90 macro @f4 vs 70-200 f4

adwb

There is so little difference in the price I am wondering if instead of the 90 macro I should get the 70-200 f4 ?

In reality I would use genuine macro very occasionally but more often use the lens for closeups of flowers and so on, so in that case I suspect the 79-200 would suffice and be more useful, I was wondering at 90 mm f4 how the 70-200 compares to the 90mm at f4 on the same subject and distance, re resolution and background blur, separation and whatnot?

The 70-200 has no possibility for closeups of flowers. Otherwise its very versatile, you get 4 lenses in one (70, 100, 135, 200), more or less.

Problem, for me, with the 90 is its size. Otherwise its a very functional lens, its the real deal.

Perhaps Zeiss will bring some kind of macro which, if a Batis, might be light weight too. At least I would wait a few months to see what gets announced. I'm waiting for a 135mm and/or a Macro from Zeiss. The Sony macro seems to be good, but Its too big for me ... even the Milvus 50/2 Macro is an interesting idea ....

• 2 weeks later...

I use the 70-200 with extension tubes or a good quality closeup filter. It is not as good as a proper macro lens but works very well for flowers. Very little additional weight to carry and not expensive. Filters are easier to put on and take off when you are out and about.

Here are some examples, handheld.

Extension tube

Extension tube

Closeup filter

Closeup filter 4 Cm flower

Closeup filter 1cm flower

Hafta agree with the idea of 70-210 plus closeup accessories.

Subjects such as flowers offer no advatage to using a "true"

macro optic. Where is the flat field ? 

Tubes will get you higher quality than dioptre lenses but do

you want pollen etc on your sensor ? Both dioptres and tubes

are worth acquiring.

It was said that the zoom includes a few different lenses, but

it includes another item as well ... if you use tripods for macro.

With a fixed FL lens you'll prolly either use a focusing rail, or

regret not having one as you jocky your tripod back and forth

a few inches. The zoom will adjust image size without asking

you to constantly relocate the tripod.  

and by chance I have a 72 mm close up Sigma lens that I bout for another long since sold lens, so I could use that for real closeups. I would just have to find out out what will be the best settings to try.

I would suggest the harder choice is between the 90mm macro and the 70-300 FE G lens.  The latter, in addition to having a longer focal range with equally good optics as the 70-200, focuses significantly closer than the 70-200, so you can gets really nice close-ups, particularly with extension tube(s).  If you need true macro or low light capability, then go with the 90 macro or the Batis 85 1.8.