that can be

uploaded, but you can get the idea from the link

to my gallery on this forum. It's cropped from a

full "head-and-shoulders" view, using a modern,

but not latest model, camera and a 30 years old

lens and equally old flash. IOW a very affordable

way to make 5 foot prints, sharp, without digital

artifacts. OTOH, this was shot at a low ISO. To

get this quality at rather high ISO, an A7S would

be my choice. YMMV.

Guest PenGun

OK. ;) I have an a7R because it will fill my 360DPI requirements for a native 16x20 print on my Eppy 3800. Simple enough?