Sony Alpha FW updates?

Steve C

As with the 1.10 update I'm not able to update my a7S because the camera can't be found by the updater software, which apparently is a very common problem on a Mac.

Does anybody have any tips how to fix this?

Would be nice if Sony allowed firmware updates from the SD card with the a7 series (like Nikon does), really don't understand why I have to install software to do this.

I've updated my A7S from the link on SAR: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-releases-firmware-update-for-a7rs-and-a6000-cameras/

Worked fine on OS X Yosemite (as did the recent lens firmware updates).

It also sorted out the slow-start (8 seconds) issue I had, possibly due to ordering the camera from HK. Now it starts up in 2 second, or 3-4 if the battery was replaced.

Didn't seem to make any difference when using the FE 28/F2 (which is what it said in the notes), but I'm very happy with the startup time now!

Check the files.  The distortion is better corrected now. :)

You mean the JPGs I assume? I did a quick before/after and couldn't seem much in it, but it was dark and I didn't have much around. I think I'll set it on RAW+jpg and have a wonder around this afternoon.

A couple of weeks ago we purchased the Sony A7II and joined the FF group (been and are using the great Olympus EM-1 too) so have been familiar with updating firmware with Olympus which was easy. This morning I updated our new A7II to version 1.20. I had to quit shortly into the update but apparently that is common because the instructions explain how to "retry". I did and all worked perfectly. The download was around 15 minutes and after finishing the download the camera immediately restarted and within seconds the screen on the camera reappeared which then allows one to unhook the camera from the computer. I recommend to print the instructions and read them carefully first and follow it precisely. Actually the process was quite easy. I am using the new Mac Pro (2013 model) with the latest Yosemite version. I then checked the camera and the new version was successively installed.

After download had finished I waitd for the screen to come back on....nothing happened. After 10 minutes waiting I clicked 'Finish' and 'Disconnect' and removed the lead, turned the camera off.

I re-started the camera and checked the version and it had updated. No idea what or if anything went wrong but all would appear to be fine.

I only use M/F lenses on this so I've really no idea what improvements are actually real here. Nonetheless, I've got the latest version FWIW. ^_^

On the sony site, it says that the update ....

" Provides support for the SEL70200G lens:
  - Supports the "Fast Hybrid AF" function and future Fast Hybrid AF compatible E mount lenses
  - Adds the "Focus hold button" function
"

Does anybody know, how this "Fast Hybrid AF" function now newly manifests itself (how did it work before ?) when one is using the lens and in which way the "Focus hold button" is now integrated in the camera software ?

Thanks but no luck, my MBA and a7S seem not to be able to find each other...

Use a PC. Or, when you get off into a niche you need to be prepared to deal with problems when trying to run mainstream technology.

Use a PC. Or, when you get off into a niche you need to be prepared to deal with problems when trying to run mainstream technology.

You apparently haven't travelled with fellow photographers much, PC is the niche platform here, not the Mac.

But thank you for a very contributing post...

Guest PenGun

From a command terminal 'lsusb' should at least show you what's hooked up and what ports there are.

Whatever, but if you want to get your firmware updated quickly and without problems, you'll take my advice. If however, what you really want to do is bitch about your proprietary environment that isn't working, and complain that Sony doesn't do things the way Nikon does, then have at it.

Guest PenGun

So you cannot get files from the camera over USB?

You mean the JPGs I assume? I did a quick before/after and couldn't seem much in it, but it was dark and I didn't have much around. I think I'll set it on RAW+jpg and have a wonder around this afternoon.

You are correct.  Through EVF they look corrected but the files still have the barrel distortion.  Luckily, it is a simple barrel and no mustache (wavy).

Yes, start up times are faster with the A7s and the A7.

So you cannot get files from the camera over USB?

Nope, never had the need because my MBA has a built in SD reader but I think this is indeed the root cause of the issue.

The error message is even mentioned in the Sony instructions for both PC and Mac and their solution is to just keep trying.

I've tried different cables and USB ports, reset the camera, rebooted the Mac (which I rarely do), used Sony driver updater, run the firmware updater in 32 bits with other apps down (tip Brian Smith), etc, etc

Really is time to try another computer. That's diagnostic, got nothing to do with platform, although changing that too would remove that as a variable. Gotta start by figuring out which end the problem is on, camera or computer. You've hit most of the things that would be in between like cables, ports, etc. FWIW, in camera USB settings connection=auto and LUN=Multi work with my camera. Sony suggests USB LUN = single if you have connection problems. Sony also says use ONLY the supplied USB cable, update not guaranteed with any other cable. not been a problem for me, but...

also FWIW...http://briansmith.com/sony-releases-firmware-update-1-10-for-sony-a7ii/    It's OS, Apple broke something in 10.10
January 14, 2015

There is a work around for Yosemite users posted on the Sony UK site that involves downloading a kernal patch first – then the update will run on 10.10. I’m told that works great but cannot test it since I aleady updated all my cameras with OS 10.9

liz neumann
February 16, 2015

i ended up phoning sony alpha for help, and helper had me download this driver (DL100_1411a.dmg) and not use my model number for my markII. who would ever know that? she told me to share this information with you.
after about 15 hours trying to figure out what was wrong, the wifi download finally works.

As with the 1.10 update I'm not able to update my a7S because the camera can't be found by the updater software, which apparently is a very common problem on a Mac.

Does anybody have any tips how to fix this?

Would be nice if Sony allowed firmware updates from the SD card with the a7 series (like Nikon does), really don't understand why I have to install software to do this.

On the A7r there is this menu voice: "USB LUN Setting" ("tools" menu, the last one, 4th page)

This, and I quote, "Enhances compatibility by limiting the functions of USB connection. Set to [Multi] in normal conditions and to [single] only when the connection between the camera and a computer or AV component cannot be established"

Give it a try, maybe it is something USB related.

UPDATE

Sorry! I didn't see Lefty already posted about this. BTW, the kernel patch for Yosemite works perfectly, just be sure to run it FROM INSIDE the dmg image. I tried dragging the app onto the desktop, but anywhere not in the dmg image it refuses to start (same thing happens with the firmware update app)

Good news, it was neither the camera nor the Mac, turned out the culprits where the two USB cables I've tried, a third and fourth cable did work so both the a7S as well as the 35/2.8 firmware has been updated. What are the odds of me using the same cables as with the 1.10 upgrade with some many micro USB cables lying around, including a few provided by Sony. 

The funny thing is that the cables which didn't work are the two cables that actually work best for charging the a7S, with those I can charge the a7S at 1.45A with a 2.4A / 12W iPad charger instead of the default 0.5A when the camera can't communicate with the USB charger for the desired amount of power.

Two other cables that do work with the Mac only provide the default 0.5A with the same 2.4A iPad charger, this makes no sense at all to me as it should be the other way around as the two middle data pins used for data communication with a computer are also used to communicate with the USB charger to get the desired amount of power.

I'll dig deeper into the cable thing but for now a BIG thanks for all those whom tried to help, this is what a forum like this is all about  :D