The source of the A7R2 corrosion problem found?

The video below is something like a rant, with added self promotion to the extreme, repetition some more self promotion and so on. It also contains what appears to be irrefutable proof that at least the Sony A7R2, but probably by extension most of the A7 bodies, basically have what amounts to an active moisture collection mechanism. The hot-cold situation described in the video will basically make the camera suck in moisture as if it was a moisture suction device. A moisture hoover if you will. Any thoughts on this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQbN9Ymm1Wk

If this guys analysis of the body design is correct, Sony might be facing a massive re-call of these bodies, or a class action law suit.

So long that the next playstation is having 4k output, for video and games, I don't really think condensation is going to be an issue for Sony ... 

This guy is a "technical" scammer and ripe for a lawsuit from Sony.  Believe me...the LAST thing we need is another lawsuit but he repeatedly attacks products and people he does not like with completely uneducated claims, especially Sony.  He claims to have a wealth of knowledge but he will not post the jobs he held nor any proof of his technical knowledge.  Also, he rails against universities yet I don't know any fellow Electrical Engineers that achieved their learning from working on a fishing boat.  

I actually enjoy (entertainment value) his talks on some products people do not commonly see.  I also enjoy some of this humor.  But, the second he launches on Sony, or people that simply disagree with him, it becomes VERY personal for him for no reason.  His claims to magnetism are laughable, especially when he rambles how Einstein was an idiot....yes...you read that right!  Like a fish, I let him ramble on harmless stuff but when he gets just BIZARRE inventing nonsensical technical terms I reel him in but I also try to explain to his readers he is a technical fraud and do NOT listen to his ramblings in those areas.  He does not just "jump the shark" but he turns around and beats it with a club.  Below was my post to him on his August 20, Sony A7Rii absurd claims of "bad design".  I have a BSEE from Ohio State University in Analog Circuit design and Acoustics and worked 25 years for General Motors and Robert Bosch in Engineering so yes, I do know what I am talking about.  

Oh...and I have not had ONE person refute my TECHNICALLY EDUCATED position, not even one of his fanboys on this post or ANY of the other posts I call him out on.  This guy really is a 1950 Packard mechanic trying refute the technology advancements in a 2016 BMW.  Usually it is funny but sometimes you just have to stand up and shut off the flow of crap.  

----------   

PLEASE STOP!  YOU ARE SPEWING DECEPTIVE TECHNICAL TERMS!  You have NO proof if the camera was dropped in a lake, the makeup of the corrosion, nor design intent of the copper plate.  Remarkably you claim "design defects" improperly using the term moisture wicking" when is NO SUCH TERM applicable in Metallurgy!  Metal wicks away HEAT, not moisture!  "Moisture wicking" is ONLY applicable to materials that can transfer moisture such as CLOTHING like Yoga pants where moisture is wicked away from your skin.   I am not going to let such technical nonsense be used to prove your 'brilliance' when it is showing you as a technical fraud, misleading nontechnical and unknowing people online, and resulting in unfair,  financial abusive towards a credible brand.  I am an Electrical Engineer for 35 years, actually designed things, and I own a Sony RX10iii, Canon 60D, and Nikon D300 so I am NOT biased - I am simply sick of Internet frauds abusing technical terms and will continue to counter every piece of JUNK SCIENCE arrogantly tossed around like this.  

Your negative rants on external tabs show severe lack of manufacturing knowledge.  Such tab mounts are COMMON for products leading to external mounts, even when in SEVERE weather elements including engine computers under the hood of a car to assist in PC board HEAT wicking to an outer case.   Inner shields on the inside of video monitors do this often - try looking inside one.  The Sony copper used appears as secondary mounting system to ensure proper mechanical alignment of various components more than thermal, EMI, or RFI functions but you, nor I, know EXACTLY what design intent is.   OFTEN in manufacturing, such tabs are used to ensure simple alignment during automated processes of parts alignment.  YOU SIMPLY DO NOT KNOW!  The copper does not appear to encapsulate the main chip nor have any clear contact point so it does not APPEAR thermal, and unlikely EMI related.  Also, we cannot see from the photos if there is any thermal grease below the copper.  You CANNOT ensure HEAT wicking was intended unless you have applied thermal grease otherwise you have a temperature differential so this does not appear to be design intent.  You do NOT know!  Finally, you CANNOT determine electrical design intent unless you FULLY tear down this product to review all electrical connections to see if they are high, or low, current grounds.    Please go back to taking pictures and reviewing flash lights - you are ok at that.

Yeah, this guy is a proven fraud, plagiarist and liar. Don't believe anything he says.  Entertaining? Maybe.  But 100% full of bullshit. 

You forgot to add..$hitty photographer.  One look at him, and his set will tell you how lazy he is (as a photographer, and person).

If he is entertaining, it's in a train-wreck sort of way.

Watching this guy is like watching "Back to the Future" - at some point you know he is going to take one kernel of technology/fact and jump to "flux capacitor" status.  About every five videos he goes into his "Einstein was an idiot" mode rambling about magnetism and "over-unity" energy machines.  As an Electrical Engineer I truly laugh at the stuff he convinces his fanbase with but sometimes I really must do a "verbal beat down" to force him to defend his junk science, which he tries to sometime do in a convoluted mess of logic.  I just wish more people would speak up to stop when he goes "full goofball" mode.  

But yes, I admit I stop by his channel because like a lucky squirrel that finds an acorn, he has actually stumbled upon a few product finds that I liked.  I still give the goofiest of dudes on the Web credit if they find anything new/cool but I will also not allow them to claim genius status when they improperly use a stereo microphone for mono YouTube videos sitting at a card table with a video camera that cannot hold focus, aperture, or color balance -  his supposed field of expertise.  

It's just an internet video.

Hardly even worth arguing with peeps

like him. Is it worth trying to protect his

victims from misinformation ? Peeps

too dull to recognize total BS merely

by style of delivery don't benefit from

anyone's attempt to protect them. You

can deflect this particular BS away but

the net is full of it, so their doom may

be delayed by your efforts but sooner

or later .... Kuh-PLOP ! and they're in

really deeeep doodoo anywho :-)

Golem, you are partially right on this issue.  This is only the second "net-thuggery" I have taken on.  I normally ignore this junk but sometimes you see this nonsense really does hurt a brand unfairly.  Often the instigator is discovered to have other motives such as sales, distribution, media attention, personal ego, or a backlash to a refusal of unreasonable demands.  Lousy claims wind up hurting people disconnected such as sales people, distributors, even the truck drivers that used to deliver these products and there was just no reason for it.  These attacks hurt good people and sometimes we just have to stand up as decent humans to stop it.  

My personal suspicion is the referenced "defective" camera was simply dropped into a lake/sink/toilet and the owner tried to get a new camera but was refused.  I worked for Bosch for 18 years and our service center saw a stunning range of bogus claims everyday, some comical, some were outright fraud.  This originator's story played right into the format of the tatooed Sony-basher and to the uneducated might appear legit.  Unfortunately the absurd "defective" design claims are impossible to prove from his assumptions and were really an abuse of scientific claims misusing simple Engineering terminology.  I have written the originator and tattoo dude several times warning them that even big companies only put up with this carping so long and come back hard and fast.  I hate to see lawsuits but the brand defamation from abusive claims would be a fairly easy for Sony in many courts.  At a minimum this is certainly a fair case for Sony demand YouTube shut him down.  

Sometimes we (the technically educated) MUST rise up and push back against fake attacks, regardless of our personal position towards Sony, Canon, Nikon or any other brand.  My old General Motors Engineering colleagues were targeted in the 1990's fake NBC news side-saddle gas tank explosion scam.  Finally an outside company saw the technical abuse of the staged explosions and came to the rightful defense of GM without initial request - GM was initially not going to push back on NBC out of fear of being trashed every day.  They finally did push back, and won easily, but only got a lousy apology after truck sales were hurt badly and never really recovered.  This guy has to stop this and I hope others write him asking him to stop.  

(Note: I have NO affiliations with Sony, any of their sales channels, nor anyone in the consumer/camera industry - this is simply my opinion.)

I just wish more people would speak up to stop when he goes "full goofball" mode.

The problem with trying to put things straight is that he rigurously blocks account on his commenting section if his counters fail to convince.

Yup, I caught him probably a dozen times doing this to me and at first he tried to deny it.  So, I logged his deletion times, sent it to him, and warned him that if he kept doing this I would file a complaint with Youtube for unreasonable harassment of a business (Sony) which is against Youtube policy.  

Today when I post a strong technical response he just lets them in then quickly posts a strange 20 second video to (my best guess) draw attention to the newer post so people skate over my responses.   He can babble about lenses, flashes and photos and I don't care.  But I will call him out when he veers into unfounded technical claims that might hurt people.  He cornered himself now and at some point needs to grow up and stop the nonsense.  We will see. 

umm, does Sony seem to care ... troll needs food, food needs to be eaten ... Sony needs to release a 4K Play Station. Simple really.

I have never had any issues with my Alpha's...some are a few years old. I do not however count on them being weatherproof!  The guy that rants on You Tube is just a Sony hater and makes it his life's mission to dis our camera's.  Jason Lanier has shot all over the world in all sorts of weather and terrain....no issues! He has been using Sonys for a few years now like many of us. Again no issues. I'm guessing people just plainly "get water" in there cameras!

Golem...I had to chuckle....probably one of the greatest product attack scams in history.  GM never had anyone attack them like Nader so they simply did not know what to do.  When I worked at GM in the 80's I interfaced with a number of people at Pontiac who worked with Delorean and they only heaped praise on him.   Sadly, his ego was huge and when he ventured outside his expertise with things like windshield antennas, he just would not let go thus damaging his genius in other areas.   

As for the angry photog, he got a credible young Engineer siding with him but sadly, he appears very young and with little practical experience in thermodynamics or environmental studies.  I posted updates to him today.  He will learn like I had to over time but I just wish anyone with technical skills would push back on this nonsense.  Someday angry photog's motives will get exposed.  I have my own theory which is more than just emotional rants but time will tell.