• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 porterbasset

porterbasset

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:00 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

That's great timde. I have been using the Unsharp Mask. After seeing your image, I'll be trying out the Progressive Sharpening and Dynamic Constrast.

#22 porterbasset

porterbasset

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:01 PM

That's great timde. I have been using the Unsharp Mask. After seeing your image, I'll be trying out the Progressive Sharpening and Dynamic Contrast.

#23 timde

timde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:47 PM

The Browser module is pretty good. Nice and fast, easy to apply ratings & flags, and then use filters for fast review and deleting.

But really its the speed of browsing which is so much better than C1, for the first time my fast computer is actually fast to use, C1 has been immensely disappointing in that regard.

I already purchased a licence, the control over sharpening was what pushed me over the edge. Not everything is perfect yet, but enough is to make it worth the effort. Now I have migrated my photos from C1 to the file system, sorted just how I want. Again, simple, makes sense (too me) and works.

#24 timde

timde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:04 AM

I've been getting better results with On1 Raw,

DSC02957 copy.jpg

DSC02851 copy.jpg

Generally I use the following settings :

Develop -

• some saturation (2-4)
  • some vibrance (4-12)
  • other adjustments as needed, generally _not_ structure or haze.

Effects -

• Sharpening, preset screen, type progressive, adjusting amount and detail as required
  • Dynamic Contrast, small 8, medium 12, large 16, adjusted as required
  • Tone Enhancer, some adjustments here, curve in particular, but try to avoid detail and clarity (but do use it sometimes)
  • Sunshine, preset sunshine, normally reduce the amount ... but it depends on the picture
  • Vignette, lots of choice here, preset subtle and big softy, often adjusting the blending mode to luminosity (should prevent blue/purple cast in clouds)

That does a nice job of sharpening up a image from an A7ii and strengthens the original colors a little. Most importantly, you don't get any halos in the image, which is a problem with quite a few of the other effects (particularly structure, clarity haze, and so on).

#25 timde

timde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:41 PM

Better results here too :

DSC03016.jpg

So far there are no lens corrections ... so in this image I had to add a negative vignette as one of the first edits, and then latter add a vignette back. The image is still a little flat, but its still a big improvement over my first effort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

New Members Welcome!

Not yet registered? Really?

Registration is free and takes only a few minutes.

After the free registration you can discuss with members from all over the world, put questions and present your images.

We are looking forward to you!

Admin Andreas und Sony Alpha Forum Team

Register now! X