Viewfinder tilted on a6300

ygoe

Hi,

My first Sony camera (a6300) arrived yesterday and I've spent the first battery charge exploring it. I've made a strange observation with it: When looking through the electronic viewfinder, the image looks a bit tilted, as if it was hanging down on the left side. I'd have to guess but it may be some 1°. The difference is noticeable especially when zooming to a "natural" length and looking with both eyes, one through the EVF and the other past the camera. No tilting can be seen on the LCD, that seems correctly aligned.

Is that normal? Has anybody noticed that, too? Or is it defective and I should have it repaired?

Apart from that, the camera and the bundled 16-70/4 lens make a great first impression.

No it is not normal seems to be a defect , send it back for exchange not repair, keep the battery and the lens as you will need more than 1 battery and that lens is a good do everything lens. I would guess that it is tilted more than 1degree or you would not notice it.

Just measured it from a tripod: my TV “hangs down” on the left side by about 2½ cm at 100 cm width, that makes 1.4°. It looks like more though. It's strange to try and keep the camera horizontal when my brain tells me it's not…

The screen contents and displayed data is complete, so it must be the viewfinder screen itself that doesn't match the sensor orientation exactly. The LCD screen looks correctly aligned, so it should be the EVF rather than the sensor. The same is visible in playback mode with a photo of the same scene.

Amazon allows me to return the whole thing; I'd have to ask whether I may send in the camery body alone.

Amazon support said I should send it back to them for repair, and it would be enough to send in the camera without the kit lens. (The tilted EVF image can be seen without a lens, just looking at the data display row, just not as obvious.) Their instructions say I should include any relevant accessories like battery, charger etc. I'm not sure it's a good idea to just keep the battery, even if it's a hazardous material. I don't even know what they're going to do with the camera as they say it'll be back with me in 10 days.

• 4 weeks later...

I sent it for repair but the repair company wasn't able to find anything. They probably didn't hold the camera right or look into the EVF at all. Amazon has then sent me a replacement which is free from defects.

As I bought the kit including a 1670Z lens, they sent me the whole package. Interestingly, the lens from the second shipment wasn't as sharp. It's centered well but only sharp if stopped down by 2 stops (f/8), the first one was already sharp at f/5.6. I'm surprised of the high quality fluctuations. 50% of 2 cameras had a defect and 50% of 2 lenses were visibly less sharp than the best of them. 100% of 2 kit packages had some issue.

• 4 weeks later...

4 months ago I bought an a6300 on ebay.  The EVF was so tilted that I carefully inspected the side of the camera, assuming I would see signs of it being dropped.  I estimate it was off by 8° counter-clockwise.

3 weeks ago I bought an a6500 from adorama.  The EVF was tilted counter-clockwise about 4°.  Enough to drive me insane.  So i sent it back for a return as defective.  I would have done an exchange, but I feared their entire batch would have the defect.

Last week I bought one from K&M Camera.  It arrived today.  The EVF is tilted counter-clockwise about 2-3°.  Still plenty to drive me crazy.  I'm sending it back for a return, except I'm convinced that they all have this defect, and I may not order another to try.