file system on Sony A7s mk2

Hi - does anyone know of an update on the diabolical file numbering system and camera identification on the Sony A7s mk 2?

This is a total, total pain in the butt for multi-camera video sessions. Compare this to the obvious simplicity of the Canon system - indeed, pretty much every other manufacturer - where files are consecutively numbered and each camera has a unique identifying prefix.

I moaned about this some while ago, and passed this message on to Sony.

Any news of a firmware update that may resolve this infuriating problem?

You can create folders on the memory card, 100MSDCF is the default one, but you can copy that and give it a new number, 110MSDCF. Then just select the one you want from the menus. After that, any reasonable PP software should be able to handle it with a bit of effort on your part.

Otherwise you have to keep waiting for the firmware update, last I heard was Photo Kino in September ...

Thanks for that, timde.  I have 4 cards, as I use the A7s2 to make long-form documentaries and sometimes have very busy days.

Sorry to be a bit thick, but are you suggesting I make a folder with a unique name on each of the cards; download the folders to a hard drive when they are full or a session has finished; delete the files from the folder on the card; empty the trash; then start again?

Is that it? Is it possible to delete the files but not the folder, or do I have to reinstate the folder for the next shoot?

At the moment I download the files; batch rename them; then format the card and start again. The problem with this is I am not well-organised enough to give each folder a sequential number so I don't have any chronological order.

Canon is sooooooo much simpler!

If you are on a Windows machine you could do some automatic actions when inserting a card to the card reader.

Here is the workflow that's works for me (you need a little bit of computer skills, very basic)

I use two freewares from http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html.
USB Driveletter Manager and EjectMedia.

For renamning the photos as well as movies I use another freeware, exiftool.
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

First I make sure that the SD card slot on the Lexar Cardreader always will be mapped as K:
I use the USBDLM and have these settings in the ini file.
[DriveLetters60]
;Lexar 5slot, SD card slot
DeviceId6=000000027677&1
Letter=K

[OnArrival]
Letter=K
open="U:\script\move_raw_2_import.cmd"
 First the mapping and then when a card is inserted, start a script

So here is what I do in the script (it's an easy batch script)

:: Check for images on media and copy files from cardreader to folder on harddrive
IF NOT EXIST K:\DCIM\100MSDCF\NUL GOTO MOVIE
    copy /Y "K:\DCIM\100MSDCF\*.*" "C:\import"
:: Rename all files in import folder, here just jpg and raw
    u:\script\exiftool.exe -m "-FileName<DateTimeOriginal" -d "%%Y-%%m-%%dT%%H%%M%%S%%%%-c.%%%%le" c:\import

:MOVIE
:: Check for movies an media and copy files from cardreader to folder on harddrive
IF NOT EXIST K:\PRIVATE\M4ROOT\CLIP\NUL GOTO NOPATH
    copy /Y "K:\PRIVATE\M4ROOT\CLIP\*.mp4" "C:\import\film"
:: Rename all files in import folder, here mov and mp4    
    u:\script\exiftool.exe -ext mov -ext mp4 -m "-FileName<CreateDate" -d "%%Y-%%m-%%dT%%H%%M%%S%%%%-c.%%%%le" c:\import\film

:: Eject media from cardreader, -f=force, -L= loop until success, -A=, -W= wait 1000ms before end the program
C:\USBDLM\EjectMedia K: -f -L -A -W:1000

:: Start FastRawViewer for culling
c:
"C:\Program Files\LibRaw\FastRawViewer\FastRawViewer.exe"

:: After exit of FastRawViewer copy and move files
copy /Y "C:\import\*arw" "F:\rawcopy"
move /Y "C:\import\*jpg" "C:\import\jpg"
timeout 5
exit

:NOPATH
ECHO Nothing to copy
timeout 5

Thanks for that, timde.  I have 4 cards, as I use the A7s2 to make long-form documentaries and sometimes have very busy days.

Sorry to be a bit thick, but are you suggesting I make a folder with a unique name on each of the cards; download the folders to a hard drive when they are full or a session has finished; delete the files from the folder on the card; empty the trash; then start again?

Is that it? Is it possible to delete the files but not the folder, or do I have to reinstate the folder for the next shoot?

At the moment I download the files; batch rename them; then format the card and start again. The problem with this is I am not well-organised enough to give each folder a sequential number so I don't have any chronological order.

Canon is sooooooo much simpler!

It is in the menu, last pages somewhere, create folder and select folder. RTM.

It is limited, but sufficient if you really need such a solution. Obviously the Canon way is better ...

If you are on a Windows machine you could do some automatic actions when inserting a card to the card reader.

Here is the workflow that's works for me (you need a little bit of computer skills, very basic)

I use two freewares from http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html.

USB Driveletter Manager and EjectMedia.

For renamning the photos as well as movies I use another freeware, exiftool.

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

First I make sure that the SD card slot on the Lexar Cardreader always will be mapped as K:

I use the USBDLM and have these settings in the ini file.

[DriveLetters60]

;Lexar 5slot, SD card slot

DeviceId6=000000027677&1

Letter=K

[OnArrival]

Letter=K

open="U:\script\move_raw_2_import.cmd"

First the mapping and then when a card is inserted, start a script

So here is what I do in the script (it's an easy batch script)

:: Check for images on media and copy files from cardreader to folder on harddrive

IF NOT EXIST K:\DCIM\100MSDCF\NUL GOTO MOVIE

copy /Y "K:\DCIM\100MSDCF\*.*" "C:\import"

:: Rename all files in import folder, here just jpg and raw

u:\script\exiftool.exe -m "-FileName<DateTimeOriginal" -d "%%Y-%%m-%%dT%%H%%M%%S%%%%-c.%%%%le" c:\import

:MOVIE

:: Check for movies an media and copy files from cardreader to folder on harddrive

IF NOT EXIST K:\PRIVATE\M4ROOT\CLIP\NUL GOTO NOPATH

copy /Y "K:\PRIVATE\M4ROOT\CLIP\*.mp4" "C:\import\film"

:: Rename all files in import folder, here mov and mp4    

u:\script\exiftool.exe -ext mov -ext mp4 -m "-FileName<CreateDate" -d "%%Y-%%m-%%dT%%H%%M%%S%%%%-c.%%%%le" c:\import\film

:: Eject media from cardreader, -f=force, -L= loop until success, -A=, -W= wait 1000ms before end the program

C:\USBDLM\EjectMedia K: -f -L -A -W:1000

:: Start FastRawViewer for culling

c:

"C:\Program Files\LibRaw\FastRawViewer\FastRawViewer.exe"

:: After exit of FastRawViewer copy and move files

copy /Y "C:\import\*arw" "F:\rawcopy"

move /Y "C:\import\*jpg" "C:\import\jpg"

timeout 5

exit

:NOPATH

ECHO Nothing to copy

timeout 5

Old swede, thanks for your detailed reply.

Sadly, I'm on Mac - I should have mentioned this!