Can you change Sony a6300 via USB?

Do you mean through the port on a computer? If that is your question then the answer is yes but it seems to be slower than with an external charger.

I use my 6300 and 6000 for product photography in the studio thethered to a laptop. When I have downtown I turn the camera off and it is then slowly charged by the laptop thether.

Hope that helps

Yep but it's slow, slow, abysmally SLOW. You can also operate the camera off of USB tether but you MUST also have a battery in camera. Camera will eventually shut off because charge rate is SLOWER than the discharge rate since an operating camera uses more juice out of it than you can pipe into it. Don't expect to use camera long if you have 10% battery left thinking you can connect to USB and continue operating for hours. Operating on 10% battery life may give 15 minutes until shutdown. Charging from USB @ 10% battery may give 20 minutes until shutdown. Incoming juice cannot keep up with outgoing juice used.

Yep but it's slow, slow, abysmally SLOW. You can also operate the camera off of USB tether but you MUST also have a battery in camera. Camera will eventually shut off because charge rate is SLOWER than the discharge rate since an operating camera uses more juice out of it than you can pipe into it. Don't expect to use camera long if you have 10% battery left thinking you can connect to USB and continue operating for hours. Operating on 10% battery life may give 15 minutes until shutdown. Charging from USB @ 10% battery may give 20 minutes until shutdown. Incoming juice cannot keep up with outgoing juice used.

I am not a studio photographer, but shouldnt it be possible to tether the camera through a powered USB Hub with a higher ampere rate?

Usually the charging is so slow via a PC or laptop due to the low ampere (0,5A) on the integrated USB. By running through a Hub you could get this up to 1.5A and therefore faster charging. Not sure thou if the tether still works through the Hub, but wouldnt see a reason why not. Should even be possible to tether multiple cams through one Hub.

@VTC

You must be doing something wrong?

I travel with a couple of high mAh USB charging bricks and charge my cameras (2x A7r II and A6300) this way instead of via the AC chargers.

Last January while traveling in Northern Laos, this USB brick was a godsend, because a lot of the places I visited had no electricity.

The brick was able to charge my A7r II faster than an AC charger.

I'm heading out to the wilds in early January 2017, taking a 2016 MacBook, 2x USB bricks (one with USB-C for the MacBook), a 65W Solar Panel for charging the bricks through the daytime.

I'll spend most of the 3 weeks in places without electricity and I'm confident that this solution will work, so long as the extreme cold doesn't kill the USB charging bricks.

I used RavPower 26800 mAh and the new RavPower 21000 mAh model that has USB-C output.

I also own TetherTools for long exposure work and use it in combination with TriggerTrap with my iPhone and cameras powered by the RavPower bricks.

@EvilTed

Have the 14000 & 16000 Ravpower bricks but instead charge my 10 batteries out of camera for expediency (Watson dual charger). Bricks useful when away from power as you illustrate but the limit is one battery charge in camera at a time. If there's camera down time it's useful but on my shoots the camera's rarely idle. (One can't ever have too many gigs or power on a shoot.)

I'm an A7II shooter. The A7II like the original A7, R and S can be charged via USB but can't be powered by it. For long shoots (time laps) beyond the power capacity of two batteries in a vertical grip requires a few extra components.

I'm a believer in the quality of RavPower. I purchased the 23000 mAh. Aside from the 1.5 and 2.5 USB ports, it has a DC select able voltage port (9V/12V/16V/19V/20V). https://www.ravpower.com/ravpower-23000mah-portable-charger-external-battery-charger.html

The package included adapters to charge or power just about any device you have (tablets, phones, laptops etc.).

For time lapse, not wanting to use a cheap unregulated Chinese dummy battery a 9V to power my 7.2V A7II, I purchased an IndiPRO Tools regulated 2.5mm to Sony a7 Series Dummy Battery Cable. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1124612-REG/indipro_tools_pr2sa7_69sa7_2_5_mm_to.html

Using the IndiPro and the RavPower 23000 I can power my A7II for days while charging a phone or tablet at the same time ;-)

As a bonus, I cut the plug end off of an old wall wart 9V power supply and spliced on a cheap female plug. Using the IndiPro plugged into the wall wart I can run the camera indefinitely off the main. https://www.amazon.com/5-5mm-2-1mm-Female-Connector-Camera/dp/B005CMP434/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1481236017&sr=8-10&keywords=female+2.1+adapter+plug

FWIW,

KMG