Lens Suggestions for Indoor Hockey - Sony FE 24-240?

Hi Guys,

Will be getting  a Sony a6500 and want to shoot the kids playing soccer and ice hockey.  I don't want to lug a around a Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS Lens, nor spend that kind of money.  It's high school  hockey so I am reasonably close to the ice.

The Sony FE 24-240 f/3.5-6.3 oss was suggested to me.  Any thoughts, will it be sufficient to shoot decent pictures inside a hockey arena?

Also, any one use the Sony FE 24-240 as an all around lens when traveling?  How is it in museum low light situations?

Other lens suggestions?

Thanks!

It depends on how big the soccer game is and how big the museum is.

Your A6500 will magnify everything by 1.5. Hence the 24-240mm will be able to reach out to 360mm. Is that enough zoom for your soccer games?

24mm will be magnified to 36mm inside a museum and may not be wide enough for you.

I’ve used Sony’s A mount 24-240mm and it’s nothing special but it’s not negative either. I’ve used an 18-200mm E mount and I did like it better.

An all around lens good for both high zoom and indoor shots doesn’t really exist. (they do exist but they’re shoddy quality so I wouldn’t recommend them).

You’ll get far more for your money with two different lenses.