Sony 85mm 1.4 Focus Noise

A year ago, with the release of the GM 85mm 1.4 lens there was a great deal of concern about the very loud focus noise.  I noticed that a couple of individuals posted in April 2016 that their  version of the lens was guiet.  I couldn't find any recent comments concerning this issue.  Does anyone know if Sony fixed the problem in subsequent production samples?

• 1 month later...

There is a bigger problem - vibration.

I have two brand new copies of the 85mm F1.4 GM here for testing and they both have the same problem :(

Using AF-C and BBF, the lens vibrates constantly, even after focus lock is achieved.

It feels as if it is constantly hunting for focus, even though the focus lock light is illuminated.

The noise is a PITA but one could live with it, but AF that is constantly hunting like this is no good.

As an experiment I shot in Manual Mode and dropped the shutter speed to the point the the image was starting to blur at the point of focus.

I repeated the test but this time took my thumb off the BB in order to stop the vibration and the hunting.

Guess which method gave the sharpest results?

• 2 weeks later...

Mine did the same thing, I felt like it was "micro-hunting?" all the time...So I never could tell if I was really getting focus lock, as you said, the light would show as locked but the lens still hunted.

Thing is,.... the shots where all in perfect focus when I downloaded them, it always surprised me...I couldn't stand it....between the hunting and the weight, I decided return it and picked up a Batis 85 which I love.