XAVC to FCP 7?

ymotion

Hi,

I recently bought the alpha 7 mrk ii. I can shoot AVCHD but wanted to check the better encoder XAVC. I'm working with FCP 7. It does not recognize the file (although I can still play the file with QT - which is a bit strange for me. I guess I'm missing something here...). I searched online and found several external software that can convert XAVC to ProRes 422. Does anyone have tried one of these softwares? Since they are not free I'm a bit concern about the conversion. I've heard that conversion might lower the quality of the file. 

Thanks a lot!

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your input. 
Unfortunately, the update for video formats mentioned in the link works only with XAVC-I but not with XAVC-S...I couldn't make FCP 7 understand XAVC-S files. If I'm missing something please let me know.

I haven't worked with that format but, usually, it's best to convert to a minimally compressed format (rather than the AVC delivery format) prior to dropping the footage into FCP so constant re-rendering is avoided. Perhaps Apple Intermediate Codec or Apple ProRes would serve you better?