Canon just handed the entire DSLR video market to Sony...

So the release of the Mark IV version of the legendary Canon 5D is upon us... and what a flop for video users. As Phil Bloom puts it on his write up about the poor video specs...

"The 4K is not full frame, it is not even 1.3x crop like the 1DC. It is 1.74x crop which is HUGE. Whilst the depth of field technically won’t be affected by such a crop the field of view is. To replicate the filed of view of a Canon 85mm F1.2 you will need to look at the 50mm F1.2 and your depth of field will be substantially less shallow because of that. This sucks."

In fact the video specs do not come close to the A7S and Sony will soon be upgrading that model soon and probably with even better video specs.

What were Canon thinking... they should stop listening to their marketing team and listen to the buyers...

That's making the assumption that Canon owns the DSLR market.

As the owner of the excellent Nikon D5 and D500, I'd beg to differ.

That's also making the incorrect assumption that Sony has anything to offer for sports or wildlife photographers :)

Sony cannot touch these cameras.

Before you say A6300 - I have one and it is a joke.

It locks up the UI the same as the A7r II while it writes to the buffer and has a really shallow buffer to boot.

The Nikons with XQD cards have basically a limitless buffer...

That's also making the incorrect assumption that Sony has anything to offer for sports or wildlife photographers :)

It locks up the UI the same as the A7r II while it writes to the buffer and has a really shallow buffer to boot.

The Nikons with XQD cards have basically a limitless buffer...

The new a9 will have unlimited buffer

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Seems Canon & Nikon are 90% photo / 10% video DSLRs. They both make great cameras with a wide assortment of lenses. Sony & Panasonic are true hybrid cameras but no one does both photo & video as well as Sony. FF & APS-C sensors are far better for low light than four-thirds. 

Like everything in life you should purchase to your needs.

The topic is about DSLR *video*, not sports photography, wildlife photography, etc. Canon pioneered this market with the 5D Mark II in 2008, as shown in Vincent Laforet's "Reverie".

This was revolutionary -- there was no other image like full-frame video short of a high-end cinema camera, which is why the 5D2 was used on TV shows. An entire industry grew up around video DSLRs. *That* is the video DSLR market mentioned in the thread title.

Re comparing the still photography performance of the $6,500, 3.1-pound D5 to the $1,000, 14-ounce A6300, yes the D5 is better at sports photography. This doesn't mean that "Sony cannot touch these cameras". Sony can (and probably will) produce a higher-end mirrorless camera with the responsiveness and performance of a D5 or 1DX. It will be big, heavy and expensive, but the additional battery power and CPU heat dissipation will enable AF speed, frame rates and buffer speeds only hinted at in prior mirrorless cameras.

My documentary film crew has a large truckload of various cameras including many Nikon and Canon DSLRs. We still use those for some video material but in general are migrating toward mirrorless cameras like the A7RII and GH4. They are simply better for video and (unlike most dedicated camcorders) can still take stills. We also have professional cameras like the Panasonic AG-DVX200 but for some applications a video "DSLR-like" mirrorless camera is better.

If I was shooting only stills at a wedding or sports event *today* I'd definitely use one of the DSLRs. However the topic is about the video DSLR market which implies a forward-looking perspective. Unless Canon and Nikon get their act together on this they will be left with only the pure photographic market, and that will increasingly come under attack by more capable high-end mirrorless cameras.

So the release of the Mark IV version of the legendary Canon 5D is upon us... and what a flop for video users. As Phil Bloom puts it on his write up about the poor video specs...

"The 4K is not full frame, it is not even 1.3x crop like the 1DC. It is 1.74x crop which is HUGE. Whilst the depth of field technically won’t be affected by such a crop the field of view is. To replicate the filed of view of a Canon 85mm F1.2 you will need to look at the 50mm F1.2 and your depth of field will be substantially less shallow because of that. This sucks."

In fact the video specs do not come close to the A7S and Sony will soon be upgrading that model soon and probably with even better video specs.

What were Canon thinking... they should stop listening to their marketing team and listen to the buyers...

I don't think it is any secret that the 5d is primarily a stills camera. Its cool to have a video feature but I'm not going to shoot my video project solely on a DSLR. Why would Canon destroy all their other video product lines by instilling the same video quality on a stills camera? Their marketing department is making them $$$, thats why they listen. :D

I don't think it is any secret that the 5d is primarily a stills camera. Its cool to have a video feature but I'm not going to shoot my video project solely on a DSLR. Why would Canon destroy all their other video product lines by instilling the same video quality on a stills camera? Their marketing department is making them $$$, thats why they listen. :D

People and organizations frequently shoot video projects on DSLRs. This is because the image quality is better than other video cameras at the same price.

ABC News using three DSLRs to shoot field interview at White House: https://joema.smugmug.com/Photography/ABC-News-Using-DSLRs/n-BsScJC/

ABC Nightline shooting studio interview with DSLR: https://joema.smugmug.com/Photography/ABC-Nightline-Using-DSLR/n-HwH8hG/

CNN shooting piece with 5D Mark III: https://joema.smugmug.com/Photography/CNN-Using-5D-Mark-III/n-5JqGgB/

Re "Why would Canon destroy all their other video product lines", because all the above types of usage will migrate to Sony or Panasonic, along with other hybrid shooting needs. This is already happening -- I have seen it in my own documentary group and among other lower-level independent filmmakers. 

The even greater risk is high-end mirrorless cameras will relatively soon equal or surpass DSLRs in high-frame-rate sports photography situations. Thus the the last dwindling advantage for DSLRs over mirrorless will evaporate. At that point the choice will be between mirrorless cameras that are great at both video and all types of still photography, vs DSLRs which are great at still photography but mediocre at video due to self-imposed limitations. At that late date after years of foot-dragging, Canon and Nikon might wake up, but it might be too late.

Sony A99II is here! Internal 4k, no pixel-binning in a full-frame DSLT that is also a great stills shooter for only $3,198. Game over (for now)! :)