A7rii won't stay in menu/function

Hello all. My a7rii is acting crazy. Whenever I do anything such as manual focus with focus magnification, the camera immediately exits out of the function The same happens when I press the menu button. It shows for just a moment and then exits out. In fact for ANY function button I press it exits out before there is any time to do anything. I am afraid that I won't even be able to try to upgrade firmware to try to fix this issue. Any suggestions other than Sony Service Center?

Dale

Weird, I'd be a little concerned as well!

If I experienced the problem I'd try a hard reboot by removing memory card, removing the lens and putting on the caps when camera is off, turn camera on, pop battery out, wait one minute, put lens back on, pop battery back in, let camera start up to see if it functions normally.

Just a suggestion.

Been thinking... maybe you have a button sticking. You know, if you're in a menu or magnified focus situation and accidentally press the shutter or other control button you immediately exit.

I'd check each press item on the camera to see if it's sticking/stuck.

Do you happen to have the battery grip connected?  

I had the same problem as soon as I installed the battery grip.  I would go into manual focus magnification, and just touching the lens or the grip would make the camera exit the function and cause the camera to act strange.

The solution was NOT to remove the battery grip, but to *TURN THE BATTERY GRIP OFF*.  

After I turned the switch on the grip to the OFF position, the camera functions normally, and I can still keep the grip connected to the camera body with the two batteries inside still functioning normally.  This was fine with me, because I added the grip for the extra battery capacity, and I wanted to add a little weight to the camera.

Of course, I do wish everything worked correctly as I was expecting it to.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/30/2016 at 3:44 PM, rjp85 said:

Do you happen to have the battery grip connected?  

I had the same problem as soon as I installed the battery grip.  I would go into manual focus magnification, and just touching the lens or the grip would make the camera exit the function and cause the camera to act strange.

The solution was NOT to remove the battery grip, but to *TURN THE BATTERY GRIP OFF*.  

After I turned the switch on the grip to the OFF position, the camera functions normally, and I can still keep the grip connected to the camera body with the two batteries inside still functioning normally.  This was fine with me, because I added the grip for the extra battery capacity, and I wanted to add a little weight to the camera.

Of course, I do wish everything worked correctly as I was expecting it to.

I know this is a very old post but thanks! I just set up a new ar7iii and put the grip on before setting it up. The menu would constantly vanish. Once I locked the grip, the menu stayed on. I think my right palm was pressing the vertical shutter release. Google pointed me here to this post. I just joined as well. :)

Edited by Figment
spelling