Where are the a99ii's?

GARoss

It seems every site I check doesn't have inventory of the a99ii. I know there was an event late year in Japan that has slowed the production of sensors but that was quite a while back. There has been a few reviews on YouTube of the a99ii but nothing like the unreleased GH5. Just wondering if Sony has killed the a99ii for some reason.

Any news on this?

In Russia Sony sells A99IIs and there are some owners. I must add - very happy owners. According to them A99II is simply a GREAT camera.

For me personally, it's too expensive... 

Agree that it is expensive but this will probably be my last camera & I want a good one. There's lots not to like other than price like the lack of lens support. I think many buyers stand off because of that. According to BH & Photo / Video here in the USA more product will arrive about 17 February.

LOL - Thanks. Good to know. That's a bit too far from my home to shop but looks like a good store. But, costs 33% more than in USA. Wonder why?

It's incl. 25% VAT (tax) which you do not pay from outsite EU

Guest Jaf-Photo

Currently, demand for A99II outstrips supply. Sony will need a few months to catch up. It's not unusual when new high-end photographic gear is released.

As regards lens support, Sony has a full set of quality lenses for A Mount. If you include the still very capable Minolta lenses, few cameras would have as many lenses to choose from.

Currently, demand for A99II outstrips supply. Sony will need a few months to catch up. It's not unusual when new high-end photographic gear is released.

As regards lens support, Sony has a full set of quality lenses for A Mount. If you include the still very capable Minolta lenses, few cameras would have as many lenses to choose from.

Thanks. B&H said more arriving Feb 17th.

Just meant that it doesn't seem like 3rd party lenses like Tamron & Sigma have supported Sony mounts very well. Better with A-mount that E-mount. Lens to lens, Sony's seem far more expensive for similar lens types compared to Canon, Nikon... anybody really. Perhaps Sony's quality is much higher.

But, I'm coming from Canon & not real familiar with Sony lenses. I now read that the A-line of lenses was originally Minolta mount. Are Minolta's used only?

Just meant that it doesn't seem like 3rd party lenses like Tamron & Sigma have supported Sony mounts very well. Better with A-mount that E-mount. Lens to lens, Sony's seem far more expensive for similar lens types compared to Canon, Nikon... anybody really. Perhaps Sony's quality is much higher.

But, I'm coming from Canon & not real familiar with Sony lenses. I now read that the A-line of lenses was originally Minolta mount. Are Minolta's used only?

There are Sigma lenses for A-mount, however Sigma have stopped releasing new lenses for anything but Canon and Nikon.

Tamron however, have about the same lenses in A-mount as they do for Canikon.

Sony quality is not higher at all on A-mount, it's about the same as Canikon. The GM lenses on E mount is superior but on E mount, not A mount. Sony's prices are simply based on supply and demand.

A-mount or Minolta mount is not compatible with E mount, however, A-mount lenses can of course be adapted to E mount.

I love my A99II, the best Camera ever overall.

Minolta exited DSLR when Sony acquired that business. You can use legacy A mount lenses on new Sony A mount cameras. Just be mindful that the lenses were not designed for digital sensors. That said, I am perfectly happy using them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As for lenses, I will need 3. I currently use the Sigma 18-35mm-f/1.8 with my Canon 70d ( FF = 29-56mm ) for product advertising & all shots are indoors with just natural daylight for lighting. This is a great lens but is designed for APS-C only. Sony makes a 24-70mm f/2.8 but it's $2000. Also there's Sony 16-35mm f/4 @ $1250, Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 @ $1300 & Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 @ $800. The Sigma is an eye catcher but I assume an older design. Reviews on the Tamron 24-70mm are very good. The Sony seems too pricey. I am considering 2 wide primes, 20-25mm & a 50mm instead of one wide zoom. Sony offers several that seem to be good quality & not pricey.

The other 2 would be 150-600mm Tamron + an all-a-round everyday lens, something with a decent wide angle & tele zoom like the Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 @ $850. I have the Tamron APS-C equivalent for Canon now & like it a lot. I thought there might be some good deals on used Minolta lenses that might fill these but haven't seen any yet.

Any recommendations or comments? Thanks!

Guest Jaf-Photo

sigma and Tamron do have a lot of lenses in A Mount. Only Sigma reduced their A Mount versions at recent releases. That might change if demand picks up.

Sony lenses are worth the extra money. They work a lot better with Sony cameras than third party lenses. A lot of them have exceptional optical qualities too. If you can wait for the right lens to come along, you can make big savings on used lenses. I have paid 1/3 of retail price for some of their best lenses.

Minolta lenses work beautifully, although they use the screw drive AF. For everyday photography that's just fine. The A99II has boosted its screw drive so you'll get fast AF in any case.

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered my a99M2 from B&H March 3rd. Found good deals on a Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Vi VC PXD (new) on eBay & a Minolta 50mm f/1.4 from KEH. B&H says they expect to make delivery around 10-17 when new arrive.

But there is just one thing annoying the superb hybrid af system seemingly doesn't work with third-party lenses and just pushes to use the pdaf and 399point focal plane doesn't work I think they should fix the issue in their firmware update if not the camera lose one of its greatest advantages