Why doesn't the aperture remain open while focusing with my new Sony 50mm macro?

papilio

I just received the Sony SEL50M28 FE 50mm lens a few days ago, and I quickly realized that despite having Live View Display > Setting Effect > OFF, the aperture iris follows the dialed-in value at all times rather than remaining at f/2.8 (wide open) until the shutter is snapped. While I typically shoot in M, I noticed that if I have the mode set to P then the aperture does remain open until the shutter is half-pressed.

This is my first native lens, until now I've been using Zeiss and Canon on a Metabones IV. I keep the Metabones in Green mode which overrides the value of Live View Display > Setting Effect and always holds the aperture open until the shutter snaps, so this is the first time I've had a situation allowing this issue to surface.

The a7R II has firmware v.3.3 and lens v.01.

Sony Support has indicated that either the camera or lens may be at fault and suggested that I travel to the nearest Sony Dealer (a fair drive away) and attach other lenses to try to isolate the problem.

Before I do that, does anybody have an idea of something which I may be missing?

Thanks!

This sounds like the normal ... admittedly unfortunate ... behavior 

of the latest Sony gear. I have five different Sony E-mount bodies 

and, altho not including a 7R-II, I did notice that different models 

stop down or don't stop down, prior to exposure, dependent upon 

the mode in use. Run a search within the forum and you'll find a 

great deal of discussion about this. 

If you want to aggravate yourself, go deal with Sony service :-(   

You can also search this forum get the dirt on Sony service :-( :-(