A7II, Rubberized skin coming off near card slot.

Hi all,

The rubberized grip of my 10 months old A7II is starting to come off. Nothing catastrophic but quite annoying.

Its in the lower right corner at the back, in between C4 button and the card door around the area where the writing activity light is. 

I tried to "fix" it but it isnt as simple as click it back in. Not sure how it was mounted from the beginning because i dont really see no trace of glue etc.

Anyone with experience of this, and even better a suggestion on how to fix it without to much drama.

I really dont want to go for superglue until i really have to...

Cheers

Suras

Hi,

I had the same problem with my A7S. At first I fixed it using a double-sided tape, but that didn't last long. I'm guessing the area is too small for the adhesive to bond properly or I might have used a generic one; perhaps one of those 3M double-sided tapes might do a better job. In the end I sent it back to Sony to replace the rear cover/panel. It cost me about USD40 incl. cleaning and service charges. I'm not in US or EU so the price might be different in your country.

Hope that helps 

Rhys

I have exactly the same problem with my A7 II. I temporarily held it in place with black electrical tape but it has to be a small piece due to the battery and SD card doors. That didn't last long. So I Super Glued it and two things happened. It pulled away again, and worse, the SD card door wouldn't open. And I was careful with the glue. I pried the door open but that scared me. I won't send it back to Sony because they are way too slow in turning around cameras. I hope someone on this thread has figured out a solution beyond cutting off that piece. 

Had the same problem went to the hardware store and looked at glues and came home with    DAP  Rapid Fuse   .85 oz for less then 6$ US$ said it "Bonds Virtually everything"  it is like VERY thick super glue and clear. 

I opened the card door to make sure I did not glue it closed that would be a bad thing...  cleaned the rubber and the plastic under it with eclipse and using a tooth pick I smeared some of the glue on the rubber side then pressed it down and held it for a minute.   It seemed stuck but I left it sit for a few hours. I also glued a spot on the card door where the rubber cover was coming off.

So far it seems to be working very well I pulled on it hard and it did not come off again.   only time will tell but I have a good feeling about it. 

One thing that I did have a spot of trouble with was it appears that once the rubber was glued down the rubber had stretched and was sticking over the card slot door opening.  Now the door would not close I had to trim a very small amount of the rubber off around the door opening then the door worked fine again.   

• 2 weeks later...

I had this happen to my A7ii after about 7 months of regular use. Glueing will be a short term answer that will not address sony's design flaw- having a tiny sliver of rubber glued to an area prone to wear. Glue will fail. Much like the original eye cup, the rubber on the a7ii is not capable of handling modest wear and tear. My solution was to by the cheapest L bracket available and remove the virticle portion. The bottom bracket suggly holds the loose rubber flap in place and protects the camera from additional wear. A half case should work as well but at more cost, I got my bracket for under $10 with shipping. I always had an arca plate attached before so the fuller coverage of the bracket wasn't a big deal for me.