Lens flare or lack of it

adwb

SonyA7r2 - kit lens 28-70 3.8/5.6 

Yesterday I was shooting almost head on into the sun, at a time when the sun was not much more than half way above the horizon to its zenith point. !0am uk time.

With the above lens and supplied lens hood fitted I had to use a reflector held in front and above the camera to put shade on the lens in order to stop flare and contrast issues. 

All quite acceptable, but,

someone else was with me with a Canon bridge camera of some model, with no lens hood and did not suffer from the flare at all. 

In fact putting his lens in the shade made little contrast difference either.

How on earth does that canon bridge not flare?

Hi. That's not that easy to answer. The lens flare resistance is a quality ability of the lens. In most serious lens tests you will find a test about flare resistance. So it depends a lot too which lens was on the Canon. So this is not a general point of Canon or Sony. It is a specific point of a lens. Canon has lenses which attract much more flares and some which are really good flare resistant. Same count for Sony. It is something which should be, if important for you, thought before buying a specific lens. My batis 25 is labeled as "very good flare resistant", but still from time to time I hit the wrong angle at the wrong time and I produce a little flare. But the contrast and the color. Doesn't get affected that much. That was something which was important for me.

I am. Not that deep into the technical specifications, maybe somebody else can shine more. Light on it for you. But I bet there are many informative articles about it in the www too.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Bridge cameras have tiny sensors. The lens on that camera, 

if the whole camera were scaled up to APSC or FF would be 

ginormous ... which allows a lotta freedom for the designers 

to make elements oversized so their edges aren't picking up

stray beams, and to include baffles, etc etc. If all that were

added to an equivalent APSC or FF lens, it would grow so

huge that no one would ever buy it.