Sony 16-50 pz pancake lens

NightFury

The newer ones are actually not bad sharpness quality wise. But the a6000 camera does do a lot of distortion correction with that lens. You'll see a lot of barrel distortion in a RAW uncorrected image. Not sure if the NEX-7 has the correction software for that lens

It's actually much better than the much more expensive sel18105g when it comes to barrel distortion.

The sel1650 is probably the best pocket and go lens for the NEX linup

However i am unsure if the sel1650 will collapse for storage on the nex7 you'll have to research that.

i have the 16-50 and NEX-7 and it works great

it is a very nice and very small lens and the NEX-7 will correct the distortion, because the info about correction is in the lens itself….

i think

but the old 18-55 is much better, but more bulky

it is sharper and has more resolution in the image border´ and mid field

if you look for image quality the 18-55 is decent

if you look for compactness the 16-50 is the go to lens 

Thanks markfireblade. Much appreciated. I have an A6000 body - received on Tuesday. No lenses yet.  I was ideally looking for another A6000 body because I'm going to get rid of my Samsung NX system. The NEX-7 is going at a good price and it comes with the lens and includes shipping. It's a good deal if you consider where I'm based. It's like getting the lens for free.

I could use the 16-50 as a walk around lens until I can get my hands on an 18-105 f/4, Sigma 30 f/1.4 and Sony 50 f/1.8, hopefully in a month. I know it's not going to give great images but I think it may help with me getting to grips with the cameras before the lens upgrades.

Otherwise, it's forget the NEX-7 now and just get a decent lens for the A6000. But I know I'm not going to get a NEX-7 or A6000 for that price.      

There is a definite quality difference between the older selp1650 and the newer ones.  Ive had both.  The older one was very quite but the image quality was not the best. The new one i have was manufactured less than a 6 months ago and it makes a bit of noise while zooming and "unpancaking" but the image quality is far better than the the first one i had.

kind of odd.

However,,,, none of them can compare to the SAL1650 f2.8  that lens is just amazing at anything above 18mm. but it's HUGE especially with the adapter.

If you get the sel18105g, You'll enjoy it's fixed barrel length but your 18mm shot camera jpegs will be heavily cropped by the camera. I did a wedding once using that lens. i ended up having to do a lot of raw editing. But on the plus side the lens works very well in video mode.

Also you will notice that the a6000 actually has a tad better sensor that the nex7. But not worth worrying about. The NEx7 has a all metal body which is nice.

The nex-7 also had the old Minolta/Sony flash mount.

Thanks OldNoob. Since it comes with the NEX-7 I figure it's the older version. I am only going to shoot raw since I do weddings and don't take chances. Yes, that adapter thing and the weight. I have Spondylosis so am really trying to keep the weight down and I don't want the bulk. I will definitely get the Sigma 30 f/1.4, Sony f/1.8 and wide prime for low light use. I do video as well. Thanks for responding.    

...... Since it comes with the NEX-7 I figure it's the older version. ......

The Nex-7 always shipped with the 18-55, so the 16-50 

may be the older or newer version, as it is newer than 

the Nex-7 body where it now sits. The question remains, 

as to just how much newer [which version].  

--------------------------------------------------------------------    

I have two of each model, but don't know whether either 

of my 16-50 might be an earlier or later type. Both 16-50

are noisy, about equally noisy.

I agree the 18-55 image looks better, but it's not so earth 

shaking that you should ignore the compactness of the 

16-50, if compactness is a priority. I prefer the 18-55 for 

ergonomics. IQ isn't a deciding factor. If the 16-50 turned 

the camera into a really "pocketable" device, I'd have no 

hesitation to use it and put up with its controls. But it isn't  

really pocketable, so the 16-50 sit idle.