70-200 2.8 GM - Any shipping update?

Hi all, 

Has anyone heard any shipping updates on the 70-200 f2.8 GM from Sony or distributors/re-sellers?  

I ordered mine on July 20th in the US from Amazon. So far Amazon's two updates on arrival time were incorrect. 

Somewhere I heard they were supposed to start shipping the 1st part of October?

Anyone have any other info?

Thanks

Scott

Hi alastc.

My order was placed July 20th via Amazon and my local shop. Yeah, they are behind. My local shop's owner is friends with someone way up in Sony and was told that the earthquake did a lot more damage to the factories in that area than anyone publicly acknowledged.  I guess this factory is the one that produces the GM lenses. 

I only wish they would notify people and their channel with status. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I ordered mine on July 12th.  Here it is Nov 14th and I still no idea when it might come in.  I'm glad to hear others are receiving their's but 5 months is quite a silly length of time to wait.  Just saying and sharing my frustration.  

Hi Jiman, 

That's a bummer that you haven't received yours yet. That's way too long.

As a working commercial and selling fine art photographer that just switched from Canon to Sony, I've been watching how Sony is recovering and responding to this situation. I'm not impressed. I'm also not impressed with how their marketing on their pro-level products does not match the actual product. 

Did you order your lens from a large distributor or smaller reseller? Just curious. 

One thing I did was start calling Amazon Prime Business, which they route to a US based call center, and told them (truthfully) that I had jobs waiting on the lens. (I stupidly sold all my Canon gear thinking Sony would ship gear when they said it would be available. I learned later shipping many months after their announced ship date, is their norm.) That may or may not have made a difference?  I don't know. 

Keep us up to date, it helps others know what's going on.

Just FYI, I'm should be receiving my 2x TC for the 70-200 GM today. I hope it's better than the reviews I'm reading, yikes!

I got mine recently as well, and jessops had the 2x coverter in stock, so I took some test shots:

http://www.sonyalphaforum.com/topic/6289-sony-70-200-gm-and-2x-converter/?do=findComment&comment=29051

Not sure what the reviews say yet, but I thought the converter was pretty much on a part with the Canon one I used to have.

You lose a stop, which affects the focus and depth of field, and a smidge of sharpness, but for double the reach that might be acceptable. And is the only way to get 400mm native emount for now...

Saw an ad in SonyAlpharumors that Best Buy had a few 70-200GM's in stock (first come first serve).  I've email my supplier (not a small dealership chain here in Canada) asking the WTF.  I'm sure they are inundated with frustrated customers.   I did try to contact someone at Sony Canada, but so far no response (after leaving multiple messages).   

Now this is funny  - after sending the email to my supplier this morning and as I was penning this message, I just received a call indicating the lens was received into stock last night and would be shipped out from Toronto to Vernon, BC by tomorrow. Should have by early next week.  Fantastic!

Jim. 

• 4 weeks later...

It had been almost four months since I ordered my Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 G Master via Amazon. With no updates, I started monitoring Best Buy's website on a daily basis. This past Tuesday, they listed it in stock. I immediately bought one, and it arrived today. I cancelled my Amazon order. As an earilier post indicated, this is the second time that Best Buy listed the lens "in stock" in the past month or so. This makes me wonder whether the line is much shorter on Best Buy versus the two major retailers in New York or the big online retailer in the Pacfic Northwest. In any event, Best Buy delivered before Amazon, and they listed the lens as "in stock" while the New York retailers have never listed it "in stock". I wonder whether Best Buy has "shorter lines"?

On Dec 19 at Pro Photo Supply in Portland, OR I got to handle a 70-200 G 2.8.  They were willing to sell it to me there and then. But I passed it up for the moment.  I already have the FE 70-200 4 and am reluctant to take on the heavier 2.8 lens. I didn't inquire  as to how many they had on hand.

My equipment is the A7rII and 90 percent of my shooting needs are fulfilled by a 24-70 2.8 and the 70-200 4. 

• 4 weeks later...

Ordered my 70-200 GM in late Dec. 2016 from B&H. Got an email from B&H today Jan 26, 2017, stating my lens is on its way. So for those waiting -good news- you  should get your lens within a month's time. For those who were waiting to order- not too long of a wait now, (unless the recent DxO excellent review of the lens draws in a lot of new buyers). 

• 4 weeks later...

Just FYI in case someone is trying to get one of these unicorns, Farr's in Ogden Ut (a little mom & pop store, but the oldest Sony dealer in Utah) has an unopened one that just arrived in their stock. You can contact them via FB (Farr's Jewelry) or their website www.farrs.com