Upgrade to A6300 from A6000: worth it in your opinion?

Still debating whether the upgrade is worth it. Things holding me back are (supposedly) worse 1080p video (which I use more than 4K), no that big a difference in ISO performance (true?) and less sharp in lower ISO's (true?). Things appealing to me : silent shutter, better EVF, eye AF, better noise performance, faster AF, build quality.

So, what's your opinion? Did you upgrade or not? And why? Looking forward.

Thanks

Hi "hansvdc".

What are the biggest advantages of the A 6300 towards the A 6000?
For me, the much more stable housing and especially the stronger bayonet!
The latter circumstance is hardly emphasized in the test reports and forums.

I used to a A 6300 the FE 70-300 G OSS - with absolutely no problems!
At the A 6000 I had a lot of problems with long and heavy telephoto lenses.

The thermal problems of the A 6300 are gone - according to the latest firmware upgrade.

Seems I might be forced to upgrade anyway, as it happens my a6000 got stuck today. Buttons and dials didn't work, camera seemed to be stuck in half-press mode. Even removing the battery did not help. I blew into the shutter a bit and pressed it firmly and now it's back ok but I suppose it's a dying camera now... Had it before on vacation on a few occasions but it always seemed to fix itself.

Guest Jaf-Photo

The most important question is: do you NEED to upgrade or do you just WANT to upgrade? In most cases you don't actually need it but you end up upgrading because you want it.

To be more rational about it, make a list of the things that disappoint you with the A6000, then compare it with the features of the A6300. If they match then an upgrade may be called for.

If not you'll probably be better off saving the money for the next generation or maybe getting a nice lens.

Personally, I bought a new A6000 this week because I couldn't find any good reason to pay more than twice as much for the A6300.

If you are a videographer, absolutely yes. If you are a still photographer that shoots action and gets paid for your work, also absolutely yes. Other than that, probably not. I actually find the silent shutter to be limiting due to the fact that it takes approximately 1/20th of a second for the frame to be read from top to bottom, no matter what your shutter speed is. I don't find the ISO performance to be dramatically different, sharpness certainly isn't an issue, and though the EVF does feel a bit more responsive, it doesn't really improve the experience for me very much.

Well, should be picking up an a6300 today. Will probably get an X-T2 too to see how Fuji compares to Sony, but figured I'd might as well get the A6300 since I have a lot of nice APS-C E-mount lenses and I defintely would like a silent shutter, better EVF, way to set min.shutter speed and improved AF.

Well, I bought it a few days back and while initial impressions were somewhat muted, the more I use it, the more I feel it's definitely a worthwile upgrade. A very good evf, faster AF, silent mode, better high ISO from ISO3200 and up, eye-af in continuous mode, the ability to set minimum shutter speeds etc all add up to a "yes, good camera" feeling. I'm not refuting the fact that a lot of these functionalities could have been added in a firmware upgrade to the a6000 but hey, it's Sony... 

Well, I bought it a few days back and while initial impressions were somewhat muted, the more I use it, the more I feel it's definitely a worthwile upgrade. A very good evf, faster AF, silent mode, better high ISO from ISO3200 and up, eye-af in continuous mode, the ability to set minimum shutter speeds etc all add up to a "yes, good camera" feeling. I'm not refuting the fact that a lot of these functionalities could have been added in a firmware upgrade to the a6000 but hey, it's Sony... 

Good points. it definitely "feels" better, Although i was more of a fan of the piano black finish. 

I have noticed he the Low ISO NR is different. not better or worse persay, just it seems to be using a different algorithm. The high ISO NR is definitely better. 

In retrospect i could of spend a couple hundred more and gotten an a7II with in body image stabilization and a sensor cleaning mechanism that actually works :P .

That a6300 is turning out to be more of a dust magnet than my a6000 was :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

I bought a Sony a6000 on the advice of my brother who's been into photography for a long time. Although I haven't really gone through all the functions and possibilities, I bought the camera with the 16-50mm lens for $500 just before Christmas and then I got the 55-210 lens for $200. Total of $700.00. Had the a6300 come at a price of less than $900.00, I probably would have gone with the a6300, but that never happened and now I see it goes for almost $1200. 

Still debating whether the upgrade is worth it. Things holding me back are (supposedly) worse 1080p video (which I use more than 4K), no that big a difference in ISO performance (true?) and less sharp in lower ISO's (true?). Things appealing to me : silent shutter, better EVF, eye AF, better noise performance, faster AF, build quality.

So, what's your opinion? Did you upgrade or not? And why? Looking forward.

Thanks

Nope. Maybe to the a6500 with image stabilization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Jaf-Photo

No, the viable next step is A6500 but even that isn't worth the extra money for all users. A6300 was clearly a mistake but Sony pretends otherwise.

Edit: Oops, why did this thread come to life?