Zeiss launches two new FE lenses today! 85mm f/1.8 and 25mm f/2.0 Both Autofocus!

SAR_admin

Zeiss_Batis-700x269.png

Full info via SonyAlphaRumors:

The new ZEISS Batis 2/25 and 1.8/85 lenses are the first full-frame autofocus lenses with an OLED display for the mirrorless Sony α series and therefore the pioneers of a new era. As professional tools, they enable outstanding outcomes with optimal image performance, impressive contrast and maximum resolution down to the very last detail.

The innovative OLED display shows the distance of the focal plane from the camera system and the depth of fields, therefore ideally supporting creative image composition. For the demanding photographer, the OLED display is an absolute highlight – an innovation that is currently unparalleled in camera lenses.  ZEISS Batis lenses are available in a wide-angle and portrait focal length and are the perfect match for the existing lenses offered for the system. The ZEISS Batis 2/25 and Batis 1.8/85 lenses will be available for purchase from July 2015 – place your order now!

Or: how to complicate things. Why they have to use OLEDs when a classical decal on the barrel works much better, and it is not a thing that can brake? (I know, it is probably to cut costs)

Other than that, if they will not be some kind of monster-sized lens (and if they will be priced sensibly, not at Leica prices) I might be very interested in both; they could really make a nice two-lens setup.

UPDATE

I've now seen that both prices and sizes are already known. From what I'm seeing you can probably (I'll wait for the first reviews to check the rendering) count me in!

UPDATE 2

Dear Zeiss, if you're reading this, could you please stop putting cheesy names on your lens lines?  :P

Yes, Batis is a shocker of a name, i'm presuming it has a meaning relative to light or colour in some language? Loxia sounds alright, although slightly like some kind of exotic tropical disease, Batis sounds like the name of a greek sailor.

Still, shocking names aside, who cares so long as the performance is superlative, as for the bell shape, concerned not the slightest, usually means the camera with lens attached sits flush to a flat surface.

Regarding the oled display, sounds useful, hopefully and presumably can be turned off in settings somehow.

I would imagine firmware updates for these two will follow shortly?

But what about Loxia?

I was surprised to see the Batis announcement of FE lenses with AF similar in concept to the Touits for APS-C. Does that mean that Loxia concept is dead? I had hoped for the 25 or 21mm Loxia to go with the 35/2 and 50/2 but will that ever happen now with the Batis 25/2?

I agree that an 85/1.8 and 25/2 are needed I just don't want another theme introduced to distract from a consistent set of lenses. This is fragmenting the market in the sense that the feel and approach to these lenses are all different. I'm a big fan on consistency when it comes to lens families. The ZM family with 15, 18, 21, 25, 35, 50, and 85 is what I want to see for Sony with the Loxia, or even if it had been Batis I could understand but what is Zeiss up to?

Dear Zeiss, if you're reading this, could you please stop putting cheesy names on your lens lines?  :P

Batis is the genus name of a bird.  Likewise Loxia and Otus.

Otus and Loxia I can figure out, Otus is an owl genus, sees in the dark, Loxia is a finch, small and lightweight.  Batis?  Headscratcher.

Hey Zeiss I'm ready for some long lenses.  I don't care what you call it, I want a 400mm f/4.

Otus and Loxia I can figure out, Otus is an owl genus, sees in the dark, Loxia is a finch, small and lightweight.  Batis?  Headscratcher.

Hey Zeiss I'm ready for some long lenses.  I don't care what you call it, I want a 400mm f/4.

Thanks for pointing this out! It was interesting to learn that at least there is some kind of "theme" going on; but I'm "allergic" to lenses with a name in general   ;)

That being said, even if I don't like the name and I don't like the shape (I still think they should hire back the guy who designed the Contax lens line, in terms of external design) these two lenses are definitely on my shopping list, bar some horrible fault should come out in the early reviews (but again, these are Zeiss, it will not happen) .

These two and maybe the 35/1,4 (but it costs too much new for now for me to justify the purchase, so I'll buy it used or I'll get the 55 instead) it is practically all the glass I need for the rare occasions that I have necessity of AF.

I wellcome the new lenses, but the new E-mount cameras (mark II) have a sensor stabilization already.

The lens based image stabilization makes it more vulnerable, bigger and more expensive. In addition the display is another potential achilles'heel in my eyes.

I wonder, whether the lenses mechanical long term quality will fit professional demands.

The loxia line of lenses seem, apparant from the missing autofocus, seem to be more durable.

Just a few thoughts base on experience with comparabel equipment.

So ready for the 85mm! I think I may opt for the 28/2 because of price. I don't normally shoot that wide and the sample images from the 28 are stellar from what I would use it for. 

Yea looked the Batis up on Wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batis_(bird) I don't get the correlation either but that is Zeiss for you. I work in product design so naming means nothing to me. If it performs as well as I hope it does, it will be mine! 

Since 2013, new ZEISS lenses in a series have a uniform family name that conveys a common identity. For this reason, we have decided to derive these family names from the Latin names for birds, which we find appropriate because birds generally have excellent eyesight, are flexible and enjoy life. Furthermore, the names sound nice and are generally compatible in many different languages and cultures. The name Batis is derived from a small bird that is found in Africa.

I'm one of those about to sell all things Nikon and Canon that I own, and buy into the A7RII when it's announced. It hasn't been announced yet so I haven't sold yet.

To reach equity with the lenses I have now, I would buy the Batis 85mm, (but my first lens would be the 55 f1.8.). I wonder how much of the camera's power is required for the OLED feature on the Batis 85? From what I've read so far, the A7 series doesn't have a lot of juice to spare, so it would be good to have test data showing have fast a battery drain would happen with this lens on a fully charged battery. This is just curiosity talking; extra batteries are (relatively) cheap.

One of my lens equity wishes would be for a faster Zeiss 24-70, at least f2.8 for the type of studio work I like to do. That said, physics, weight, flange distance, etc come into play and I'm not a scientist. Who knows whether or not this is even possible?

If not a fast 24-70, then the one lens I dream about and would buy, even at $2k, would be a fast 24-105. With the quality of a Zeiss, speed and the range I use the most, I would pay for that. Now that is a dream! I like the Canon 24-105L f4 for it's utility... but a Zeiss...

Take my comments as those of someone who does not yet own an A7 (a.k.a. talking out his a$$) yet still has wishes for what the experience of ownership has the potential to be.

^Like any system there is a process of adaption to strengths and limitations.

I try to approach photography tools without brand bias as to me personally its all just a means to an end however so far im loving my new a72 and fe70-200 f4 lens the autofocus is better than i presumed it is perhaps not quite on par with canikon dslr equivalents but quite close and well good enough for my needs.

I know everyone wants 0.95 fstop lenses[figure of speech] but for me quite often even f4 is too shallow for critical focus on my subject matter such as bird or plant/flower so ive decided to not lust after very low aperture lenses as much as i used too if that makes sense. Im finding 5.6-8 is fine with the option for 4 good to have in reserve for favouring framing foreground dominant subject bias in my shooting style.

Since getting the A7R and FE 2.8/35 and 1.8/55, I've been sold on Zeiss.  I own the Touits (good lenses) for the A6000, also, but the FE Zeisses made me a true believer.  It is a difficult decision on which to get first.  I'd like a wide angle, but this year I bought a 1.4/85 for my A99 and I love the results and would like this focal length for the A7R.  I am especially interested because the Batis 85 will have OS.  It is a good time to be a sony shooter.   

fo-tik:  The OLED screen's power consumption will be a negligable 1-5mW, eating less than 0.1% of the camera battery. Hope it's still readable in bright sunlight.

Innovations, even tiny things like this, are what the camera industry needs (alongside an Apple-like user experience focus).

Sony will be regretting the FE 90mm being delayed until after the Zeiss 85mm was announced - they can now halve their sales predictions.

Assuming these Batis deliver at least commensurate-with-price quality, well done Zeiss for giving us exactly what we wanted!

Sony will be regretting the FE 90mm being delayed until after the Zeiss 85mm was announced - they can now halve their sales predictions.

Definitely, it is a much harder decision now. I like the ability to do close macro work, but if the Zeiss is faster and has better resolution, it is a much harder decision.