22 replies to this topic

#1 Sony Guy

Sony Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:52 AM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

I have now owned both a Sony a7 and an a7II.
 One of the very few shortcomings, as noted in practically all reviews on these cameras though, is the fact that if you want to use its LCD finder on the back, and hold the camera down at waist level, which in many cases shades the camera's eyepiece sensor heavily, the sensor within the EVF's rubber hood thinks the camera is being held to your eye and turns the LCD completely off in favor of the EVF only. Of course, there's the menu setting on the camera to set one or the other SOLELY, but this is a hassle when you need to switch back and forth frequently .
I finally discovered a simple fix to remedy this very aggravating situation using a product called Light Dims, which are littleinexpensive, stick-on pre-cot pieces of a neutral gray shading material actually made for putting over glaring, bright LED's that are overly bright and irritate you at night or in dark places.

By simply cutting a 3mm X 5mm piece of this material and applying it over the left half of the EVF sensor window, the sensor functions perfectly and the LCD remains on even in very low light, plus the EVF still switches on again automatically when the camera is held up to your eye! This is an incredibly simple fix that many Sony a7 users have wrestled with for months and have hoped and hoped that Sony would correct via a firmware update! It seems to work for all the Sony a7 models including the a7, a7R, a7II and a7S. These little gadgets are available on Amazon (http://www.amazon.co...words=lightdims) or directly from the company at: www.lightdims.com

I am in no way affiliated with the company and have no vested interest. I just discovered this from another post on a Sony a7 forum, tried it and was super impressed.

• addicted2light, rantor49, Seeky and 1 other like this

#2 Fonk

Fonk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:00 PM

I might have to try this out.  This is a frustrating item for me on my NEX6/a6000 cameras, too.  I shoot from the hip a lot when doing street photography, but always have to hold it out away from my body for the LCD to remain on.

#3 holmes4

holmes4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:15 PM

I love LightDims and have a bunch of them. If I encounter this problem (haven't yet), I'll check it out. Note that LightDims come in different "dimming" levels - you probably want the 50% kind rather than the 90% kind.

• NASA likes this

#4 Sony Guy

Sony Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:22 AM

I love LightDims and have a bunch of them. If I encounter this problem (haven't yet), I'll check it out. Note that LightDims come in different "dimming" levels - you probably want the 50% kind rather than the 90% kind.

You're right. You want the "Original Strength".LightDim%20on%20a7%20II_zpsfiagd3gt.jpg

#5 storyteller

storyteller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:53 PM

This works great! Can't tell you how thrilled I am to have waist level shooting back.

#6 addicted2light

addicted2light

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:22 PM

As soon as I read this I ordered the LIghtDims. It took me a while to receive them (shipped from the USA, I live in Italy), but today I managed finally to try this hack.

It works beautifully!!! Finally the rear lcd works as it should have from the start (I wonder: does someone at Sony actually use the cameras for a while??? BTW, the same goes with other manufacturers, Nikon among them).

I've put a LightDim on the A7r and that has been fairly straightforward; I just had to put the strip (actually I used the smallest squares, they seem to fit better) like in the picture above.

On the Nex 7, on the other hand, it took much more finesse (but in the end it worked as well). With the Nex 7 you will want to cover, as in the picture above, the bottom half of the sensor, BUT leaving a small strip along the left side uncovered. It took me several attempts, because it is a matter of fractions of a millimeter.

If you just cover the bottom half you will have a situation in which when you will be using the viewfinder it will switch back to the rear lcd as soon as your eye will move even a small bit too far back. Quite annoying if you are using any kind of eyepiece, or worse still glasses. Like I said, when you nail the position of the LIghtDim instead it will work perfectly.

Many many thanks to the OP for a really great hack!!!

www.addicted2light.com

www.facebook.com/addicted2light

“You cannot depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus” Mark Twain

#7 shodokalpha57

shodokalpha57

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:25 PM

Wow. This is a great tip. I just got an Original LightDims sheet, trimmed down one of the little squares, and placed as pictured above on my A7ii EVF sensor. 

And, BAM, the sensor is working the way I wanted it to work from the get-go. 

Problem solved!

Thank you thank you thank you.

#8 speclegacy

speclegacy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:07 PM

Is there something special about the LightDims, or would any gray transparent material work?

#9 addicted2light

addicted2light

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:13 PM

Is there something special about the LightDims, or would any gray transparent material work?

Given I live in Italy, and the LightDims were available only from the USA, I tried first various materials. None worked, because they ended up triggering the eye sensor (like I was shielding it with my face or a hand).

So my guess is that the LightDims filter some specific spectral frequency, probably IR. I don't think it has just to do with the transparency though: I tried completely transparent pieces of clear plastic and they still triggered the eye sensor.

www.addicted2light.com

#10 K2Kevin

K2Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:06 PM

Im going to try this. I remember seeing something like this months ago. Thanks for sharing! 

#11 speclegacy

speclegacy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 01:36 AM

Saw this video, and decided to try some electrical tape before buying the LightDims

It works! I taped over on the RIGHT side of the sensor, as opposed to the left with LightDims (not sure if the left side would also work). Only taped about a third of the way in, not halfway. It takes a bit longer for the EVF to come on when I put the camera to my eye, but nothing I would have noticed if it came like this from the factory.

#12 Lescatalpas

Lescatalpas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:07 PM

I also applied lightdims on the left of the sensor as shown above. Works like a dream! I tried all sorts of material before I ordered the lightdims, but nothing worked. They cost next to nothing, just €7 including postage. One sheet of lightdims can probaly fix a few hundred cameras :-)

#13 torsten3d

torsten3d

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:55 PM

I finall got my Light Dims today. Used the smallest circle and put it on the left side of the sensor.

You have to look twice to see it.

I nearly had a little tear in my eye as i tried it the first time ;)
Thats the missing piece to make the camera nearly perfect and definitely worth the few dollars.

But - i think i can understand Sonys intention to make it so sensitve:

Changing from monitor to EVF takes a little moment - not a second, but you will notice.

I think for Sony the seamless changing and user experience on that side is more important than "some" users who hold it very tight to their body.

Sony Alpha 7MII|Sony FE24-240|SonyZeiss 55 1.8|Canon NFD 50mm 1.4

---

facebook.com/stadtansichten.wernigerode

500px.com/torstenwagner

www.stadtansichten-wernigerode.de

www.wagnergraphics.de

#14 Del_Pierro

Del_Pierro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:53 PM

Thank you! This is more important than the invention of the wheel, it makes my A7R II screen finally useful.

I just signed up here to write this - I buy you a beer if we ever meet :).

#15 Guest_Peter Kelly_*

Guest_Peter Kelly_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:19 AM

Perhaps the most astonishing thing about this rather annoying niggle is that the problem exists at all!

It is very obvious and you would wonder why Sony haven't addressed it (build a sensor with the equivalent of a light dim fixed in place?).

Surely, they must have noticed, or is that too simple and naive?

#16 addicted2light

addicted2light

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:48 AM

Perhaps the most astonishing thing about this rather annoying niggle is that the problem exists at all!

It is very obvious and you would wonder why Sony haven't addressed it (build a sensor with the equivalent of a light dim fixed in place?).

Surely, they must have noticed, or is that too simple and naive?

To avoid this problem the best solution I've seen so far is the one implemented by Olympus: there is an internal switch that activates when the LCD is even a tiny bit tilted; at that point the EVF gets deactivated for good.

www.addicted2light.com

#17 Mr_A7s

Mr_A7s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:50 PM

@ op, Thank you for sharing. I'll order today :)

#18 primogel

primogel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:49 AM

I ordered Light Dims and waiting for the arrival I tried it with black electrical tape. After a few attempts I found the correct position on the right side of the sensor and IT WORKS!

#19 Mr_A7s

Mr_A7s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:27 PM

@ op, Thank you for sharing. I'll order today :)

Just want to follow up with my order. Dimlight arrived today. It works perfectly.

Again, thank you for sharing this OP.

#20 martys

martys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:55 PM

I just applied my lightdim on my A7Rii and it works great!  A whole sheet of these things cost under $10, I don't know why you would try a hack for great solution that is so inexpensive.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: a7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

New Members Welcome!

Not yet registered? Really?

Registration is free and takes only a few minutes.

After the free registration you can discuss with members from all over the world, put questions and present your images.

We are looking forward to you!

Admin Andreas und Sony Alpha Forum Team

Register now! X