Sony A6000: Weird spots/artifcacts?

Hello All,

I'm not quite sure what's going on with my new camera.   (Actually 2nd new A6000 since I sent back the first because it had the same issues but worse and in the upper left quadrant of each pic)

I get spots in the same exact areas of pictures when the background is a single color, especially the sky.  (You can't see the spots in color shots).

I thought it could be light spots or something but I exchanged the camera and tried even more pics and still get the issue with various shots into the sun or away from the sun.

Do I try to exchange the camera again?   Is this user error or an issue with the body?

I've circled the spots in red in 2 sample pictures  (not the best but show the spots the best).

Thank you for your time!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Dirt on your sensor no doubt.  I recommend not directly cleaning the sensor.  Try just blowing the sensor clean with  a rubber bulb (or just blow carefully with your mouth.  You can probably see the spots on the sensor, they will be in the left upper corner as you look at the sensor.

First of all ... NEVER blow on the sensor with 

your mouth. Thaz toadally fuggt up filthy, just 

makes problems worse.  

Really does look exactly like sensor dust. But 

you say you have exactly the same spots on 

two different sensors ... thaz truly impossible.

One theoretical way to get the exact same set  

of spots from two different image sensors is if

an LA-EA2 [or4] is in use all the time, and has 

crud on the mirror. If the spots you posted are

from crud on the mirror, you'd hafta stop down

pretty far, and use rather wide angle lenses.  

For what little info you posted, thaz as far as 

I can stretch speculating about it. 

And do not blow on your sensor with your

mouth, even if someone tells you they've had 

no problems from that. 

Are you sure you got a new camera, and not just the previous one cleaned and repackaged? In any case, if its not the sensor then it must be the lens ...

Probably sensor dust. They are very noticeable on high contrast single color backgrounds. Fortunately easy to clean.

Dirt on your sensor no doubt.  I recommend not directly cleaning the sensor.  Try just blowing the sensor clean with  a rubber bulb (or just blow carefully with your mouth.  You can probably see the spots on the sensor, they will be in the left upper corner as you look at the sensor.

Great!  This should be an easy solution then.  I did do the "Sensor Cleaning" through the camera system but didn't seem to do anything. 

What about a small camera lens brush?

First of all ... NEVER blow on the sensor with 

your mouth. Thaz toadally fuggt up filthy, just 

makes problems worse.  

Really does look exactly like sensor dust. But 

you say you have exactly the same spots on 

two different sensors ... thaz truly impossible.

One theoretical way to get the exact same set  

of spots from two different image sensors is if

an LA-EA2 [or4] is in use all the time, and has 

crud on the mirror. If the spots you posted are

from crud on the mirror, you'd hafta stop down

pretty far, and use rather wide angle lenses.  

For what little info you posted, thaz as far as 

I can stretch speculating about it. 

And do not blow on your sensor with your

mouth, even if someone tells you they've had 

no problems from that. 

Thanks for the tips.  I mentioned that the spots were in different areas.  The first camera had spots in the upper left quarter of each picture.

Are you sure you got a new camera, and not just the previous one cleaned and repackaged? In any case, if its not the sensor then it must be the lens ...

Definitely a different camera since I still have both and have not sent the first back yet.

Are you blowing your sensor with the camera/sensor facing down? If not, your blower may be just blowing the dust around inside the camera. Using the right technique AND a good blower, not the cheap dollar store kind, should work 99.9999% of the time.

Using a lens brush to clean a camera sensor is NOT recommended.

You can buy sensor cleaning brushes that employ a static charge to attract (suck) dust off the sensor but, they're expensive; see "Arctic Butterfly". Some swear by them but in my personal experience just spread the dust around.

If you have really stubborn dust spots you may need to resort to liquid cleaning. You can pay to have it done professionally (expensive) or you can pick up a DIY kit. I've had to clean my sensor twice. The first time because, yes, I made the mistake of believing blowing the sensor with my mouth wouldn't be a problem. Ended up with a nice saliva smear. The second time because of stubborn dust that my blower could not remove. If you go the liquid route be sure to purchase a kit with swabs for APS-C sensors and follow the product instructions carefully. You should also check out some Youtube videos on wet cleaning sensors. FYI, I used the Smear Away and VDust Plus kits from VisableDust http://www.visibledust.com

KMG

I agree with the sensor dust. You probably also had a small aperture setting (Large #) on these shots, which makes sensor dirt much more visible. I have attached a link on the best way I have found to clean sensors. There are a couple of different manufactures of the particle transfer rubber pads the video uses. If you want I can find link for each of them. Good luck.

Good video Colorado, thanks for posting it.

I've always been curious about the gel pad solution. I was recently looking at this sensor gel stick for Sony cameras https://photographylife.com/product/sensor-gel-stick-for-sony. Any experience with it?

Interesting warning in the Product Description!

Yes that is the other unit I have along with the one in the video I posted. Both work well. The stamp in the video is what I would call a low tack stamp and is good for normal cleaning of the sensor only. The one you mention (from Germany) is high tack (for more stubborn dirt) but can also be used to clean other internal parts of the camera, due to its thickness. The sides of the rubber cube work well for this. Using this procedure I have never needed to clean a sensor more then twice. And to check your sensor for dirt just point your camera at a white surface with the aperture at the lens smallest and the other settings where they need to be for a one to two second exposure. Then take the shot while moving the camera in a small circle (Turn off stabilization) and every little spec and smudge will be visible.    

• 2 weeks later...

Dust. Definitely dust. If using a brush or swab or gel stick, put cam in self clean mode but DON'T turn off like camera instructs after cleaning. The sensor gets locked in place and CLEAN WHILE LOCKED. Power off & you'll find the sensor wiggling around as you monkey with it which is no bueño for man or beast or camera.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a same problem. The spot is even visible on the EVF and LCD screen, but it's only appeared at small aperture. When it set to a larger aperture (f/13 or faster) it's gone, although it's still visible a bit. I've inspect the sensor visually and it's appeared to be clean, no dust at all. I've also tried to blew it with rubber bulb blower, but when I turn the camera back on again the spot is still there.

I suspect there's a microscopic dust on the sensor, or even maybe in the lens. Does anyone had a same problem, and had an explanation about it?

(I've edited this image with LR for increase contrast, highlights, and shadows, for you to be easier to see the spot)

(Exposure: 20 sec, f/22, ISO 100)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!