a7sii Ronin-M Monitors

I'm planning on buying a Ronin-M this week, and I'll need a monitor that I can control a7sii settings through and trigger recording from.

I've never used a monitor so I don't know which, if any, allow camera control (aperture, shutter, ISO & more ideally), and if there's any tablets I can use to keep costs down?

Are there any apps for a tablet, preferably usb connections, that allow some control over video shooting? I've just been playing with PlayMemories but don't see any shutter/aperture settings.

I've been looking around online at some monitors, but it would be great if anyone could break down some of their set-ups for me so I can see some tried & tested options.

Thanks!

I don't think such a monitor exists.

Start/stop recording is the norm (I use a Shogun monitor/recorder with an A7S).

I'm not sure why you would want to change aperture, shutter & iso when on your Ronin.

Aperture - will change depth of field mid-shot - might look a bit odd? (Although I think the most recent firmware on the FSx will change aperture and auto VND at the same time to permit this).

Shutter - best left at 180 degrees, any change will have bizarre effects on motion blur?

Iso - will change noise and overal image quality mid-shot.

You might want a variable ND to control exposure but, again, no monitor would allow control of that. Why not use the Auto settings of the A7Sii (I'm not familiar with Auto for video so can't offer useful info!)

In terms of a monitor, have at look at smallHD, Blackmagic videoassist or Atomos (+/- recorder). There are numerous cheaper "ebay" type options too - there was a recent post here about compatability issues with hdmi connections which would be worth checking.

For interest, what type of shot are you planning that requires this? Can't it be split so you make manual changes across the edit?

Thanks for replying.

Re: changing settings - I shoot about 95% of my stuff on a Glidecam, and I am used to slinging it under my arm while dialling in settings, mainly ISO & f stop, before I hit record. I was hoping there would be something that would help me avoid fiddling with the camera whilst having a Ronin held high in one hand, whilst the other hand fights to find the switches once the camera is mounted.

Sony's PlayMemories on my iPhone only allowed EV adjustments, but I just updated the a7sII's firmware and also updated the remote control app on the camera. Now I have shutter, aperture, ISO settings all on video mode!

There are still a few features missing that would be useful (focus peaking, focus zoom, levels etc), but I can start shooting on my Ronin and just use my iPhone or buy an iPad until I have decided whether to buy a 'proper' monitor.

Does anyone know if it is possible to connect an a7sII via USB to an Android tablet running PlayMemories?