Sony FE 28/2

Vivek

Thanks! :)

It is my first FE lens.  I have tried the 35/2.8 (briefly), bought and returned the 24-70 f/4 zoom.  Did not have much interest in the 55/1.8.

Manual focus is the same as with all fly-by wire lenses.  Although it is ~1.5cm longer than I would like, the focus ring is easily accessed.

This one is manually focused (A7s) at f2:

16263963144_ef37d28492_o.jpgUntitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Thanks for the info.

BTW, in your pictures I'm seeing a much nicer rendering of oof areas than in the "official" examples. My guess is that at "normal" focusing distances the lens performs really well in this regards, while exhibit poor bokeh if used at ultra-close distance.

From the first samples released I thought it wasn't a lens for me, but you changed my mind. I guess I'm about to order one to try it myself   :D

Hi, Thanks again! :)

The bokeh is very nice at closer distances.  Even with the AF extension rings there are no vignette problems.

Here is a bathroom sink snap with a 10mm ring (this one is a ~$25 Chinese version though I do have a set of Kenko rings from my NEX days- they perform exactly the same!).

16861205636_299b174717_o.jpgUntitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

A7s, FE 28/2, f/2, 10mm extension.

Apologies for not getting the focus (of the droplet).  But this should give an idea, I hope.

[My personal opinion:  Avoid getting influenced by those Sony testers.]

It has a Zeiss-ish look, doesn't it?

I have no clue what that means!

Last time I checked, my Olympus pen F 60/1.5 was made by Olympus, the Color Yashinon 40/1.7 by Yashica, the Tokina 90/2.5 by Tokina. :lol:

I checked the 28/2 lens thoroughly and do not see a blue label with Zeiss on it.  It does not come with a pouch (just a plastic bag) and is labelled Sony and with a fair price to the buyer as well. :)

I have no clue what that means!

Last time I checked, my Olympus pen F 60/1.5 was made by Olympus, the Color Yashinon 40/1.7 by Yashica, the Tokina 90/2.5 by Tokina. :lol:

I checked the 28/2 lens thoroughly and do not see a blue label with Zeiss on it.  It does not come with a pouch (just a plastic bag) and is labelled Sony and with a fair price to the buyer as well. :)

I didn't mean that it is a Zeiss lens, I meant that the rendering vaguely reminds me of Zeiss lenses :)

Agree with all of the above; I've had the 28mm f/2 for a few days now and at close and mid ranges the bokeh from this lens is really smooth.  When of the 3 new FE prime lenses were announced, I was least excited about this one.  But now it appears this lens might turn out to be the hidden gem of the bunch!

Nice little compact lens that produces amazing result for its size and cost :) Sharpness does drop a little at the edges with converter and the combo has fair amount of distortion. Nevertheless the center of frame is fantastic and colours are faithfully reproduced, making this relatively inexpensive lens+converter a real winner.

Find more images from the lens + its ultrawide/fisheye adapter in this flickr page

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I like the lens (got it last week), but I think for my usage I am better off with the 16-35mm. For landscape type shots (at narrower aperture) the 16-35 is more flexible and wider.

I was going to sell the FE 35mm, but I'll keep that for social & street shots.

Therefore, if you are in the UK and would like the FE 28mm or the 21mm converter, they are up on eBay until Sunday.