Post earthquake A7RM2 sensor quality issues

BLPHOTO

I just purchased an additional A7RM2 through Amazon a few weeks back. I am familiar with the amazing sensor quality of this camera. I am finding that this new batch (Sept-Oct 2016) of cameras are having image quality problems. The photos are blurry and not tack sharp using the same lenses and setting as my 2015 copy. Is anyone else out there having the same issues? I can't even get a exchange or a replacement due to the low quantities! Sony support hasn't been helpful at all. Their consumer affairs used to be amazing and now its terrible. So upset.

Hi there. Sorry you're having challenges. A couple of thoughts... That sounds less like a sensor issue (unless it's dirty) than a focus issue. One way to check is to use manual focus and focus peeking. if you're able to obtain focus manually you might be able to adjust it. Some lenses support Sony's Micro Adjustment. I haven't tried theirs yet, however, this issue was so common between Canon bodies and lenses that they put in a Micro Adjustment that remembered the lens. I had to adjust each body and lens. In the past though, we had to send in all our bodies and lenses and have them adjusted to work together. That is if you truly needed matching spot on focus. Good luck.

Hi there. Sorry you're having challenges. A couple of thoughts... That sounds less like

a sensor issue (unless it's dirty) than a focus issue. One way to check is to use manual

focus and focus peeking. if you're able to obtain focus manually you might be able to

adjust it. Some lenses support Sony's Micro Adjustment. I haven't tried theirs yet,

however, this issue was so common between Canon bodies and lenses that they put in

a Micro Adjustment that remembered the lens. I had to adjust each body and lens. In the

past though, we had to send in all our bodies and lenses and have them adjusted to work

together. That is if you truly needed matching spot on focus. Good luck.

All of that, all of it, it for SLRs and does not apply to a7-type cameras nor any 

other live view sensor-based focusing system, AF and MF both the same.  

I just purchased an additional A7RM2 through Amazon a few weeks back. I am familiar with the amazing sensor quality of this camera. I am finding that this new batch (Sept-Oct 2016) of cameras are having image quality problems. The photos are blurry and not tack sharp using the same lenses and setting as my 2015 copy. Is anyone else out there having the same issues? I can't even get a exchange or a replacement due to the low quantities! Sony support hasn't been helpful at all. Their consumer affairs used to be amazing and now its terrible. So upset.

I certainly hope its not an issue... have just bought a post-quake one for my workplace, so will test it out as soon as I get it, compared to my own pre-quake A7RII.   thx for posting potential issue....  will update when I test.

@BLPHOTO

I just tasted both my bodies shooting my Batis 85mm F1.8 and Loxia 50mm F2.

They are both super sharp and identical in IQ at every aperture, or at least so close that any differences are probably due to operator error.

My original body serial number: 338xxxx

My new body serial number:      339xxxx

What serial number is your new one?

Did a quick test on the new A7RII body (picked up today) against my slightly older A7RII body from June 2016 on some test focus charts... same lens and settings etc etc.....   essentially no difference to speak of that I'm concerned about.    :huh:

@BLPHOTO

I just tasted both my bodies shooting my Batis 85mm F1.8 and Loxia 50mm F2.

They are both super sharp and identical in IQ at every aperture, or at least so close that any differences are probably due to operator error.

My original body serial number: 338xxxx

My new body serial number:      339xxxx

What serial number is your new one?

Mine is 339

@dlo 

One would assume that 339xxxx are the post earthquake models but I don't know this definitevely.

@BLPHOTO

Maybe the IBIS is hosed.

Did you try turning it off?

Have you looked at the sensor under a strong sensor cleaning light?

Maybe there is just some residual film on it.

I'd get some SmearAway and Sensor Clean from these guys

http://www.visibledust.com/

Worked wonders on my A6000 that got dropped into a river.

I was able to dry it out after one week, but there were hard water marks on the sensor.

The Smear Away cleaned it all of easily.

*UPDATE:

Ordered second A7RM2 from Amazon and VIOLA! No issues! Lens locked on with AF and provided sharp crystal clear images. Same 339xxx serial series. So I am guessing I got a bad camera. New one works, problem solved.