Which flashgun for A7II

Sorry but it is rather a basic question but somebody here will have the answer at their fingertips. I need a flashgun I can use on the camera. It must provide TTL, have an fully articulated head and I must be able to dial in EV adjustments quickly and easily. I don't really care about cost. I mainly use flash as on-camera fill light dialled down by a couple of stops.The A7II is a new camera to me and I am coming from a Nikon camp, where I use a couple of Nikon SB 700s when needed. Thanks for your help

With similar performance to SB 700, I recommend the Sony HVL-F60M External Flash.

It is fully compatible with the A7 series and I always choose original accessories as long as they perform well. 

I own two units and they work as any other flash that I have ever used.

Good to note that one of my flashes came free with a vertical grip when I bought an A99, a kind of offer they run quite often. I hope there will be something alike soon.

Guest Peter Kelly

I second using a Nissin, but find the i40 to be perfectly suited in terms of balance. It's also very quick to use with a simple double dial system on the back.

Despite the small size it's pretty powerful and serves most circumstances very well. They do an i60 now, which is a similar form, although slightly bigger and more powerful.

The Di700A is excellent too, and very versatile with the Air commander (Nissin have a new system to add radio connection to other flashes), but I think it's a little too large.

Personally, though, I wouldn't get the HVL-F60M for several reasons. While it is a superb unit, it is also pretty large and heavy. This leaves the foot as a weak spot and despite my being careful I needed 3 replacements for the 2 I had.

In addition, it's not so quick to change settings (not much of a problem, but not as easy as it should be) and very unintuitive for wireless. Also, if you ask a lot of it then it will overheat (although that goes for many guns).

Worst of all, it's a ridiculous price. You can get 2 Nissin guns for the same money; if you go down the Di700Air path you can have a whole 2 flash radio wireless system for under the price!

I currently use 4 di700a as off camera using the air 1 commander, and a single i40 as on camera. The di700a option isn't perfect though, as it's impossible to manually control the zoom without the commander unit, and it cannot function as a transmitter. If you're at an event where you have stationary units around the room and you still need a flash on camera, you're going to be double fisting with a camera in one hand and a flash in the other. The Nissin receiver units for Sony ship very soon, so once that arrives I can comment on that as well.

I have three flashes and love them all:

• HVL 20 for light duty (fill flash, travel).  At US $150 a real value if you don't need the reach.
  • HVL 43 my favorite all around.  Bought it used and have not been disappointed.  I dropped it once from two meters with no issues.  
  • Phoenix Mitros + for off-camera use with triggers.  At US $400 new it is a great value.  And it has a built-in off-camera trigger that can work by itself as a trigger on camera or off.  

I don't see the value in the HVL 60.  It has a little higher guide number, but not enough to warrant the price tag.  And I have heard it overheats easily.  

If you intend to use them with un-chipped adapted lenses, the only ones that work in TTL up to now that i have tried are the Sony's.

I have tried Phottix Mitros/Odin and Meike.

Still awaiting news from other users on the Nissin's and Godox.

If you intend to use them with un-chipped adapted lenses, the only ones that work in TTL up to now that i have tried are the Sony's.

I have tried Phottix Mitros/Odin and Meike.

Still awaiting news from other users on the Nissin's and Godox.

Godox X1 system works well with Sony A7R II but I haven't been able to get TTL to work with adapted lenses without electrical contact. The strobe fires in TTL mode with these lenses but the exposure is wrong. FEC does continue to work in this mode so you can use it to dial in up to +/-5EV in the body to compensate. Using a native lens with TTL works fine.

HSS works fine with all my native and adapted lenses.

Godox X1 system works well with Sony A7R II but I haven't been able to get TTL to work with adapted lenses without electrical contact. The strobe fires in TTL mode with these lenses but the exposure is wrong. FEC does continue to work in this mode so you can use it to dial in up to +/-5EV in the body to compensate. Using a native lens with TTL works fine.

HSS works fine with all my native and adapted lenses.

HSS does work with adapted lenses ?

• 2 weeks later...

For my A7II I took the Nissin i40. The reason is very simple: It´s small, powerfull and easy to handle.

One interesting point: Ability of HSS (High Speed Synchribisation) 1/8000 sec.

If you take a Sony flash you get HSS ONLY in straight horizontal position. If you turn the head = bad luck!

Not with the Nissin, you can turn the head where you want.

If you think that it`s not powerful enough wait until August and take the Nissin i60, it takes 1 cm more of your space and you have to spend

more or less 80$ more.

For my A7II I took the Nissin i40. The reason is very simple: It´s small, powerfull and easy to handle.

One interesting point: Ability of HSS (High Speed Synchribisation) 1/8000 sec.

If you take a Sony flash you get HSS ONLY in straight horizontal position. If you turn the head = bad luck!

Not with the Nissin, you can turn the head where you want.

If you think that it`s not powerful enough wait until August and take the Nissin i60, it takes 1 cm more of your space and you have to spend

more or less 80$ more.

The difference with the Nissin i60a is that it's slightly bigger, much more powerful (in line with the big boys), larger zoom range (200mm), and communicates with the Nissin Air wireless system with a built in receiver. I would love to have one but they're going to be much more expensive than another di700. The only scenario where I would buy one at release is if it also had a transmitter and was tested to not overheat super quickly; sadly I don't think any of those two statements will be true.

• 1 year later...

Started with Sony (20 and 43 ... the 60 has bad reputation for overheating) went to Nissin i40 (really easy to adjust on camera, but funny shape/size makes it a pain to fit in my bag, and does not play will wirelessly with anything.

Now gone for a full set of Godox and adapters for my Canon flashes, and all works together in TTL!

Much cheaper and seamless, although I do like the manual wheels on the i40 if you just want one medium flash

I second using a Nissin, but find the i40 to be perfectly suited in terms of balance. It's also very quick to use with a simple double dial system on the back.

Despite the small size it's pretty powerful and serves most circumstances very well. They do an i60 now, which is a similar form, although slightly bigger and more powerful.

The Di700A is excellent too, and very versatile with the Air commander (Nissin have a new system to add radio connection to other flashes), but I think it's a little too large.

Personally, though, I wouldn't get the HVL-F60M for several reasons. While it is a superb unit, it is also pretty large and heavy. This leaves the foot as a weak spot and despite my being careful I needed 3 replacements for the 2 I had.

In addition, it's not so quick to change settings (not much of a problem, but not as easy as it should be) and very unintuitive for wireless. Also, if you ask a lot of it then it will overheat (although that goes for many guns).

Worst of all, it's a ridiculous price. You can get 2 Nissin guns for the same money; if you go down the Di700Air path you can have a whole 2 flash radio wireless system for under the price!

Totally agree the i40 is enough in most situations unless you're shooting through umbrellas for large groups. I got the Air commander transmitter and receiver so can move the flash around wireless which has been helpful in a wide variety of indoor and outdoor situations including HSS. ae8d0159d5b151e3b8dd371de72087b0.jpg

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk