• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DavidR

DavidR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:58 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

With the great SteadyShot I see more people hanging the camera with a large lens by the camera lugs.  I was shooting whales with my a7 II and the 70 - 300 on a bouncing boat.  I got great sharp shots but I always held the camera by the lens.  (It does not have a tripod mount on the lens)  How strong are  the lugs and have any of you had problems walking around with the camera hanging by the lugs and a strap over the shoulder?

#2 mttdxb

mttdxb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:53 PM

Not sure what the original lugs can hold, but i am using the Black Rapid Sports strap.
Alot more convenient to use, especially with heavier lenses.

http://blackrapid.co...rt-Breathe.html

#3 Dollanganger

Dollanganger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:04 PM

There are rings which can fit a tripod mount to almost any medium size or large lens like a 70-300mm.

#4 DavidR

DavidR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:04 PM

Thank you for your responses.  I will search for a ring for my lens as well as look at the Black Rapid strap.  

#5 DavidR

DavidR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:13 AM

Dollanganger, Where would I find a ring for the sony FE 4.5 - 5.6/70 - 300 G OSS lens?  I have looked many places and could only find a Novaflex one and I have to purchase the camera adapter from the same manufacturer.  

#6 Dollanganger

Dollanganger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:56 PM

Dollanganger, Where would I find a ring for the sony FE 4.5 - 5.6/70 - 300 G OSS lens?  I have looked many places and could only find a Novaflex one and I have to purchase the camera adapter from the same manufacturer.  

Try www.bhphoto.com There probably isn't one specifically for the lens but there should be a ring for the diameter you need. 

#7 tinplater

tinplater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:33 PM

My A7Rii plus the 70-300 only weighs 3lb 8oz (perhaps a bit less as I weighed with strap attached) and I have absolutely know fear of lug failure..never even heard of that happening although obviously there may be a remote possibility.Google search only revealed an apparent problem with Olympus lugs.

Iuse an Op/tech strap which allows easy connect/disconnect (I frequently just plug on a wrist strap).I do have a Carry Speed strap...amazing design but there has been a report of failure of the plate attachment to the camera tripod base so I haven't used that strap with heavy lenses and always check that the ball joint is securely tightened.

#8 tinplater

tinplater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:37 PM

Here is an interesting link with a discussion about using the tripod screw mount and advising against it from Canon.My instincts are to go with a good strap like the Op/tech attached to the strap lugs.

http://bosstrap.com/...sstrap-for-you/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

New Members Welcome!

Not yet registered? Really?

Registration is free and takes only a few minutes.

After the free registration you can discuss with members from all over the world, put questions and present your images.

We are looking forward to you!

Admin Andreas und Sony Alpha Forum Team

Register now! X