Clicking sound with Sony SEL1670Z 4f/16-70mm lens

AndyWolan

I have the Sony a6000 and I recently purchased the Sony SEL1670Z lens. When I turn the barrel of the lens, it will make a "click" sound whenever it passed the "24mm" mark. More specifically, when I rotate it from 16-70, the sound is made as it passes "24mm".

When I turn it from 70-16, it makes a louder click sound as it passed "24mm".  Is the clicking sound normal?

Thanks,

Andy

I had the same click with my SEL1670Z copy.  

Sony support was so far beyond useless that I won't even mention their response.

Other than the annoying click itself, there seemed to be no other issues at all.  It's probably normal for that lens and completely harmless in the long run.  Even if they send you a new copy under warranty there's probably a chance the replacement would have the same issue.

So if that's the only problem with your lens, I wouldn't waste any more time on it.  Just let it be.

Return it for replacement if your warranty provides

for that. Sony service has a horrible reputation.

Although I cannot speak for their lens service I can, albeit anecdotally, speak for their service when replacing the lens assembly in my RX100M3 which I believe was a too frequent for comfort occurrence for them. Took to shop and back inside 10 working days all fixed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...