Videoing using an A7Sii and a Ronin M

Hi all,

I'm about to purchase a Ronin M for use with my A7Sii. The main use will be internal videos of properties, but I will also have to do some videos of groups of people having a party indoors + BarBQ outdoors. Up to now I've always used the Sony on manual focus using tripods and sliders. I've been shutting the aperture down to something like f11/f16, where most of what I'm videoing will hopefully be in focus. Will the same approach work with the Ronin M? I can't afford the autofocus attachment for the Ronin. I'll be moving around a room and outdoors capturing footage of people milling around enjoying themselves.

Will by usual approach of manual focus and a high fstop work in this situation as well? It's all new to me. I normally shoot in 25 frames for second and 1/50th shutter speed. The video is rendered at 25fps (I'm in the UK).

Also, would I be better to use a higher frame rate if I'm moving around and the people are moving? And if I do use a higher frame rate, will it look all wrong and "slow mo" when the video is produced at 24fps? I've still not got my head around what I can and can not do with frame rates when filming, given that the end video will be at 24fps. I'm new to video (as you might have guessed)

I also have a DJI Osmo, but that is not so good indoors in low light situations; hence the need to use the A7Sii.

Any advice is most welcome.

cheers

John

I'd recommend having a monitor mounted to the ronin, and turning on focus peaking on your camera, as with my experience with both my ronin-m and cametv7800, its really difficult to view the back of the camera on the go. A record trigger is also recommended, although I dont use one yet. Shooting at super high apertures will be difficult, but 2.8-4 is fairly simply with a bit of practice.

Not sure about movemen and shutter speed. I'd always kept the rule to doubling shutter to fps, and stopping down with ND's/t-stop to maintain that. Higher shutters introduce flicker in indoor situations from memory