Zeiss Batis 35 & 50mm ??

apinajus

I own the Sony 35 as well as the Zeiss 25.  The Zeiss was not available when I bought the Sony 35 used.  The Sony 35 is small and light...perfect for taking to the park on a long walk or street photography.  But I rarely use it now because the Zeiss is wider and faster.  I just love the Batis lenses from Zeiss!!!  I will most likely buy the 18mm too.  So if I were you, I would just go ahead and get the Zeiss 25 Batis.  This focal length is a versatile spot.  It is wide enough to get really close for a portrait but not so wide you get too much distortion.  And it still works for landscape shots.  And many pure landscape lenses are f4 like the Sony 16-35.  The Zeiss Batis is f2 which I love.  The only downside is the Batis is almost twice the cost.

• 4 weeks later...

I am also waiting for Batis 35mm badly.

Similar to what pfles said,

35mm fe 2.8 is good but not fast enough

35mm Loxia is manual focus (I have Leica m240 and 35mm fle summilux so if I want to use manual focus I have good camera combo)

and Sony fe 35mm 1.4 too big and heavey for travel photo (compact size and light weight eithout quality compromise is main reason for sony for me)

I hope Zeiss can come up with compact and reasonably fast high quality 35mm.

I would buy a Batis 35 f/2.0 in a heartbeat. I have the Batis 25 f/2.0 and the Sony-Zeiss 35 f/2.8 and find myself using the 35 more often than the 25. The 25 is a beautiful lens and yields terrific results, but for street shooting and people in general I prefer the more natural 35mm fov. Walking around the local farmers market the 25 has too much distortion, the 35 is more natural looking. I had a Loxia 50 for a while and loved it's result, but just could not get used to the manual focus. I have no doubt the Loxia 35 is better than the Sony-Zeiss 35 f/2.8, but I really want to take advantage of all the great A7rii auto focus feature, and like others have already said the Sony-Zeiss 35 f/1.4 is huge and expensive. Another option I want to look at is the Sigma 35 f/1.4 art lens with the mc11 adapter. It's less expensive than the Sony 1.4, but it's still large.

I would buy a Batis 35 f/2.0 in a heartbeat. I have the Batis 25 f/2.0 and the Sony-Zeiss 35 f/2.8 and find myself using the 35 more often than the 25. The 25 is a beautiful lens and yields terrific results, but for street shooting and people in general I prefer the more natural 35mm fov. Walking around the local farmers market the 25 has too much distortion, the 35 is more natural looking. I had a Loxia 50 for a while and loved it's result, but just could not get used to the manual focus. I have no doubt the Loxia 35 is better than the Sony-Zeiss 35 f/2.8, but I really want to take advantage of all the great A7rii auto focus feature, and like others have already said the Sony-Zeiss 35 f/1.4 is huge and expensive. Another option I want to look at is the Sigma 35 f/1.4 art lens with the mc11 adapter. It's less expensive than the Sony 1.4, but it's still large.

Hi buddies,

I was just wondering if anyone has any info or thought on whether Zeiss will expand their Batis family adding a 35 or 50mm lens/es...

I should buy a 35mm lens and I do not know if I should wait or go for the Sony 2.8 one.

Hi, Newbie,

I´m definitely sure, that we`ll get first a 135, hopefully a ApoSonnar 2,0. We have quite a lot of possibilities for 35 and 50: 2,8/35 CZ/Sony, 1,4 CZ/Sony, a couple of 50ies inc. the manual Loxia. But we suffer under a gap of a longer one than 90mm. 

I´m definitely sure, that we`ll get first a 135, hopefully a ApoSonnar 2,0. We have quite a lot of possibilities for 35 and 50: 2,8/35 CZ/Sony, 1,4 CZ/Sony, a couple of 50ies inc. the manual Loxia. But we suffer under a gap of a longer one than 90mm. 

If we do get a 135 (and I hope we do) it would nice if they could refine the manual focus to make it more "direct" rather that the typical "accelerated" method which exists with most decoupled MF systems and which is rather difficult to use for _fast_ manual focusing (like you can do with a Loxia). For that reason alone, the Loxia 85 or Milvus 100-135 remain rather interesting. I doubt we will see another Loxia, and certainly not one with a longer focal length.

Still for me it seems that for very precise focus, _fast_ MF is doing better than AF. For example, when the feathers of a bird, around its eye, should be exactly in focus ... the AF system is not so great at that.

• 7 months later...

Another vote for a Batis 35 and 50. I'd like to own a consistent lens line, and there's a huge gap in focal length between 25mm and 85mm! I think Zeiss hit one out of the park with the Batis line, which to my mind are the ideal compromise between speed and weight/size which Sony just can't seem to get right apart from their original FE 55 1.8. Love the weather sealing, love the digital scale. This is a lens line which deserves to be completed. Now they've fleshed out both ends of the prime scale, the hole in the middle is even more gaping and somewhat baffling.