zeiss 16-35mm on A6000

Zingalls63

Hello everyone first time poster here.  I was wondering if anyone has experience with the zeiss 16-35mm f4 on the A6000?  I'm between that and the zeiss 24mm f1.8.  I've been able to find many photos taken with the 24mm, which have been extremely sharp and the color is great.  I haven't been able to find pictures taken with the 16-35mm on an A6000 and am curious as to whether the IQ is as good.  Any suggestions on which one or experience with either lens would be greatly appreciated!

I had the 16-35 f4 and used it on the a6000, a6300, and the a7rII.  I did not like it (not as sharp as the 90mm f2.8, and I know that is not a fair comparison, but that was the other lens that I had at the same time).  I am waiting for the 16-35 f2.8 GM lens.  It seems that the 16-35 f4 has good reviews and most people like it.  I do not have experience with the 24 mm f1.8.  If others do not post any example photos using the 16-35 f4, I will.

you're comparing apples to oranges here.

it's zoom vs. prime, f4 vs f1.8, big vs small. ff vs crop

it depends on what you're shooting

i own the 24mm and i love it. nice colors and really sharp. not too expensive and not too big.

if i had kept my a7 i'd see an advantage in using the 16-35 on it as well on my a6000.

i think there are better options as you're shooting crop only.

you're comparing apples to oranges here.

it's zoom vs. prime, f4 vs f1.8, big vs small. ff vs crop

it depends on what you're shooting

i own the 24mm and i love it. nice colors and really sharp. not too expensive and not too big.

if i had kept my a7 i'd see an advantage in using the 16-35 on it as well on my a6000.

i think there are better options as you're shooting crop only.

I realize that they are very different lenses.  I like to take landscapes and I'm not afraid to get up close and personal with a subject.  Could you expand on those better options?

I had the 16-35 f4 and used it on the a6000, a6300, and the a7rII.  I did not like it (not as sharp as the 90mm f2.8, and I know that is not a fair comparison, but that was the other lens that I had at the same time).  I am waiting for the 16-35 f2.8 GM lens.  It seems that the 16-35 f4 has good reviews and most people like it.  I do not have experience with the 24 mm f1.8.  If others do not post any example photos using the 16-35 f4, I will.

Thanks! Yea I'm not really willing to shell out $1,300 or so dollars for a lens that very sharp

The 24mm Zeiss is a nice lens. My copy, however, is not superb. Maybe I am not lucky, but in my tests and practice it performs quite similar to the Sony E 35mm f/1.8. I find this nice, as I get uniform result with the pair. But for more than twice the price, I think the 24 is overpriced. The manufacturers also think this, as they keep offering $200 discount for it every now and then. Still, $900 is too much for the compared result and for the technological piece you get. (you may get a Demo lens in used departments for just $750, which should be its fair price)

Pricing a product is such a dark science. This lens was launched very early in the history of Sony E system, promising an upper standard. After the system (and other brands) options has grown, its price appears to be out of the curve. Compare it with the Touit line, with the same Zeiss stamp, or even some full frame lenses and you find that it shoud cost about 30% less. It is in the same price range as the Batis 85mm and 25mm!!! I bought mine 4 years ago and today I would choose the Batis 25 for just $200 more!

If you will keep you system in the APSC format and want the flexibility of a zoom, then the 16-70mm (about $1000) or the 18-105mm (about $600) are good options. I cannot talk about the former as I never tried it, but I've seen good comments and reviews. I own the 18-105mm and am very satisfied with my copy. I bought it mostly to shoot video with the A6000. But for special occasions I use it for stills and it performs quite well when stopped down to f/8 or 11. If you choose it, for the same budget as for the 16-35mm ($ 1350) you may add two or three primes with excelent quality. I can recommend any of the following lenses (which I own):

• Rokinon (Samyang) 12mm f/2 (manual focus) ($330)
  • Sigma 19mm f/2.8 ($200)
  • Sony E 35mm f/1.8 ($450)

Other options that I have not tried but have good reviews:

• Sigma Contemporary 30mm f/1.4 ($340)
  • Sony E 50mm f/1.8 ($300) (the APSC OSS lens)
  • Sony FE Macro 50mm f/2.8 ($500)

If I would start from zero today my choice would be this: Sony 18-105/4, Sigma 30/1.4, Sony 50/1.8. That would be $1240 ($110 less than the zoom you are considering).

The 24mm Zeiss is a nice lens. My copy, however, is not superb. Maybe I am not lucky, but in my tests and practice it performs quite similar to the Sony E 35mm f/1.8. I find this nice, as I get uniform result with the pair. But for more than twice the price, I think the 24 is overpriced. The manufacturers also think this, as they keep offering $200 discount for it every now and then. Still, $900 is too much for the compared result and for the technological piece you get. (you may get a Demo lens in used departments for just $750, which should be its fair price)

Pricing a product is such a dark science. This lens was launched very early in the history of Sony E system, promising an upper standard. After the system (and other brands) options has grown, its price appears to be out of the curve. Compare it with the Touit line, with the same Zeiss stamp, or even some full frame lenses and you find that it shoud cost about 30% less. It is in the same price range as the Batis 85mm and 25mm!!! I bought mine 4 years ago and today I would choose the Batis 25 for just $200 more!

If you will keep you system in the APSC format and want the flexibility of a zoom, then the 16-70mm (about $1000) or the 18-105mm (about $600) are good options. I cannot talk about the former as I never tried it, but I've seen good comments and reviews. I own the 18-105mm and am very satisfied with my copy. I bought it mostly to shoot video with the A6000. But for special occasions I use it for stills and it performs quite well when stopped down to f/8 or 11. If you choose it, for the same budget as for the 16-35mm ($ 1350) you may add two or three primes with excelent quality. I can recommend any of the following lenses (which I own):

• Rokinon (Samyang) 12mm f/2 (manual focus) ($330)
  • Sigma 19mm f/2.8 ($200)
  • Sony E 35mm f/1.8 ($450)

Other options that I have not tried but have good reviews:

• Sigma Contemporary 30mm f/1.4 ($340)
  • Sony E 50mm f/1.8 ($300) (the APSC OSS lens)
  • Sony FE Macro 50mm f/2.8 ($500)

If I would start from zero today my choice would be this: Sony 18-105/4, Sigma 30/1.4, Sony 50/1.8. That would be $1240 ($110 less than the zoom you are considering).!

Oh boy you've given me a ton to think about/research!  Thank you for all the effort and time you put into this response!

Well, I have been a bit contradictory in my first comment. Somehow I did not follow your first interest in my suggestions, ending up with different focal lengths.

Strictly to your original post, you are considering a 60o wide angle (I prefer to compare angles rather than 35mm equivalents), specifically the 24mm Zeiss.

Well, that is the best prime lens option in this system (APSC). It is really good, great all around lens (the classical angle for a street photographer), just too expensive for what you get. I assure you that you will not regret if you buy one.

As I mentioned, right now there is one Demo lens being sold at Adorama for $750 (search Used Department - I am just a customer, no interest in the sales; I also buy at Samy's, B&H and other trusted sellers).

That's a fair price, as I said. If you include in your order a new Sony G 18-105mm f/4 at $600 (which I find a bargain), the total will be $1350, exactly the price of the controversial Zeiss FE 16-35mm f/4!!! 

By the way, I also own one A7RII. I do not have native wide angles for it yet. I use some prime A-mount lenses with the adapter. So, now I am considering to buy a new...

...Sony Vario-Tessar 16-35mm f/4 OSS!!!

Why? It will cover all angles that I don't have and fill the gap until I can get good Wide Angle FE primes.

Well, I have been a bit contradictory in my first comment. Somehow I did not follow your first interest in my suggestions, ending up with different focal lengths.

Strictly to your original post, you are considering a 60o wide angle (I prefer to compare angles rather than 35mm equivalents), specifically the 24mm Zeiss.

Well, that is the best prime lens option in this system (APSC). It is really good, great all around lens (the classical angle for a street photographer), just too expensive for what you get. I assure you that you will not regret if you buy one.

As I mentioned, right now there is one Demo lens being sold at Adorama for $750 (search Used Department - I am just a customer, no interest in the sales; I also buy at Samy's, B&H and other trusted sellers).

That's a fair price, as I said. If you include in your order a new Sony G 18-105mm f/4 at $600 (which I find a bargain), the total will be $1350, exactly the price of the controversial Zeiss FE 16-35mm f/4!!! 

By the way, I also own one A7RII. I do not have native wide angles for it yet. I use some prime A-mount lenses with the adapter. So, now I am considering to buy a new...

Why? It will cover all angles that I don't have and fill the gap until I can get good Wide Angle FE primes.

I've just found one used (Open Box) Sony G 18-105mm f/4 at B&H for $500!

Woah thank you very much! I actually just received a rental  24mm and I LOVE it!  The focal length is perfect for me, it's crazy sharp and has great color.  So now I really think its between this and the Batis 25mm.  Also with the G 18-105 I don't really need one to zoom that much, I plan on buying the FE 70-300mm next summer.  Thank you so much for your responses I really appreciate it

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I wanted to thank you for telling me about the Batis 25mm.  I rented both the 24mm and the Batis and the Batis is absolutely amazing on the a6000.  I will definitely be buying it after the holidays.  Again thank you very much!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the lens and it is very useful, but performance drops significantly above 28mm.  I compared this lens to my little Sigma 19mm and the latter is amazingly sharp.  If you don't need the flexibility of the zoom, the Sigma is sharper, has great rendering, hardly weighs anything, and has 2.8 aperture.  Finally it can be had for $200 (I got mine used on Ebay for $150.)..it is a wonderful everyday carry around lens.