Sony 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 G SSM Lens (SAL70300G) on A7ii

I'm seriously resisting purchasing the FE 70300 G due to budget constraints.

One alternative is to try the SAL70300G for the time being. If anyone has experience using this lens via LA-EA3 on an A7mk2 or A6300 please share your experience and a few sample shots.

Thanks in advance.

Save a bit longer and go for the fe lens! It's a marvel. Here is a (heavy) crop made with the a7m2 and this lens:  https://flic.kr/p/J5kiGf    (f/10, 1/40, iso 100, from tripod.)

Thanks Lescatalpas! Fantastic shot! Sold! I'll sell my FE 70-200 f/4 and that will cover the cost of the FE 70-300. For me, there's no need to have both.

I finally just gave up on the whole adapter thing.   I wanted to adapt my Nikon long zoom to avoid having to buy the Sony 70-300 G, but it just would not autofocus.   I am pondering the Sony, now.   Everything I've read suggests it is worth the money.

I finally just gave up on the whole adapter thing.   I wanted to adapt my Nikon long zoom to avoid having to buy the Sony 70-300 G, but it just would not autofocus.   I am pondering the Sony, now.   Everything I've read suggests it is worth the money.

I have tried adapters, as I come from Pentax and had all this great glass.  Well, after 7-8 months, all my adapter glass is sold, apart from a very good sigma 105  macro lens, as macro is mainly manual anyway.  Still wondering if I should buy the 90mm macro fe lens, but available comparisons are not in favor of the sony macro lens. Anybody experience with this 90mm fe?  Worth the 1200 bucks?

I have tried adapters, as I come from Pentax and had all this great glass.  Well, after 7-8 months, all my adapter glass is sold, apart from a very good sigma 105  macro lens, as macro is mainly manual anyway.  Still wondering if I should buy the 90mm macro fe lens, but available comparisons are not in favor of the sony macro lens. Anybody experience with this 90mm fe?  Worth the 1200 bucks?

I have it and like it a lot. Yes, manual focus is generally ok for macro but having AF doesn't hurt! I like this lens for portraits at f/2.8 as well. The only downside is that the bokeh is not that great but this is true of many (most?) macro lenses. You can find the FE 90 macro used for less than US $900. It's funny that you came from Pentax to Sony and now I'm considering the reverse. I'm all Sony because of their Minolta roots but I'm eyeing Pentax because of the reasonably-priced weather-sealed body/lens combos. I'll probably try the new K-70 and one lens while holding onto my A6300 and A7mk2, then decide which of the two Sony bodies to keep.

I have it and like it a lot. Yes, manual focus is generally ok for macro but having AF doesn't hurt! I like this lens for portraits at f/2.8 as well. The only downside is that the bokeh is not that great but this is true of many (most?) macro lenses. You can find the FE 90 macro used for less than US $900. It's funny that you came from Pentax to Sony and now I'm considering the reverse. I'm all Sony because of their Minolta roots but I'm eyeing Pentax because of the reasonably-priced weather-sealed body/lens combos. I'll probably try the new K-70 and one lens while holding onto my A6300 and A7mk2, then decide which of the two Sony bodies to keep.

Thanks for your reply. I switched from Pentax because of mirror problems. My k5, which was an excellent camera as far as iq is concerned, had various mirror problems and at the time no full frame alternative. Hence the switch to Sony A7II. No mirror=no mirror problems. Noise control is far better in Pentax though. With my Sony I try to avoid shooting above 160iso because of noise.

Thanks for your reply. I switched from Pentax because of mirror problems. My k5, which was an excellent camera as far as iq is concerned, had various mirror problems and at the time no full frame alternative. Hence the switch to Sony A7II. No mirror=no mirror problems. Noise control is far better in Pentax though. With my Sony I try to avoid shooting above 160iso because of noise.

I switched from Nikon to Sony to take advantage of the mirror-less options.   No regrets, so far.   The noise on my A7Rii at high ISO is a pain, but I mainly shoot in good light or with strobes.   I can't figure out how Sony got such a big jump on Nikon and all the others in the mirror-less market.   It's almost like they (Nikon) thinks mirror-less is just a fad and will fade.   I think it's here to stay.  I love the silent shooting mode on the A7Rii, especially in crowds at events and just shooting on the street.   

I have the Nikon 105 f2.8 and it's a great lens, but I rarely use it.   Macro was one of those fads I thought I would love, but found myself tired of bugs and spiders, after awhile.   Thought I would use it for portraits, but now that I'm using Sony, I just put my 24-70 fe G on my A7Rii and shoot at 70.   If you really love macro, you might consider the Sony.

I have the Sony FE 90mm macro and love it.  Very sharp (DXO Mark has it the sharpest Sony lens out there).

Do you use the autofocus for macro work, or rather, is the autofocus fast enough at close range, say 30cm?  Or do you use the lens in manual mode for close range macro work?  

• 2 weeks later...

The new FE 70-300 mm G OSS is fantastic. I use it just during my vacation in swiss.The shot shows the top of the Piz Bernina ( 4.049 m) - focal lenght at 450 mm hand held with the A6300.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I had the 70-300 oss for a week... mine just wasn't sharp wide open. At f8 it was sharp.. but not exceptional. I decided to try the 70-200 f4 instead. I was surprised, it's sharper wide open and at f8. It also renders color and bokeh much nicer. Personally I don't think 70-300 is a great lense. Seems compromised to me. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Guys, I had the 70-300 oss for a week... mine just wasn't sharp wide open. At f8 it was sharp.. but not exceptional. I decided to try the 70-200 f4 instead. I was surprised, it's sharper wide open and at f8. It also renders color and bokeh much nicer. Personally I don't think 70-300 is a great lense. Seems compromised to me. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Good to know.   Thanks for the input.   My wife and I got the 70-300, mostly for travel and it's on her A7R most of the time.   I was thinking about the 70-200 f4, since I would like a long zoom of my own and cannot afford the f2.8 at $2500.   Wondering what you think about the weight and bulk.   The only thing I didn't like about the 70-300 was the size of that lens at 300.   With the hood, it's really long.