Zeiss launches two new FE lenses today! 85mm f/1.8 and 25mm f/2.0 Both Autofocus!

SAR_admin

fo-tik:  The OLED screen's power consumption will be a negligable 1-5mW, eating less than 0.1% of the camera battery. Hope it's still readable in bright sunlight.
Innovations, even tiny things like this, are what the camera industry needs (alongside an Apple-like user experience focus).

Sony will be regretting the FE 90mm being delayed until after the Zeiss 85mm was announced - they can now halve their sales predictions.
Assuming these Batis deliver at least commensurate-with-price quality, well done Zeiss for giving us exactly what we wanted!

Good to know about the power costs of the OLED being so low. Thanks for the response.

I read somewhere that Sigma's CEO would not commit to native E mount lenses until Sony showed a greater commitment to releasing more lenses for their own line. With recent news of more Zeiss releases for this mount, I wonder what the business case/tipping point is for companies such as Sigma to join in. I like innovation but I also like price-to-value competition within a segment. As for the new Batis lenses, I can't wait to see some landscapes or cityscapes using the 25mm and portraits from the 85mm to see if the quality can carry the price point.

After reading about the newly updated A mount 24-70 f2.8, do you, or anyone else, have a recommendation for or against using A mount lenses with adapters on the A7 series? That new lens would answer one of my lens equity wishes, assuming there's no penalty for using an adapter. I don't penny-pinch when it comes to the glass I buy but the combination of the A mount lens cost plus the adapter cost starts getting up there. I would hate to buy the 24-70 and adapter combination only to find out later that Zeiss, or Sigma for that matter, releases an E mount native 24-70 f2.8. That would irk somewhat. But then... it's sort of like buying a computer... you either jump in and buy one or you sit around and wait for the "next big thing" to come out, only to find out time has ticked by that you could have been using one. Now if only Sony would just announce the A7RII... 

Bad news for me too that was my next procurement the 90,

maybe not now though, how well would the 85 perform for macro shots though anyone have any thoughts about that?

Im no expert. It wouldnt have the same minimum close focus distance would it?

To fotik,

I cant speak from experience however i believe native fe mount will always focus faster than adapted a mount according to what i have read about it.

p.s. second hand the lae4 adapters go for substantially cheaper [in aus anyway]

If i were you i would wait, but, thats just my personal opinion.

I thought the same at first; the macro would be more versatile.

Still, I like fast glass. And a real Zeiss would be great if it performs Otus-like. Plus, the Batis would be smaller and lighter.

I'm just gonna wait for both to get reviews and real life samples. The macro will probably be the sharper one while bokeh and overall rendering might be interesting to compare.

Bad news for me too that was my next procurement the 90,

maybe not now though, how well would the 85 perform for macro shots though anyone have any thoughts about that?

Im no expert. It wouldnt have the same minimum close focus distance would it?

Actually, the 85 has only a max. magnification ratio of 1:7.9.

Batis is the genus name of a bird.  Likewise Loxia and Otus.

Otus and Loxia I can figure out, Otus is an owl genus, sees in the dark, Loxia is a finch, small and lightweight.  Batis?  Headscratcher.

Hey Zeiss I'm ready for some long lenses.  I don't care what you call it, I want a 400mm f/4.

Here are the images of an Zeiss telephoto lens 5,6/360mm on an A7, and an Zeiss 5,6/540mm on an A6000!   ;)  Working excellent on both cameras!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest PenGun

I thought the same at first; the macro would be more versatile.

Still, I like fast glass. And a real Zeiss would be great if it performs Otus-like. Plus, the Batis would be smaller and lighter.

I'm just gonna wait for both to get reviews and real life samples. The macro will probably be the sharper one while bokeh and overall rendering might be interesting to compare.

You just need an extender:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/971890-REG/vello_ext_see_auto_focus_extension_tube.html

Its handy to have some reach, i wonder what they cost, are they cy mount it looks like?

Yes, they are C/Y mount! I have these and other C/Y glass for many years, since the analogue CONTAX RTS III and CONTAX AX season!

Actually, the 85 has only a max. magnification ratio of 1:7.9.

Suspected as much, guess its obvious, although the 90 is 2.8 not 1.8 it may be more versatile as 2.8 is still pretty fine and well useable, i guess it all depends on use case scenario, be hard to justify purchasing both with only 5mm difference in focal length etc.

I pretty much made up my mind. Free that Batis already! :-)

I like that focal length (85) also for walking around the street, or longer landscapes and of course portraits outside - and feel that the Macro would be just too cumbersome to walk around with, especially while travelling.

So... Maybe later, Sony. Right now I'm more looking forward to what Zeiss has and will have to offer.

About that PMOLED display...

"...So while PMOLEDs are easy (and cheap) to fabricate, they are not efficient and the OLED materials suffer from lower lifetime (due to the high voltage needed). PMOLED displays are also restricted in resolution and size (the more lines you have, the more voltage you have to use)." 

http://www.oled-info.com/pmoled-vs-amoled-whats-difference

From the info above it seems to me that PMOLED DON'T mean increased brightness and clarity and therefore don't mean that you don't have to worry about sunlight legibility.

Most likely it's the opposite, since OLED screens isn't always brighter than the incoming sunlight.
A better choice would be sony's transflective LCD-panels that actually has increased readability when illuminated by sun...