Dust/damage behind front lens

Hello all,

I just bought myself the "new" Sony 24-70mm f2.8 G-Master for FE-Mount. Unfortunately, there seems to be a dust or damage spot behind the front element. Now I was wondering if I should send it back to the supplier which sits overseas in Hong Kong and get a replacement. The supplier said, if it happens to be a manufacturer fault it should get replaced. 

Now the question for me is, is it worth the money to send the lens back (50-70usd shipping cost) and hope for a replacement?

Or should I keep it and maybe get a professional lens cleaning done (if possible for that lens?)?

I attached two images which show the spot.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi,

If you want to assess the image quality impact you could just put it on a tablet with a white background in aperture priority and stop down until you see an impact on iq. Just make sure you test different focussing distances and focal lengths. May be it is not visible at all or may be only stopped down to something beyound F16. That at least gives you confidence about the extend of the issue.

You could also try to see if pumping between 24 and 70mm moves enough air inside the lens that it might move the spec.

Good luck!