Photogoraphy Insurance

AndyWear

Package Choice (Hill and Usher) and Tom C. Pickard (Great American) are the two I've researched, and TCP is slightly cheaper for a decent amount more coverage. Most people I know who do this as a business now have Package Choice, but everyone's needs are different and you need to find out what your particular situation requires. If you're simply a regular joe who does this as a hobby, your home owners insurance or auto insurance can cover it fairly cheaply (1-2%). If you do it professionally, you not only need insurance on gear, but also liability insurance, which is where TCP and Package Choice come in. For approximately 10k worth of gear insurance and a barebones 1m general liability policy, you're looking at ~500 USD, depending on your local laws, taxes, etc.

Here in Scotland most house contents insurance policies will cover up to a set limit (usually £2000) for loss of or damage to contents while out of the house. I found that extending that limit to cover my kit was a lot less expensive than taking out dedicated photographic cover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you guys.

I'm not a full time photographer but I do make some money from it on the weekends.  Last year I had 6-10k worth of stuff and they all got  stolen when I was mugged.  I now just bought some of the stuff back and I don't want it to happen again so that's why I'm looking into it.   I don't really own a home, but maybe I will look into car insurance.  Thats very helpful to know. Thanks again. :)

Hello All, here in the USA State Farm is the best value for camera EQ, for a non Pro that is nothing online with your name (that's what I was told) is $1.90 per $100, and as a Pro I think it was $2.50 per $100. Since I am not a working Pro I don't recall the exact cost and this insurance covers stolen and drop insurance but but not everyday wear and tear on the photo EQ.

So if you are in the USA it's worth looking into, also in the USA an a working Pro the PPA  Professional Photographers Association has a good insurance program.

Christopher

Hello All, here in the USA State Farm is the best value for camera EQ, for a non Pro that is nothing online with your name (that's what I was told) is $1.90 per $100, and as a Pro I think it was $2.50 per $100. Since I am not a working Pro I don't recall the exact cost and this insurance covers stolen and drop insurance but but not everyday wear and tear on the photo EQ.

So if you are in the USA it's worth looking into, also in the USA an a working Pro the PPA  Professional Photographers Association has a good insurance program.

Christopher

I actually contacted State Farm, and though their prices do seem reasonable for business insurance once you haggle them down, the deductible is very high. For 10k worth of gear with a 1m liability in the state of Texas, they quoted me ~450 USD with a 1000 USD equipment insurance deductible, which was unacceptable.

For those that don't own a house, there's also a rider you can attach to your renter's insurance, however most riders exclude you entirely if you make any money at all. If you make any sort of profit, you need business equipment insurance.

• 2 weeks later...

You have to take into account that the chances for damage and fraud are VERY high and most claims will result in total replacement, unlike with most automobile cases. When you are covering just about the same cost of an automobile at 20k plus for professional equipment, you can see how they charge us an arm and a leg.

I use Hiscox, and they covered all my equipment, my studio, and liability insurance all in one for about 120 or so per month. I'm based in SF area. You can check them out as they have dedicated photography coverage and good rates. Absolutely a great rate for me considering all of the above.

• 1 month later...

Package Choice (Hill and Usher) and Tom C. Pickard (Great American) are the two I've researched, and TCP is slightly cheaper for a decent amount more coverage. Most people I know who do this as a business now have Package Choice, but everyone's needs are different and you need to find out what your particular situation requires. If you're simply a regular joe who does this as a hobby, your home owners insurance or auto insurance can cover it fairly cheaply (1-2%). If you do it professionally, you not only need insurance on gear, but also liability insurance, which is where TCP and Package Choice come in. For approximately 10k worth of gear insurance and a barebones 1m general liability policy, you're looking at ~500 USD, depending on your local laws, taxes, etc.

I have insurance with TCP zero problems but also zero claims