Sony customer support problem

I emailed Sony support. I am looking for a USB powered battery charger. The camera can charge batteries using a USB cable but I would like an external charger powered in the same way. It would be like a wall charger, but instead of it being mainspowered, it would be powered by a USB source.

>Thank you for contacting the Sony Alpha Email Response Team.

I understand that you're looking for a battery charger that is USB powered. I can see how important this is to you.

Regarding your concern, We recommend the BC-QM1 charger. I have included a direct link for purchasing it and the product detailed information below.

Should you need further assistance please feel free to send us an e-mail.

Please refer to E61111730 as your reference for this transaction.

Thank you for choosing Sony. Have a great day.

I replied with

>Thank you for the reply. The instruction manual of that charger says “ˎˎ The USB connector of this unit is for output only. Do not connect it to the USB port of a computer, etc. Doing so may cause a malfunction.” This is a bit concerning…

Are you sure this charger can accept a USB power source?

Kind regards

They replied with

>The ILCE7 can charge via the Micro USB Port connected to a USB Charger or any other USB Ports that supplies power.

Please make sure that the camera is turned off in order for it to charge.

If the camera is turned on when plugged into a Micro USB port, It will go to Data Connection Mode where it allows you to transfer files to a computer.

The same Micro USB Port on the camera can be used for accessories such as using a Compatible Wired Remote Control.

We hope this answers your query.

Thank you for choosing Sony

I replied with

>Please read what I said. EXTERNAL USB CHARGER. NOT IN CAMERA CHARGER.

I am looking for an EXTERNAL CHARGER POWERED BY USB. 

Kind regards

They replied with

>You can use the BC-QM1 charger by docking your camera battery directly in it then plugging the charger to a wall outlet

-or-

By plugging the BC-QM1 Charger to a wall outlet, then plugging a USB Cable in its' USB Port, then plugging that USB Cable directly to your camera.

I hope that answers your query.

Thank you for choosing Sony

I replied with

>I am looking for a charger that is powered by a USB input. I do not require a USB output from the charger. I require the charger to receive its source of electricity from USB. I have already stated I do not want to use the camera to charge the battery. The camera does have a USB input, this is correct, but I would like an external charger that does what the camera can do, except it would be external. 

This is an example of what I am looking for.

Do you make or are you going to make a charger like this?

This is another example. I hope this clarifies things for you.

Since then I have found some aftermarket chargers but I would prefer a sony made one 

Although you did say the charger itself was to be USB powered and they didn't pick up on that, you didn't directly state you wanted to charge the battery via USB while it is *outside* of the camera. Without that detail, any micro USB cable connected to any >400mA (est) power source meets your requirements, including what they first linked to.

Even if they did work out your true meaning, Sony apparently don't make what you're looking for and the advisors are probably only allowed to suggest Sony products, hence impossible to give the answer you want.

Sorry to hear about your frustration! Fortunately there are plenty of cheap third party options available.

Hi, 

I have one of this (actually the older version) since I bought a Nex 7. It is not blazingly fast, like any USB charger for that matter, but it does work and it comes with an additional battery that while not as long lasting as the Sony original ones is still pretty good anyway:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351162459743?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D351162459743%26_rdc%3D1

Cheers, 

"Although you did say the charger itself was to be USB powered and they didn't pick up on that, you didn't directly state you wanted to charge the battery via USB while it is *outside* of the camera"

I did, in the original webnote. The first msg hasn't been included though because I had to send a webnote not email.

>Thank you for your reply.

I understand that you would like to know if you can charge the battery inside the ILCE7 camera with an external charger or power source and USB Cable.

Regarding your inquiry, the supplied AC Adaptor is dedicated to this product. Please do not connect or charge with other power source. Doing so may cause a malfunction. For your reference, you may check on the link below for additional information about your query.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/41946/

We also appreciate that you have provided us external links to clear thinngs out. However, I was not able to view them as we cannot access third-party links for company restrictions and policies.

Should you need assistance about product information, troubleshooting or technical concerns, please feel free to send us an e-mail.

Thank you for choosing Sony.

Best regards,

Jorge
C5WZ
The Sony Alpha Email Response Team

My reply

>Thank you for the reply. You keep repeating the same rhetoric. I am not asking about that product, I am asking if you sell an external charger that functions in the same way as the in camera charging. Namely, powered by USB. All you have to say is “no. we do not sell a product like that”, if you don’t sell one. 

I have published these emails and shown thousands of people how utterly USELESS your support is. 

Kind regards