Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM OSS - test shots

So basically AF of the A7RII can't keep up with the lens? So A9 it is.

But the images in AF-S look absolutely amazing. The out of focus areas look great. It seems like a very sharp lens. Damn. I need to get this thing.

So basically AF of the A7RII can't keep up with the lens? So A9 it is.

But the images in AF-S look absolutely amazing. The out of focus areas look great. It seems like a very sharp lens. Damn. I need to get this thing.

Not sure what a9 has to offer. I wish we can select Zone size S-M-L, that would help to narrow AF areas even more. 

I wonder if the A6300 with its faster auto-focus system would work better with this lens…

Haven't try A6300 yet, but I guess faster fps, DOF(crop sensor) and extra AF points will certainly improve current condition.

Guest Peter Kelly

I'd like to see the full sixe images, as it's difficult to judge from your samples, but they look very good.

I'm also curious as to your expectation of 'tack sharp' for a moving subject. You can obviously get very sharp, but I don't believe they can ever be as sharp as a stationary object.

The other thing to resolve is where any lack of sharpness comes from.

First there is the focus point and whether it is correct at the precise moment.

Then there is the motion of the subject, which may well be a significant factor when using the A7Rii. Of course, even though there is OSS it may well depend upon camera movement as to how well that works and it's almost impossible to maintain a solid position when the subject is moving; it's natural to follow, so OSS may not be ideal (indeed, that's why there are modes on these lenses!)

Finally, it's possible that the very nature of AF-C may introduce a level of softness, even when working perfectly. If a lens is tracking a subject then the focussing element will be moving. It's not unreasonable to think that such a motion will create a degree of softness. It would depend upon how that movement is implemented, but if the AF-C is to be most efficient then I can't see it stopping mid-stream.

The biq question is whether any softness of this nature is noticable, or significant, and can't be resolved in processing.

Mr_A7s, Thanks for sharing these great pictures with us. I still use my Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS with Metabones on a A7r II, but who knows, some day, when the Mirrorless Cameras are focussing snappy like a Canon 5D Mark III, I will get one of those.

As an owner of Canon 1Dx, AF speed on a7r II is neck to neck. a7s II is focus better than 5d III & 1dx in darkness :))

Thank you, but I don't see the icons, just the picture.

Here is the Icon location

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest Peter Kelly

Thanks again, but it must be my browser, or settings, as I just get the picture but no icons. When I get a chance I'll try a different method.

Thanks again, but it must be my browser, or settings, as I just get the picture but no icons. When I get a chance I'll try a different method.

Strange. Are you using a mobile browser? I also use smug mug and would like to know of any failings so I can pass them along.

Here are direct links to all the images in order:

_DSC5008.jpg

_DSC4857.jpg

_DSC4995.jpg

_DSC4859.jpg

_DSC5030.jpg

_DSC5045.jpg

_DSC5033.jpg

_DSC5025.jpg

_DSC5020.jpg

Guest Peter Kelly

Very kind of you.

I use Firefox with 'NoScript' and 'AdBlockPlus' add-ons, so they may be to blame.

Anyway, I've had a quick look and don't see too many issues, given the nature of the pictures and the very shallow DoF.

Even with the fast shutter speed, though, there is still motion blur in some. It's hard to tell the source exactly, as there seem to be different components at play.

I don't know if you had OSS enabled, but I wouldn't at that speed, and I'd rather increase the ISO, with faster still, to be certain to freeze the shots.

Early impression about this lens. AF is snappy. Great IQ under AF-S, nice and tack sharp. So far, I haven't seen any tack sharp under AF-C @ f2.8 yet, especially when subject is moving around fast.

These were shot with a7rii under AF-C @ f2.8

https://dylannguyen.smugmug.com/Events/2016-08-02-Sony-FE-70-200-f28/

Wonderful photos! :-)

One question, does the camera still continue to focus while turning the zoom ring?

With the 70-300 it's annoying that focus stops where it is while I'm slowly zooming in or out. The subject will be out of focus and you need to stop zooming to acquire focus again. The Canons works like a charm. :-(

Wonderful photos! :-)

One question, does the camera still continue to focus while turning the zoom ring?

With the 70-300 it's annoying that focus stops where it is while I'm slowly zooming in or out. The subject will be out of focus and you need to stop zooming to acquire focus again. The Canons works like a charm. :-(

Yes, in camera will cont. to focus while zooming