New owner of A7rii - what to test first and setup criteria ?

Thank you all, I'm finally adding Sony A7r ii to my Canon eco-system. This will be my first Sony full frame and I want to know as a new user to the system what should I be looking out for in terms of testing our camera to make sure of any quirks or defects. I primarily shoot with Canon 6D + 7D mkii so this is new addition to my wedding photography work.

I've ordered Sigma MC-11 adapter to use with my Canon EF lenses and Sigma ART lenses.

Only native lens I'm intending on buying first is FE 85GM for my wedding work as I don't have that in my Canon line-up. Rest of lenses I'm planning on using with Adapter

My current lens line-up is

EF 70-200 L F2.8IS

EF 24-70 F2.8 ii

EF 100L F2.8

EF 16-35F4L

Sigma 24-35 ART

Sigma 50F1.4 ART

Sigma 35F1.4 ART

Next thing I need suggestion is on speedlites for Sony A7R ii. My current speedlites are all EX600 RT from Canon.

Thanks in advance.

Nice! I switched about a month ago...I basically planned a similar route (Keeping mostly Canon glass) You'll quickly learn that even the best Canon lenses on the a7rii don't take full advantage of the Sony bodies. 

When you use native lenses you get all the AF features, plus, IMO, the Sony glass is better anyways. So, I sold all 10 of my Canon lenses and now have all Sony glass and couldn't be happier.

that 85 GM is AMAZING btw...All the Zeiss, G and GM offerings are like L lenses, so nice not to have to micro adjust them too.

As far as what you should be looking for as far as quirks, I can think of only 1, and that is to keep a blower handy...for when you change lenses, the sensors are exposed and they are dust magnets. (this can not understated), it's my least favorite thing about Sony mirror-less, so be careful ... Spend time on your setup and your menus. The a7rii is an amazing camera...just have fun!

I became disappointed with trying to adapt my Canon L glass because of quirks with the adapters and slow auto focus and have gradually completed a switch to native Sony/Zeiss glass (with the exception of a Sigma 19mm little prime I got for $125 and it is great).

I would strongly recommend you view some of the tutorials on youtube such as Gary Fong's to help understand the camera.

Lenses I have found to be superb include Sony Zeiss 50mm 1.4, 70-200 F4, 35mm 2.8, 90mm macro.  The only L glass I have kept is the 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 (which I will eventually replace with the Sony Zeiss version.

Thank you all for warm welcome and happy to be part of this growing community. I'm hoping to eventually transition to Sony as long as they meet the needs of professional photographers and don't let us behind like Canon does from time to time.

thatkatmat Thank you for your tip on lens changing, I will keep that in mind. I've bunch of Sony E-mount glass too (APS-C) from my A6000. Mainly one I like is Zeiss 32F1.8 and Sony50F1.8 lens on E-mount. Will those lenses work on A7R ii or will they harm sensor ? I'm still planning on keeping my A6000 more for travel purpose, I love size of it and all things it can do.

Yeah, they'll work but in crop mode...Those are both great sharp little lenses....I started off with those E lenses for my a6300 too, but switched them out for the 28/2 and 55/1.8 so that i could use them on both bodies with full capabilities. Also, they're weather resistant. But they don't have OSS, so, there's some give and take depending on what's important to you. 

Yeah, they'll work but in crop mode...Those are both great sharp little lenses....I started off with those E lenses for my a6300 too, but switched them out for the 28/2 and 55/1.8 so that i could use them on both bodies with full capabilities. Also, they're weather resistant. But they don't have OSS, so, there's some give and take depending on what's important to you. 

Is 28/2 better choice compared to 35/2.8 in terms of sharpness ? I've 55/1.8 in my wishlist but I've already got Sigma 50 ART and love that thing so not in rush to buy 55/1.8

I never shot the 35/2.8...but I know the 28/2 is one of the sharpest lenses in the lineup and nearly as sharp as my 25 batis...! (off by 1 point in sharpness)

check it out on DXO 

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-FE-28mm-F2-on-Sony-A7R-II-versus-Sony-FE-Carl-Zeiss-Sonnar-T-STAR-35mm-F28-on-Sony-A7R-II-versus-Zeiss-Carl-Zeiss-Batis-25mm-F2-Sony-FE__1516_1035_1251_1035_1535_0

Thank you all, I'm finally adding Sony A7r ii to my Canon eco-system. This will be my first Sony full frame and I want to know as a new user to the system what should I be looking out for in terms of testing our camera to make sure of any quirks or defects. I primarily shoot with Canon 6D + 7D mkii so this is new addition to my wedding photography work.

I've ordered Sigma MC-11 adapter to use with my Canon EF lenses and Sigma ART lenses.

Only native lens I'm intending on buying first is FE 85GM for my wedding work as I don't have that in my Canon line-up. Rest of lenses I'm planning on using with Adapter

My current lens line-up is

EF 70-200 L F2.8IS

EF 24-70 F2.8 ii

EF 100L F2.8

EF 16-35F4L

Sigma 24-35 ART

Sigma 50F1.4 ART

Sigma 35F1.4 ART

Next thing I need suggestion is on speedlites for Sony A7R ii. My current speedlites are all EX600 RT from Canon.

Thanks in advance.

The A7RII is a welcomed addition to Canon setups. I shoot weddings regularly with a Canon 5d3 and Sony A7II but recently upgraded to a A7RII as there was some things I didn't like in the A7II that the A7RII fixed. I currently use both the Batis 85 & 25 and they are both nicely balanced on the body, but I do also use the Sigma 35 Art, 50 Art with the Sigma Mc-11, albeit they're not as fast AF wise as native glass.

For flashes, I didn't like the Sony offerings much so I went with the Cheetahstand V860x (Godox V860ii or Flashpoint R2).

One thing I suggest is to watch out for though is the buffer on the A7RII because it fills up quickly.

The A7RII is a welcomed addition to Canon setups. I shoot weddings regularly with a Canon 5d3 and Sony A7II but recently upgraded to a A7RII as there was some things I didn't like in the A7II that the A7RII fixed. I currently use both the Batis 85 & 25 and they are both nicely balanced on the body, but I do also use the Sigma 35 Art, 50 Art with the Sigma Mc-11, albeit they're not as fast AF wise as native glass.

For flashes, I didn't like the Sony offerings much so I went with the Cheetahstand V860x (Godox V860ii or Flashpoint R2).

One thing I suggest is to watch out for though is the buffer on the A7RII because it fills up quickly.

Thank you for update, what exactly you mean by buffer fills up quickly ? Is it for if you are shooting 5fps or it is also in case if you take one or two pics in rapid sequence ?

Also I've Sigma ART glasses and ordered MC-11, how much difference is in performance using native glass vs adapter - especially in terms of AF speed. Is it acceptable for wedding work or I should be looking for at the native glass solution only ? I'm thinking of getting 85F1.4 GM assuming I will still be able to use Sigma 50ART with MC-11. Or should I get FE 55F1.8 ?

Thank you for update, what exactly you mean by buffer fills up quickly ? Is it for if you are shooting 5fps or it is also in case if you take one or two pics in rapid sequence ?

Also I've Sigma ART glasses and ordered MC-11, how much difference is in performance using native glass vs adapter - especially in terms of AF speed. Is it acceptable for wedding work or I should be looking for at the native glass solution only ? I'm thinking of getting 85F1.4 GM assuming I will still be able to use Sigma 50ART with MC-11. Or should I get FE 55F1.8 ?

I would say like for example, you take multiple shots consecutively during the kiss shot at the ceremony. I definitely would not chimp or else the camera will freeze up, at least from my experience since it spends so long writing to the card with the USB 2.0 speeds.

As for the 85s, I love my Batis as I prefer it's size and af speed (probably glued on my A7 bodies 75% of the time), but have read the 85GM is awesome at rendering and bokeh; although, slower at focus speeds but faster than the Canon 85/1.2 if that's indication + it has a button on the side of the lens body that you can map to Eye Focus. I would love to try the lens out myself.

For the MC-11, I would say the 35 Art is faster than 50 ART AF speed (it's a big piece of glass to move). I wouldn't depend on them on dark situations as they tend to hunt a lot more. Not sure if they utilize the entire hybrid AF system like native glass. I haven't used the FE Zony 55/1.8 but if it's anything like the Batis 85/25 it'll focus faster than the 35/50 Sigma and if i didn't already have the Sigma 50, I probably would have bought it by now... from what i hear, it's an FE gem with great rendering and Zeiss colors/contrast.

I would say like for example, you take multiple shots consecutively during the kiss shot at the ceremony. I definitely would not chimp or else the camera will freeze up, at least from my experience since it spends so long writing to the card with the USB 2.0 speeds.

As for the 85s, I love my Batis as I prefer it's size and af speed (probably glued on my A7 bodies 75% of the time), but have read the 85GM is awesome at rendering and bokeh; although, slower at focus speeds but faster than the Canon 85/1.2 if that's indication + it has a button on the side of the lens body that you can map to Eye Focus. I would love to try the lens out myself.

For the MC-11, I would say the 35 Art is faster than 50 ART AF speed (it's a big piece of glass to move). I wouldn't depend on them on dark situations as they tend to hunt a lot more. Not sure if they utilize the entire hybrid AF system like native glass. I haven't used the FE Zony 55/1.8 but if it's anything like the Batis 85/25 it'll focus faster than the 35/50 Sigma and if i didn't already have the Sigma 50, I probably would have bought it by now... from what i hear, it's an FE gem with great rendering and Zeiss colors/contrast.

Thank you for clarification, I'm wondering if I should get rid of Sigma 50ART and instead get FE551.8 - too many choices :)

Thank you for clarification, I'm wondering if I should get rid of Sigma 50ART and instead get FE551.8 - too many choices :)

I've thought of that too, but I won't as long as I still have my Canon body. Still more reliable in low light situations. Hopefully the A7III versions will have comparably better AF.

I've thought of that too, but I won't as long as I still have my Canon body. Still more reliable in low light situations. Hopefully the A7III versions will have comparably better AF.

Thanks so during wedding shoot because you've both 5DMK iii as well as A7Rii, on average what is your usage of Canon v/s Sony ? Do you use it during Reception & Ceremony in dark churches ? or you rely mainly on Canon for that part ? Would be interesting to see some of samples if you don't mind.

I never shot the 35/2.8...but I know the 28/2 is one of the sharpest lenses in the lineup and nearly as sharp as my 25 batis...! (off by 1 point in sharpness)

check it out on DXO 

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-FE-28mm-F2-on-Sony-A7R-II-versus-Sony-FE-Carl-Zeiss-Sonnar-T-STAR-35mm-F28-on-Sony-A7R-II-versus-Zeiss-Carl-Zeiss-Batis-25mm-F2-Sony-FE__1516_1035_1251_1035_1535_0

Thank you for your input. I was looking at 35F2.8 but I've to rethink about it and probably go for this one instead.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your input. I was looking at 35F2.8 but I've to rethink about it and probably go for this one instead.

This is three weeks late, but if you haven't yet purchased a wide angle, I have both the 35mm 2.8 and the 28mm 2.0.  I really far prefer the imaging and rendering of the 35mm Zeiss and only use the 28mm when I need the extra f stop.  For landscape and just general use on the camera, the 35mm is my first choice...it is much sharper, in my experience, than the 28mm and virtually no distortion which is present in the 28mm.  Plus it is tiny!!!

This is three weeks late, but if you haven't yet purchased a wide angle, I have both the 35mm 2.8 and the 28mm 2.0.  I really far prefer the imaging and rendering of the 35mm Zeiss and only use the 28mm when I need the extra f stop.  For landscape and just general use on the camera, the 35mm is my first choice...it is much sharper, in my experience, than the 28mm and virtually no distortion which is present in the 28mm.  Plus it is tiny!!!

Thank you for your input, actually I got FE28F2 last week only. So far have not played much with it. But yeah last 3 weeks with camera and so far I like everything about it, still learning lot of things, but I think I'm happy so far as it to be an addition to my Canon Eco-System. Most of my Canon gear works with it just fine, except EF100F2.8L. I think for time being I will use Sigma 24-35 ART that I've got to cover 35mm range, if needed later I think I will add 35F2.8.

Thank you all for helping me out with my A7Rii.

I ended up getting following lenses and flash along with A7Rii

FE 55F1.8

FE 90F2.8

FE 28 F2

Godox V860iis x 2 + Trigger.

I think I'm good in terms of my gear aquisition syndrome for short term now :)

Looking forward to learning and shooting more with it.