Sony AR7II - viewer goes blank during continuous shooting

I recently got an AR7II and a 24-240 OSS lense.  I was trying to shoot a bike race in continuous (slow) mode but as the subject went by and the camera was firing off shots, the view finder was blank and I was not able to track the subject.  I was shooting autofocus continuous, ISO 100, shutter priority 1/250.  Would this be because the camera can't write to the card fast enough or is this normal that I only see the first and last shots in a continuous shoot setting?

Thanks in advance

Guest Peter Kelly

You should see more than just the first and last. I confess to not using the 'slow' continuous so just tried it and thought it hideous, although I did see every frame.

There is a possibility it's card related; either it's a lower spec card than ideal, or even faulty. I'd look into its rating and possibly run a card checking program. Any doubts and replace it, as they are very cheap these days.

With that said, there is a useful exercise that all photographers should practice which goes some way to adressing blackout issues: that is keeping both eyes open. When you get the hang of it you learn to superimpose and so can still follow the action when 'blind'. It's not perfect and trickier with long lenses (50mm is a cinch!), but it is a very useful skill.

Thanks Peter.  I thought maybe card related too and I ordered a 200mb/sec card from Sony.  I am also shooting RAW+JPEG and I don't know why I had that selected so I dropped the JPEG and am only shooting RAW.

I will try both eyes open, makes sense.