Are A7SII lenses compatible with other high end Sony Mirrorless cameras?

The A99 actually IS a "mirrorless camera" ... which is a fine

example of why that term needs to be buried and forgotten.

The A99 is a Live View camera, having no mirror-dependent

SLR viewing system what-so-ever.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------  

There is no such thing as a "mirrorless camera". Unless we

consider that there are also viewfinderless camera, filmless

cameras, lensless cameras, and sugarless cameras. All of 

those types of "something-less" cameras really DO exist but

none of them are called "XYZ-less cameras". They have real

names based on what they DO have, not based what they

DON'T have.

The reason that E-mount lenses do not adapt to A-mount

cameras is the same reason that M-mount Leica lenses do  

not adapt to Leica SLRs [nor Canon SLRs, nor any SLRs].  

It would be a waste of time to explain flange depth here. But  

it's a very easy concept to understand once you look it up, so

obviously I'm encouraging you do that.  

Or maybe you have a friend using two systems and who has

an adapter to connect them. Once you have immediately at

hand the two systems, a couple of lenses and an appropriate

adapter, understanding comes easily and immediately.

The 99II is an A-mount camera.

The A7sII is an e-mount camera.

You can easily adapt a A-mount lens to an e-mount body using one of the many A to E-mount adapters on the market today.  :)

Conversely, adapting an E-mount lens to work on a A-mount body is quite a different thing. The E to A mount adapter would have to be made so as to move the focal plane of the e-mount lens back further into the camera, to the location of the a-mount focal plane (aka film plane in film days). As of yet, i am unaware of any E lens to A mount adapters. :unsure:

Also the a99 and a99ii  IS considered a "mirrored" "SLT" camera because it uses a fixed pellicle mirror, set at an angle for phase-detecting auto focusing. ;)

Sony-a99II-AF-Cutaway.jpg

a99ii

The SLT mirror can be lifted for sensor cleaning.

However it is to be noted that SLT camera sensors, on average, go a much longer time before needing to be cleaned than compared to a true mirrorless camera where there is not a protective glass sealing off the sensor.

Are there any downsides to using an adapter to go from an A-mount to an E-mount? Do they focus slower? Is it anything like using an adapter on a Sony camera to use a Canon lens?

Thanks.

Yes depending on the lens age, lens to sensor design, and the type of adapter.

To better understand the lens/adapter matching variables i will first breakdown the A mount lenses into 4 categories.

#1 Older Minolta, Sony and Third party Full Frame A-mount lenses that use a camera turned mechanical linkage screw drive focus system.

#2 Older Minolta/Konica DT, Sony DT and Third party APS sized sensor A-mount lenses that use a camera turned mechanical linkage screw drive focus system.

#3 Newer Sony and Third party Full Frame A-mount lenses that use a focusing drive that is in the lens and controlled electronically from the camera through the data connection pens

#4 Newer Sony DT and Third party APS sized sensor A-mount lenses that use a focusing drive that is in the lens and controlled electronically from the camera through the data connection pens

All Sony a-mount cameras can use both the older mechanical camera driven screw drive linkage lenses or the newer in-lens drive.

Newer sony a-mount lenses with the focus drive motor inside of the lens are often referred to as SSM, SAM or SAMII lenses.

*note* Most Sony APS lenses get automatically cropped by Full frame Sony cameras. This is feature that can be turned off on some cameras*

Now for the Sony adapters....

The LA-EA1 is a simple A to e-mount adapter with a APS sized opening. This adapter works with most Sony a-mount lenses with the in the lens focusing drive. HOWEVER some lenses may "Hunt" or focus slower with this adapter. Full frame lenses will be cropped to APS size with the LA-EA1. Older a-mount lenses with the mechanical linkage screw drive focusing system will NOT auto-focus with the LA-EA1

The LA-EA2 is an APS sized adapter that has a slanted pellicle mirror in it for phase detect focus and also has a focus drive motor in it. The LA-EA2 will work with most, if not all, a-mount lenses but these will possibly loose up to a third of a stop in light loss OR MORE and full frame lens images will be cropped to APS size.

The LA-EA3 is a simple A to e-mount Full Frame adapter. This adapter works with most Sony a-mount lenses with the in the lens focusing drive. HOWEVER some lenses may "Hunt" or focus slower with this adapter. Older a-mount lenses with the mechanical linkage screw drive focusing system will NOT auto-focus with the LA-EA3

The LA-EA4 is an Full Frame sized adapter that has a slanted pellicle mirror in it for phase detect focus and also has a focus drive motor in it. The LA-EA4 will work with most, if not all, a-mount lenses but these will possibly loose up to a third of a stop in light loss.

*note* A-mount lenses, as a rule, do not have stabilization built in. E-mount camera's with in-body stabilization are very helpful especially with adapted telephoto lenses.*

Adapters for Canon, Nikon ,Fuji, Pentax and other brands exist, but functionality varies.

Sony-a99II-AF-Cutaway.jpg

a99ii

The SLT mirror can be lifted for sensor cleaning.

However it is to be noted that SLT camera sensors, on average, go a much longer time before needing

to be cleaned than compared to a true mirrorless camera where there is not a protective glass sealing

off the sensor.

Wouldn't it be cool, and wouldn't it be rather easy on Sony's part, to allow users to raise the pellicle

out of the way, for times when the extra effective ISO speed is needed. It's still a live view system so

sensor based AF could function, or use of magnified manual focus. Maybe Sony will see the light :-) 

Wouldn't it be cool, and wouldn't it be rather easy on Sony's part, to allow users to raise the pellicle

out of the way, for times when the extra effective ISO speed is needed. It's still a live view system so

sensor based AF could function, or use of magnified manual focus. Maybe Sony will see the light :-) 

Yep. Seems like it would be as simple as a firmware update or App.

But it would mean loosing reliability in some shooting situations. I can tell you for experience telephoto A-mount lenses really do not like to focus in low light without phase detect.

I'm not sure about the a99 or a99ii but i have read that one can remove the "mirror" on the a77 and still take photos but that there is no sharpness improvement in the image.

The pellicle mirror has come a long way in coatings since the a55

Some years ago people who experimented with the a55 by removing the mirror often found better results in image quality. That's not the case anymore.

I wasn't concerned with sharpness, just transmission loss.

If you wanna test the current pellicle, just bring together an

LA-EA3 and LA-EA4, then test each with the identical body

and lens.  

Sharpness doesn't intruigue me all that much. I have the

adapters on hand, though. Maybe someday if I'm reeeeally

bored outa my mind, but not feeling way too lazy .... 

......... and pigs will fly :-)