• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Garnier1981

Garnier1981

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:15 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

I have just received a Tokina 90mm F2.5, but it has a problem inside.  Is this fungus? -  worth cleaning or should I send it back to the seller?

IMG_3719_zpseif1t291.png

IMG_3735_zps9dxr2sta.jpg

#2 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:41 PM

Hi,

the fungus I encountered so far always had some thin threads. This looks more like encapsuled dust or condensed oil drops. But I could be wrong, it is hard to tell on pictures. Hope that helps,

Ben
  • Garnier1981 likes this

#3 Garnier1981

Garnier1981

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:15 PM

I made a repair/cleaning enquiry to a lens technician (http://www.cam-rep.co.uk) and received a quick response.

His opinion is balsalm separation, apparently it's the glue breaking down which holds a 'doublet' element together.  In other words, beyond economical repair.  

#4 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 07:53 AM

Sorry to hear, but if this was a purchuase from a private person and you are unable to get a refund, I can only recommend trying to repair it yourself. Balsam seperation normally has a silky appearance over a bigger part of the surface of the glass. Judging from the pictures I do not think that this is the case. Non autofocus lenses are often easy to disassemble(except for the aperture assembly). I was able to disassemble some nikon and pentax lenses without any specialized tools. Only a screw driver and some hair spray caps with with rubber/latex gloves to improvise a friction knob are needed.

Cleaning can be done with distilled water, propyl alcohol or a blending of both with q-tips. If coatings look damaged start with distilled water and only gradually increase the amount of alcohol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users