Sony A7II 46MP?

E93

If you read my previous post I just picked up A7II two days ago, but I was debating between A7II and AR (A7s just not enough pixels, great for low light). The SONY rep told me get the A7II cause soon it will have software update to 46 or 49MP. Taking one image in segments.

Have anyone heard this update before???? I couldn't find this in the net.

Is that do-able? I though a sensor had a fixed number of pixels and that was it. You mean it could shoot multiple exposures of the same subject utilizing the entire sensor then somehow "stitch" them together to create one image that in effect is 48 megapixels? That would be just too cool if it's possible.

A FF sensor with the same pixel density as Sony's 24mp APS-C sensor (6.63mp per cm2) would have around 56mp. Anything up to around that size FF sensor could just apply current technology.

FWIW, the better old Minolta lenses, think prime, G and Sony reissue, will resolve to around 50mp. It takes around 100mp sensor to resolve an Otus.

The way the A7s gets high ISO is through BIG pixels collecting more light each. That limits the number of pixels you can put on a sensor. You can get decent 16x20 prints off A7s. How much bigger do you need to go?

A FF sensor with the same pixel density as Sony's 24mp APS-C sensor (6.63mp per cm2) would have around 56mp. Anything up to around that size FF sensor could just apply current technology.

FWIW, the better old Minolta lenses, think prime, G and Sony reissue, will resolve to around 50mp. It takes around 100mp sensor to resolve an Otus.

The way the A7s gets high ISO is through BIG pixels collecting more light each. That limits the number of pixels you can put on a sensor. You can get decent 16x20 prints off A7s. How much bigger do you need to go?

I do landscapes photography so the higher MP is very interesting, but I have some questions.

1) Will the larger file be in RAW or JPEG? It wouldn't be useful if the camera combines it into a jepg all the extra data will be lost.

2) How can you tell which lenses will resolve at what resolutions?

Thanks,

Tayne

Hi Tayne,

(1) Don't think Sony could survive a high mp sensor that did not do raw and jpg. With combining pictures we won't know until Sony releases it. Stitching pics to put together a panorama is already in camera, and I believe will work with raw as well as jpg.

(2) Look here: http://www.addicted2light.com/ He's knowledgeable and a good guy. He also posts here, and has discussed resolution. Sorry I don't have better links. Almost all of the Minolta lenses will resolve 24mp, most 36mp and the better ones around 50mp.

Very good optical formulas have been around for a long time. The trick with most newer lenses is better contrast through improved coatings. The lenses are not actually optically sharper, but images look sharper. Contrast is easy to fix in post.

The SONY rep says Sony owns 70% of Olympus and soon A7II can software upgrade to 48MP beating a7R. Unknown when that software will be out

Sony recently sold half it's stake in Olympus. (was around 10%). There have been stories of Sony testing the 46mp mode on A7II. Hope it comes out sometime. Would be nice in certain situations.

• 3 weeks later...